Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's Christmas Eve...What do you watch?

My line up today is:

Christmas in Connecticut (since I cannot wait for tomorrow's airing)

Charlie Brown Christmas (for the kids)

Ernest Saves Christmas (probably a lot of boo's on this one but I love it)

It Happened on Fifth Avenue (if there's time after last minute shopping)

> {quote:title=cinemajestic wrote:}{quote}

> Great line up Geoff. Upon every Christmas Eve I pop in the 1896 TV film starring Loretta Young called "Christmas Eve".

Yes, that was a wonderful version, but I didn't realize Loretta was that old:

http://www.rabelais.nl/assets/images/autogen/a_robida_vingtieme_siele_1883_telephonoscope.jpg

:)

Chris,

*Bedtime for Sniffles* is wonderful. I have it on one of the Christmas movies on TCM from a few years back.

I'll be Tivo'ing *Remember the Night* as we have friends coming over for drinks and snacks this evening.

I may tivo *Chicken Every Sunday* as I haven't seen that movie in almost 45 years.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> If I only get to watch one thing it is "Bedtime For Sniffles." A WB cartoon. Granted it is only 7 minutes but it is not Christmas Eve without it.

Thanks for the reminder. Haven't seen it since I was a kid, and just found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o0tucIzXoE

Haxwell Mouse Coffee!!!

> {quote:title=cinemajestic wrote:}{quote}

>Of course we all have to include the 1938 and 1951 versions of "A Christmas Carol" as well.

>

Have you ever given the 1935 version (starring Seymour Hicks) a chance? Not the most well-known version, but in many ways my favorite. Well worth seeing at least once, then you can decide which is YOUR favorite.

Here's info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026972/combined

It's available for viewing here:

And this is the essential complete uncut 78-minute British version, not the cut-down 63-minute American release:

http://www.archive.org/details/scrooge_ipod

It's not hard to find on DVD from various sources, either.

Have to watch several Christmas films all week, and still didn't get to watch Miracle on 34th Street(Fox kept running the 1970's version, did they ever run the original one?) The 1938 version of Scrooge(found a tape with the Alistar Sims version a few weeks back) Or Remember the Night. But that's cool, there is always next year, and they will seem a bit fresher.

But, we have to watch It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas eve. And to think, I almost thought skip it, and watch Remember the Night because I was tired, and not sure if I could stay up for the whole thing! Well we watched it as usual. I don't know how a film I have seen so many times, back to the days PBS stations ran it, can get me so emotional, but it does! What a master filmmaker Capra was, and to think, no Oscars for him or Jimmy Stewart!

Edited by: ziggyelman on Dec 25, 2009 9:53 AM

for putting in the wrong year for the 1938 version of A Christmas Carol.

Jean's Shepherd's "A Christmas Story." I watch this movie every year on the foundation of having once had a special sort of holdiay, when I had the same experience of receiving a gift (as a child) to always remember, unlike no other. While this motion picture has at times been viewed as being a bit too explicit and grotesque in some ways towards the holidays, there is a warmth and poignancy to the main theme, that in the end directs itself towards so much sentimentality. It's the movie's overall American outlook and a reality that we can relate too and come to understand that while the movie does have a bit of bizarre family attitudes, it speaks from the heart and soul of a child wanting and hoping to have that all important gift at Christmas time. It's about a moment in time that will later on define the character and life of that child; having longed for something that takes their imagination to heights and unexplected places beyond the simple daily realites.

Yes "A Christmas Story" is great. It reminds me exactly of my boyhood growing up in the late 1940s.

It will be shown twice more this afternoon on TBS.

As a matter of fact, I found the film to be so accurate, it brought back many memories of the true ?horrors? of being a boy child in the late 1940s. I now remember that it was like being in prison, a world in which bullies lurked behind every tree, and all adults could, at times, be very menacing. And I was always in trouble over one thing or another.... including my desire to receive a gift of a Red Ryder 200 shot BB gun, which I did finally receive.

The exaggerated fantasies and daydreams of the kid in the movie is exactly the way I remember my life as a child of the same age.

In the movie, the kid tended to see himself as a fully grown and mature, but permanent, child, and a child that would be a child forever. While the rest of his world was filled with powerful and often mean and threatening giants.

PS: I?ve also been watching as many of the TCM Christmas movies as possible, and this year has been a very good one for Christmas movies on TCM. Later I plan to watch as many of the Sherlock Holmes movies as possible.

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Dec 25, 2009 1:04 PM

What I watched last night probually will go down in the books as the weirdest lineup.

"Giant Squid Caught on Camera" (updated since last airung)

"Squid Invasion" (Humboldt).

What you see is the *first time* in history, the adult Architeuthis has ever been seen alive - caught on camera by Tsunemi Kubodera. You don't want to know whats in his Christmas stocking!

*Eat your heart out Ray Harryhausen!*

squid.gif

What I'm "watching" today is I am dubbing the Sybil Jason movies that aired November 23rd over to the DVD recorder I just got for Xmas. Trying it out, what I see is great!

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

>

> What I'm "watching" today is I am dubbing the Sybil Jason movies that aired November 23rd over to the DVD recorder I just got for Xmas. Trying it out, what I see is great!

>

I am sure you'll enjoy spending the day with the films of the charming Sybil Jason. I know from previous posts that you, like me, are a fan of hers.

Merry Holidays, Ham!

> What I watched last night probually will go down in the books as the weirdest lineup.

>

> "Giant Squid Caught on Camera" (updated since last airung)

>

> "Squid Invasion" (Humboldt).

>

> What you see is the *first time* in history, the adult Architeuthis has ever been seen alive - caught on camera by Tsunemi Kubodera. You don't want to know whats in his Christmas stocking!

>

The adult giant squid was caught on camera in 2006 by the same team that first videotaped the juvenile one. I thought I saw the updated version of "Giant Squid: Caught on Camera" earlier this year or last on the Science and Discovery Channels, and it had been updated to include the footage of the adult. Was the version you saw on Christmas Eve a brand-new update for Christmas Eve, and if so, what was different from the last updated version that showed footage of the adult?

The updated version was extra footage of an adult Architeuthis caught. It didn't live very long.

Don't confuse this with the capture of a Colossal squid that was accidentally captured and was put on ice to study.

Seeing this makes one think twice about deep sea diving doesn't it.

diagram.gif

Hollywood done several spins on it, most over exaggerated.

"Kraken", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "The Beast"

Yes don't forget Ray Harryhausen's giant octopus in "It Came From Beneath the Sea" (I haven't seen it in quite a while)

octopus.jpg

Happy Holidays

beware-of-giant-squid-20081224-132813.jp

> The updated version was extra footage of an adult Architeuthis caught. It didn't live very long.

>

> Don't confuse this with the capture of a Colossal squid that was accidentally captured and was put on ice to study.

I saw an updated version of "Giant Squid: Caught on Camera" earlier this year or last (I think it was in the summer) that had footage of the adult in it. It had been updated since the original which had only footage of the juvenile. The updated version I saw was not of the Colossal squid. It sounds like what was shown on Christmas Eve was just a repeat of the updated version I saw earlier this year or last. "Giant Squid: Caught on Camera" originally aired in 2006 or 2007 with footage of the juvenile and was updated to show footage of the adult in 2008 or early 2009.

> Seeing this makes one think twice about deep sea diving doesn't it.

It certainly does! I also saw "Squid Invasion" earlier this year (at the same time they showed the updated Caught on Camera, I think) and they said even though the squid were too deep to be a danger to swimmers, divers were definitely staying clear of the area until the squid moved on.

>

> beware-of-giant-squid-20081224-132813.jp

By the way, I like your Happy Holidays image with the squid at the bottom. Hmm, if Santa Claus can conquer the Martians, maybe it's time for a film in which he conquers a giant squid? I've got it: Santa Claus is delivering presents to the Snorks (if you don't know what Snorks are, you don't want to know) and is attacked by a giant squid. Santa must teach the giant squid the true meaning of Christmas. (Maybe with the help of Snow Miser and Heat Miser.)

Lol, I remembered that cartoon that use to be on TV but never watched it. I have a Color Computer video game called "Q-bert" and for some reason I always called that charactor with the funny nose a "Snork". Just some weird mental connection I guess.

qbert-cubert_1234213961.jpg

> Lol, I remembered that cartoon that use to be on TV but never watched it. I have a Color Computer video game called "Q-bert" and for some reason I always called that charactor with the funny nose a "Snork". Just some weird mental connection I guess.

>

Q-bert was one of my favorite video arcade (and now, online) games. Now that you mention it, he does look like a Snork. And I have never watched an episode of the Snorks either, but sometimes I see the beginning or ending of The Snorks on Boomerang coming on before or after another cartoon I am watching.