Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New 31 Days of Oscar Promo

Did anyone else catch the new *31 Days of Oscar" promo that was shown yesterday (Saturday) during the *Holmes for Christmas* marathon? The one I saw struck me as the short version which leads me to think that there is a longer version coming (if it hasn't already, but there are no threads so perhaps the long version hasn't debuted yet?)

There is a new piece of music but the coupling of films and effects are similar to the last two years.

Any reactions?

*But is it my imagination or is this TCM campaign now starting earlier than ever?*

I don't think so. TCM usually starts promoting upcoming features and special themes about five weeks out from their viewing date.

It's probably just my memory failing me, I could have sworn they started promoting that one in mid-January, but if you say they generally do it 5 weeks before they start, you are most likely quite right.

This year ought to be extra-special, with Alec Baldwin co-hosting the Oscars. It'd be great if they could shoot a promo or two with him saying something like "Don't forget to watch '31 Days of Oscar' - only on TCM!!".

That'd be way cool. :D

*It's probably just my memory failing me, I could have sworn they started promoting that one in mid-January, but if you say they generally do it 5 weeks before they start, you are most likely quite right.*

I'm afraid it's your memory. The 2009 *31 Days* promo began running at this time last year. There's a thread in the archives with the time stamp.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote} ... is it my imagination or is this TCM campaign now starting earlier than ever?

I don't know, but it would make sense for TCM to start running it over the holidays. I'm sure that the Holmes marathon attracted a lot of people who may not be TCM regulars and it would be a chance to try and get them interested in TCM's next big event.

*And "31 Days of Oscar" is probably TCM's most heavily-promoted special programming in the whole year.*

Well, now that we've gotten that cleared up and the discussion back on track, I'd love to hear what posters think of the new promo.

As I mentioned in my original post, it has a new piece of music this year. What do y'all think of it?

Is there a longer version currently airing?

*"I'd love to hear what posters think of the new promo."* - lzcutter

I have only caught "snippets" - or even "snippets of snippets" as the ones I've seen have each been no more than 15 seconds each.

The first time I saw part of one, I was trying to figure out if I was looking at a projector, an editting machine or the back of an open 35mm still camera with the film still in it.

So far the promos have been too short to create any emotional reaction. And they go by so fast that, even from a promotional stand point, it is difficult to assess the impact of the pieces.

Hopefully a longer piece surfaces soon.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> So far the promos have been too short to create any emotional reaction. And they go by so fast that, even from a promotional stand point, it is difficult to assess the impact of the pieces.

>

I had sort of a similar reaction, now that I think about it. I looked in the TCM Media Room to see if there were any online, but no such luck. I think a longer promo will be much more effective.

lz, I have yet to see the promo, but you piqued my interest and I checked out the schedule that is posted on the 31 Days spot on the main page of the Board. I got to Feb 4 and saw *Romeo and Juliet* 1936 with Basil Rathbone and Edna May Oliver! listed as stars and my imagination went wild. I guess they are highlighting the "Oscar'd" stars in the credits on that particular schedule?

That makes for some fun!

*Thursday, February 4*

*6:00 AM The Green Goddess (?30) (George Arliss, Ivan Simpson)*

*7:15 AM Captain Blood (?35) (Ivan Simpson, Errol Flynn)*

*9:15 AM Desperate Journey (?42) (Errol Flynn, Arthur Kennedy)*

*11:15 AM Air Force (?43) (Arthur Kennedy, John Garfield)*

*1:30 PM Pride of the Marines (?45) (John Garfield, Eleanor Parker)*

*3:30 PM Above and Beyond (?52) (Eleanor Parker, Robert Taylor)*

*5:45 PM Flight Command (?40) (Robert Taylor, Ruth Hussy)*

*8:00 PM The Uninvited (?44) (Ruth Hussy, Ray Milland)*

*10:00 PM Kitty (?45) (Ray Milland, Patrick Knowles)*

*12:00 AM The Adventures of Robin Hood (?38) (Patrick Knowles, Basil Rathbone)*

*2:00 AM Romeo and Juliet (?36) (Basil Rathbone, Edna May Oliver)*

*4:15 AM Little Women (?33) (Edna May Oliver, Paul Lukas)*

I just watched the promo a couple of minutes ago, and tbh it's nice but perhaps a bit too subtle; the background music seems a bit underwhelming compared with the one I remember them using a year ago. The sprockets theme is nice, too, but I liked the old one better (the simulated stage/screen thing).

But in any case, I'm still excited about "31 Days of Oscar"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody else has yet commented on what this promo is showing, or at least what the images are clearly inspired by.

As one who has spent hours, no, days...make that weeks in the archives threading up the 35's & 16's on these, I can say that what we're seeing in the promo is a film's-eye view of a Steenbeck machine, a flatbed film editing machine, also used for viewing.

Here's more info and pictures:

http://www.steenbeck.com/

http://images.google.com/images?q=steenbeck&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=yAR_S9nyBpS1tgfbzemcDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CCEQsAQwBA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steenbeckhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steenbeck

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> As one who has spent hours, no, days...make that weeks in the archives threading up the 35's & 16's on these, I can say that what we're seeing in the promo is a film's-eye view of a Steenbeck machine, a flatbed film editing machine, also used for viewing.

>

musicalnovelty,

Thank you very much for explaining what that machine is called. Since I didn't know what the name for it was, it was kind of hard for me to refer to it specifically. I think it is a great idea that they used this.

Yesterday I went to the theater to watch Shutter Island, and in the so-called "pre-show", they showed the TCM promo for "31 Days of Oscar" - and it was so great to watch it in a large theater screen, with a pretty big audience! :D

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > As one who has spent hours, no, days...make that weeks in the archives threading up the 35's & 16's on these, I can say that what we're seeing in the promo is a film's-eye view of a Steenbeck machine, a flatbed film editing machine, also used for viewing.

> >

>

> musicalnovelty,

> Thank you very much for explaining what that machine is called. Since I didn't know what the name for it was, it was kind of hard for me to refer to it specifically. I think it is a great idea that they used this.

>

> Yesterday I went to the theater to watch Shutter Island, and in the so-called "pre-show", they showed the TCM promo for "31 Days of Oscar" - and it was so great to watch it in a large theater screen, with a pretty big audience! :D

>

It must have been so cool to see that on a BIG screen!

As we near the home stretch of this year's 31 Days of Oscar, I want to applaud the programmers for the incredible amount of work it must have taken to accomplish the 360 degrees theme. It not only led to some interesting comparisons (and comments from Bob and Ben), it produced a lot of titles with nominations in obscure categories that I might never have known about.

The kaleidoscope intro is a lot of fun. Still, almost all the images are of guys, including Dustin as Tootsie.

I completely agree with several people here regarding last year's 31 Days promo music -- it was superb. The 2009 visuals that accompanied it couldn't have been more moving. I don't know whether last year's long promo won any broadcasting industry awards, but it should have.

I get that the kind of circular "melody" on this year's music suited the 360 degree theme, but I'd really like TCM to bring back last year's theme as more permanent music for 31 Days of Oscar. Hey, if U.S. Olympic broadcasters are still using John Williams' popular 1984 theme for their intros...