Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?"

Thanks, TCM, for showing that great 80s favorite, Ferris Bueller's Day Off tonight as part of the TCM Remembers tribute, due to the tragic passing of every teenager's favorite director of the 80s, John Hughes.

I remember Ferris Bueller well because it seemed to be every teenager's favorite movie in the late 80s. All the guys wanted to be like Ferris, and all the gals wanted to have a boyfriend who was like Ferris.

It's hard to believe the movie's 25th anniversary is fast approaching. :0

But, as Ferris himself would have said (and in fact, did say), "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it".

390px-Shakeitupferris.jpg

I guess that I will be the only one on the board who will care about this thread. Maybe everyone else will accuse the movie of being too recent to be aired on TCM. I don't think that John Hughes was the greatest director who ever lived but I do think that he was gifted at what he did which was coming of age comedy. I'm happy that TCM is paying their respects to the writer/director. He may be no Elia Kazan or Howard Hawks but I do think he made an impact on cinema in the 80s. His teen films are still relevant today and all of the teen movies today wouldn't excist without his films. Weather you think that's a bad thing or not is ok but you can't deny that he made an impact on pop culture and cimema in some way, that's something that one rarely does in life.

HollywoodGolightly wrote:

<< But, as Ferris himself would have said (and in fact, did say), "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it". >>

Is that ever so true, couldn't be better said in this rush rush society. You should put that quote in the "Special Movie One Liner" thread.

That quote just reminded me of Bear Grylls of the "Man vs Wild" series in which he don't take the time to stop, just want to live life to the extreme.

I worked with a 50+ y/o woman who played this DVD all the time at work. She raved on about how fun a movie it is, so I made a copy for later viewing and haven't gotten around to it yet. I was kind of glad to see TCM play it. If it's a well made/well loved movie, then it's "classic" enough for TCM.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> I worked with a 50+ y/o woman who played this DVD all the time at work. She raved on about how fun a movie it is, so I made a copy for later viewing and haven't gotten around to it yet. I was kind of glad to see TCM play it. If it's a well made/well loved movie, then it's "classic" enough for TCM.

Glad to hear it, TikiSoo. I respect the opinions of those who don't think the movie wasn't "proper" material for TCM, but I'm also kind of glad that they honored John Hughes. I think you'll probably have a good time watching it, so let us hear about it when you get a chance to see it. :)

This movie is addictive it seems whenever I encounter it on the tube i am compelled to take yet another fix which will carry me to the closing credits. Mathew Broderick is as always marvellous and really who else could you see as Ferris?

I definitely think it was a good idea to honor John Hughes and play Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I was watching the first ten minutes and you could tell that the movie was very well made and fun to watch. I have no problem with TCM playing this movie and I do consider it is a classic because it is over twenty years old and a really good movie. I also liked the tribute to Patrick McGoohan because I am a big fan of his work in Dangerman and The Prisoner. I actually own The Prisoner on Blu-Ray and it is fantastic.

NOBODY PUTS FERRIS IN THE CORNER!

While it's not classic as in CLASSIC, lavenderblue made an excellent point in that TCM has shown far worse - real schlock - that is by no means the better for being older than 'Ferris.' And honestly, just how many more times are they going to show '7 Brides for 7 Brothers'? It's a good movie but seems like it's on every time I turn round.

ODDLY CHRISTMASSY

Though I've seen 'Bueller' more times than I care to admit, I'd never before watched it during the Christmas season, and it suddenly hit me ... it's actually a bit - a bit - like 'A Christmas Carol.' Allright, only a bit, but enough to make it more enjoyable.

Which reminds me, did TCM ignore Alistair Sim this year? Am hoping I'm mistaken.

While on the whole I prefer older stuff, an occasional more recent offering has its place as long as it's good. 'Bueller' beats 'Alien Teens Attack!' every time.

NO WAY ... WAY!

Can't help wondering - because I did it too, briefly - if part of the negative reaction to this being shown is simply the pistol-whipping effect of TIME. Do a double-take every time I realize the 80's were twenty-&-more years ago. Everybody knows the 60's were twenty years ago! Oh, wait ...

PRAISES OF TCM

Thought the Christmas-time & New Year's selections this year were excellent. The Barbara Stanwyck films were marvelous, 'Holmes for Christmas' incredibly clever and good fun, 'Holiday Affair' a splendid example of Mitchum's versatility, 'Thin Man' series tailor-made for New Year's Eve. Only wish I could be a fan - officially - of Asta. Is anyone else out there bats enough to think there should be a separate 'Animal Stars' section? Considering I've been known to watch entire films just for a dog, I may not be the best judge.