Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Having trouble recording to dvd.

cteddiesgirl

As of last night, I am suddenly having trouble recording TCM films on my dvd recorder. I've never had this problem before.

I often record movies to dvd to watch at a later date when I actually have the time to sit and watch them.

Is anyone else having this problem now?

I tried it and I am having no problems. I recorded a few minutes of "The Odd Couple" and it played back perfectly in the letterbox format.

I receive TCM on Directv channel 256 and I'm using my new Panasonic DMR-EZ28 recorder and until I get completely accustom to it, I'm only using DVD-RW's for the time being. DVD-R's don't allow for mistakes.

I have to format my DVD-RW's before using each one for the first time. Read your instruction manual and see if you need to do something to your DVD's before recording. Also make certain your DVD-R hasn't been finalized.

I've read in my DVD manual that some companies copyguard the transmission which makes recording impossible to my DVD recorder. This will be a case in which the VHS recorder would come on handy.

I just also tried "Escape to Witch Mountain" and it records with no problems.

I've been recording to dvd for months. I'm not doing anything differently than what I've done before.

I tried recording Adam's Rib, Gold Diggers of 1935 and The Tender Trap. None of them would let me record them. I have not changed my set up in any way. I have not changed cable companies or anything else. I just tried recording The Odd Couple as well. They are suddenly coming up saying that I cannot record a copy protected program.

I have tried this on both of my dvd recorders (which are different brands) and neither will record from TCM anymore while just this afternoon I recorded a film from Fox Movie Channel with no problem.

I recorded *Private Life of Sherlock Holmes* as well as a number of the early Capra films from last week, all with no problem.

I've got DirecTV, like FredC and a couple of others, and everything is working just fine for recording.

What cable or satellite company are you with?

I'm with AT&T Uverse. Like I said, I've been recording for months, including just a couple days ago. I recorded Christmas in July and Chicken Every Sunday which were both shown Christmas Eve with no problems. I haven't even changed to a new pack of discs.

I've tried recording from the DVR and recording live while the program is being shown. It's just all of a sudden that I can no longer record anything from TCM.

Can you record programs on other channels?

I ask because if you can't it may be that a setting on your remote got changed or has UVerse done a very recent upgrade in your neighborhood or over the internet to your satellite box?

> {quote:title=cteddiesgirl wrote:}{quote}

> I'm with AT&T Uverse. Like I said, I've been recording for months, including just a couple days ago. I recorded Christmas in July and Chicken Every Sunday which were both shown Christmas Eve with no problems. I haven't even changed to a new pack of discs.

> I've tried recording from the DVR and recording live while the program is being shown. It's just all of a sudden that I can no longer record anything from TCM.

It sounds like Uverse has added copy protection. You could try calling them and asking about it, to see if it was deliberate. Of course most CSRs will be totally ignorant of this. If your DVDRs will record to DVD Ram discs, sometimes those are able to record copy protected programs. Also, there are filters available that remove copy protection, and will let you record. I have Comcast cable, and no recording problem on TCM, or anything else. I can even record OnDemand programs.

As stated in a previous post, I just recorded a film to dvd from the Fox Movie Channel with no problems. In fact, I recorded that one after I tried and failed to record Adam's Rib.

I'm not aware of any updates being done to Uverse. But they don't always tell you what updates they make.

In answer to someone else stating that some companies copyguard the transmissions, I'm aware of that. I have had that problem with other channels (such as Disney who is extremely proprietary). But I have never had this problem with TCM before. I just wanted to know if others were suddenly having the same problem or had the same problem before.

I'm glad you brought this subject up. I currently have a Samsung DVD recorder, and TCM is the only movie channel that I can record from. With all other movie channels, I get the message about being copyright protected. But I can still record from network channels. A couple of years ago I purchased another Samsung recorder and with this set I can record from any movie channel. It's great. I keep hoping that this unit will last a long time. Apparently all newer models, regardless of brand, have this block that prevents us from recording from all movie channels I've tried numerous times to call Samsung to get information on this, but they don't want to discuss this. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Terrence.

I have a Sony, which recognizes every copy protection scheme anybody ever thought of -- even the commercials on NGC and IFC shut the recorder off -- but I never had a problem recording anything off TCM until Saturday.

This could not have been a fluke since it hit copy protection just as *The Scarlet Claw* started and the copy protection was in place until the intro for *The Pearl of Death* began. That was the only movie in the 24-hour Holmes marathon I couldn't record.

I have DirecTV (TCM is channel 256).

I checked a couple of movies today (*The Merry Widow* and whatever is on right now) and was able to record a couple of minutes of each with no problem.

The only suggestions I've been able to get from people familiar with copy protection:

1) Get a recorder with a hard-disk -- you can often save to a drive even when you can't copy to a DVD.

2) Degrade your system back to VHS.

3) Buy a cheap DVD recorder -- the more primitive the electronics, the less likely it will recognize the various copy protection schemes (I've had both Philips and Panasonics that wouldn't let me record from purchased VHS tapes but didn't see the copy protections on any broadcast programs).

One other little tip -- if you hit a copy-protected program, switch the recorder's input to something else and back again (i.e. if it's set to LineIn1, switch to LineIn2 and back to LineIn1). It won't make a difference as far as recording that program, but sometimes there's a latency in the copy protection marker, and the recorder might still see it when you want to record a non-copy protected program.

I've never had any trouble with a copy-protected notice, though I haven't recorded anything in almost a week. Guess I'd better check later. I have a three-year-old Phillips DVD recorder, but my DISH equipment is almost eleven years old. I wonder if you have to have newer satellite and cable equipment (with a DVR) to get blocked? Weird. Please just get me through January 15th.

Well this sounds like the beginning of very troubling news. *Broadcast being copy protected* like the DVD's and Blu rays. If the industry is going to do this, I wonder what will be the limitations? If one wants a movie that is not copy protected then one will have to choose (maybe) edited, commecial laden broadcast?

This site is worth reading, might answer some questions. http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/packets001736.shtml

The million dollar question is will TCM start doing the same (if not already started doing so OMG), copy protecting their movies? If so then this will be a sad day for TCM viewers. I had a gut feeling sometime back that *digital* broadcast had to have a catch to it (sooner or later).

My DVD manual says that my recorder will NOT record copy protected material of any type and it also says, "Some programs has limitations on the number of times they can be recorded (CPRM)".

Thank god for old tech!! No way on Earth will I give up my VCR's now! This might be a factor why the industry is not pushing for a Blue ray recorder - its primary use would be a mute point! In other words why buy one!!??

Google the following search phrase - copy protected broadcast. Read and weep.

Footnote: I don't think analog cable has this, so I'm sticking with mine as long as possible. I knew my cable would come on handy as a type of "backup".

If you all want movies thats on TCM to be in your collection *you better start recording NOW!*

Yes, I am. I have been recording movies on TCM for two years and this is the first time I have been denied to record a movie. I noticed it when they were showing Sherlock Holmes and the last 4 movies I could not record. I thought, at first, it had something to do with the movies that are offered on DVD to purchase. I understand that, but for the old movies that are not on DVD, (and probably will never get to DVD), I enjoy recording them so I can watch them at a later time. I hope TCM will not block out all of their movies. I have AT&T U-Verse and I called them, but they have not helped me out very well.

One of the reasons I love TCM is they didn't pull that crap. I emailed my Cable provider for years to get me TCM and I have been so happy these past couple years.

Now I am unhappy. I didn't get Sherlock and we all know that Netflix has dollar store un-restored copies that stink so I am out the movies I didn't get to see that day, hoping to watch them at a later date with the family.. =(

I have old fashioned analog TV :-) and *just bought* my DVR a month ago specifically to record TCM & ;-) excersize programs. Mainly because the the times they are broadcast I'm sleeping. I pay through the nose for my cable, it's my prerogative. Haven't had any trouble yet except for simply forgetting to program the timer the other night for Adam's Rib.

It might be fun to start a "trading" section on this board where members can supplement each others recording gaffes. I'd gladly make a copy of anything I successfully recorded for just a blank DVD & SASE.

Illegal? What's so wrong about trading among friends?

I am certainly not an expert on the subject, but I spend a lot of time on the Audio Video Science Forum, and the Satellite/Cable tech people who post there say that the copy protection signal must be transmitted by the Sat./Cable provider, and sometimes they do so in error. Perhaps this is what happened with TCM and The Scarlet Claw. It can't hurt to complain to your provider about this. Perhaps they will correct the problem. The fact that many of us had no problems recording from TCM shows that it is NOT TCM doing it.

Although I have no trouble so far copying TCM movies to dvd I have had some trouble when I tried to copy from a vhs tape of a previously recorded program to dvd. It seems that on the tape I may have recorded some protective signal. As I tried to copy from the tape to dvd disc a message pops up similar to "This Program May Not Be Recorded". For example I recorded Our Dancing Daughters on vhs tape two years ago. I tried to re-record it on dvd was denied. I had to wait until it was reshown recently off the air and was able to with no problem. Yes, I hear that very soon that more programs will become unrecordable. I hope TCM in it's Now Playing Guide will let us know which movies we can and can't record.

OK,

ValentineXavier wants to help try to figure out what is going on. In one of the various Holmes' threads she asks people *HAVING* problems recording movies from TCM since Saturday:

1) What cable satellite provider are you using?

2) How are you recording- to your DVR or Tivo or to a DVD-Recorder or a computer or VHS machine?

Not everyone is having a problem so it's not coming from TCM. But with more info from those having problems, perhaps the more savvy tech types will be able to help.

Archived