Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spencer Tracy missing from stars of August

I was totally amazed to see that Spencer Tracy is missing from the daily star tribute for this month. TCM has over 40 of his films available. Someone certainly slipped up. It's rather amusing to see that they actually are showing 10 of his films which they are attributing to other people. They couldn't ignore him completely but still. . . . . .

Ariel

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Spence was missing from the August line-up. I found it a little strange TCM would include Elvis and even Peter Sellars and ignore one of the greatest actors ever. Perhaps they felt that by including movies with Tracy on other actor's days would be enough. I remember when Spence was the star of the month on TCM his body of work was so large and varied they showed the dramas on one night of the week and the comedies on the next. I haven't seen that for anyone else.

Kathryn has it right - we can't do everyone and we did Spencer Tracy last year. I'm sure we'll do him again in the future. We wanted to do many of the stars that we didn't do last year (including Presley and Sellers). I think 19 of the 31 stars from this year are different from last year.

I hadn't noticed that Tracy was missing, but one star that I noticed was missing right away is Norma Shearer, and I don't think she was included last year either.

I understand and applaud the fact that TCM is trying to pay tribute to as many stars as possible, especially by including new names to this years lineup, but hopefully something will be done for Shearer in the future - especially since TCM owns the rights to all of her movies.

To tcmprogammer & sagebrush,etc this is obviously a grand topic & close to my heart-(as *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" is my 1st & foremost of just #2 Idols!!!-(I'm surprised someone has not tipped me to this one? Mongo, classicsfan1119 or mypalspencer-(all great cinefans & pals as well!!!) Anyway, you were correct he was TCM's "Star of the Month" April of 2000. I recall, that just about every year though, *Spence for the most part, takes a back seat to: *Bette Davis-(1908-89) whom shares same birthday of April 5th. Yeah, they put his flix on all month, but not nearly as celebrated as *Bette!? They oughtta' give 1 one yr. the most coverage & then reverse it on the next. Anyway, I was telling some other(s)-(& this question is directed to Mr. tcmprogrammer for most pt. Cary Grant & *Chaplin, have now been voted> "Star of the Month," twice!? I have the back issues of "NP" & am wondering if this will eventually occur with several heavyweights? I don't believe Box-0ffice Champs: Shirley Temple-(yeah, she was "King," over "The King-Gable" 1935, 36,37 & 1938. & Mickey Rooney was champ: 1939, 40 & 1941.)

I'm not certain if either has td been "Star of Mo.?"-(at least I don't have a back issue of it. Mine date back to 1998 & '99) I know they are an acquired taste. How about: "The 3 Stooges?"-(problem is, the features are far & few between & lame. Shorts were their forte') Stan & 0llie I guess are also in same boat?

Thanks for the interest in the greatest motion picture actor of all-time though!-(someday I'll post a list of his fans, followers,etc It's quite massive!)

those are great suggestions - I'd love to do Shirley Temple, but it's a matter of licensing the films; we might be able to do it in the coming years

as for Grant and Chaplin, there were special circumstances for both - a new documentary for Grant (and the year of his 100th birthday) and an acquisition of all those great Chaplin films (it was just a couple of years ago we did him, and it won't be for a while that we highlight him again)

one thing we have to keep in mind with star-of-the-month is that we are adding new subscribers all the time; some people who've had us from the beginning remember a star we did, but we a lot more people who didn't even receive TCM a few years ago who missed out on the SOMs

I can't stand the 3 Stooges, but if we had the films we'd definitely do them as a "star-of-the-month" - it's a matter of licensing the films, which is expensive

tcmprogrammer - thanks for your very honest response about "The Three Stooges" - I laughed out loud, and I feel pretty much the same way about them - they were just too stupid for my taste.

But I would love to see Laurel and Hardy showcased in some way. I know that I've mentioned this before, but I can't stress enough how much I would love to see their films and shorts. Although acquiring them might be difficult, since I've been told that the company that owns the rights to them (Hallmark? I believe) keeps a very tight hold on them, which is why we have seen so few of their films released onto DVD. But if you guys could play them you'd make me and I know many other L&H fans very happy. Their comedy is timeless.

And P.S. - I just wanted to say personally how much I'm enjoying the "Summer Under the Stars" festival. Once again everything is great - the lineup, "Now Playing", and the homepage on the website are all top notch as usual.

Thanks. I love Laurel and Hardy. While I don't like the Three Stooges, I know they're popular and we'd love to have them; at the same time, they have played a bunch on AMC over the past few years. You're right about Hallmark - they own the rights to Laurela and Hardy and we need to talk to them about acquiring them for television.

• 2 weeks later...

Stars of August

Robert Shaw was born in August and died in August. How about the little films he made before Jaws. "The Luck of Ginger Coffey" "The Hireling" "Man for All Seasons' and the oh so maligned Swashbuckler.