Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which silent film do you most look forward to watching on TCM in 2010?

There have been so many great premieres in the last year, that it's hard for me to think of many titles that TCM could show as premieres, either as part of Silent Sunday or to honor any particular actor or director - but I'm sure those of you who know even more about silents than I do will have no trouble thinking of some...

So, which silent film(s) would you most look forward to watching on TCM in 2010?

The restored version of *The Fair Co-Ed* (1927) with Marion Davies, Johnny Mack Brown, and Jane Winton.

The restored version of *Her Wild Oat* (1927) with Colleen Moore and Gwen Lee.

The restored version of *The Barker* (1928) with Milton Sills, Betty Compson, Dorothy Mackaill, and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

Eastman House copy of *The Trespasser* (1929) with Gloria Swanson, Robert Ames, and Henry B. Walthall.

It all starts with the fully restored version of THE BIG PARADE (1925) which TCM has never run since completed in 2004. They did run the movie last May, but it was still the Thames Silents presentation produced clear back in 1983.

Any of these Renee Adoree films would be most welcome premier's. MAN AND MAID (1924), AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES (1925) also with Eleanor Boardman, THE FLAMING FOREST (1926), THE EXQUISITE SINNER (1926), or FORBIDDEN HOURS with Ramon Novarro (1928).

Colleen Moore-in addition to HER WILD OAT, it would be nice to see the restored LILAC TIME (1928), TWINKLETOES, ORCHIDS AND ERMINE, or any other Moore features that Warner's own's.

Marion Davies- Besides THE FAIR CO-ED, Warner's also has LIGHTS OF BROADWAY (1925), BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK (1926), TILLIE THE TOILER (1927), and THE CARDBOARD LOVER (1928) stashed in the vaults. None of these have every been shown on TCM.

John Gilbert-After THE BIG PARADE, other Gilbert features that have yet to see the light of day include, HIS HOUR (1924), MAN, WOMAN AND SIN (1927) with Jeanne Eagels, TWELVE MILES OUT with Joan Crawford, and THE COSSACKS (1928) with Renee Adoree, and Nils Asther. The later has aired on France 3, but not TCM.

Eleanor Boardman- WINE OF YOUTH (1924), THE CIRCLE (1925), and PROUD FLESH (1925). None of these have been run before.

I'm just getting started here.

I'd like to see CHINA BOUND (1929) with Karl Dane and George K, Arthur, WHERE EAST IS EAST (1929) with Lon Chaney and Lupe Velez also any of the Tim McCoy westerns from 1928 or 1929.

I don't know if any of the McCoy westerns were ever issued with Vitaphone discs.

Those are some good choices. Hey Scottman, did you know about this? Classic Western Stars are being issued U. S. Postage Stamps! Including Bill Hart and Tom Mix! Maybe this will lead to Mix getting some movies on official DVD? Sure hope so. Here is a glimpse at 4 of the stamps.

stampsWesternAB.jpg

I agree with those choices mentioned by both Ed and Jeffrey, and I hope this year brings many wonderful surprises. I would like to see *The Fair Co-Ed* (1927), *The Barker* (1928), *Forbidden Hours* (1927) and *Her Wild Oat* (1927), to name but a few of many. If I indulge in a little wishful thinking, my list of surprises would include a Gloria Swanson film, *The Love of Sunya*, a Pola Negri film, *The Charmer* and a Tod Browning film, *The Mystic* with Aileen Pringle. My wish list of silent westerns would include two Tom Mix films: *My Own Pal* (1926) and *The Yankee Senor* (1926) and any of Fred Thomson?s films, but this is simply a case of wishful thinking. I hope to see more of Olive Borden?s films: *The Joy Girl* (1927) and *The Secret Studio* (1927) and John Gilbert?s films, *His Hour* (1924) and *The Wife of the Centaur* (1924), but for now I am looking forward to the John Gilbert films scheduled in which he appeared without Greta Garbo.

January 6th~*Laugh, Clown, Laugh* (1928) with Lon Chaney and Loretta Young

January 10th~*Bardelys the Magnificent* (1926) with John Gilbert and Eleanor Boardman, and *Rediscovering John Gilbert*, which airs the same night.

January 24th~*The Merry Widow* (1925) with John Gilbert and Mae Murray

January 31st~*Torrent* (1926) with Ricardo Cortez and Greta Garbo

March 14th~*The Magician* (1926) with Alice Terry and Paul Wegener

Karin,

Welcome back. You have been missed. If I may ask, why did you leave GAOH? Many people were saddened by your departure there. I sent you a Christmas E-mail, but did not hear back from you.

Another film I failed to mention was Lillian Gish ANNIE LAURIE (1927) with Norman Kerry. There is also IN OLD KENTUCKY with James Murray and Helen Costello, and GLORIOUS BESTY (1928) with Delores Costello that had been on the TCM schedule last May, but was removed from the lineup.

Should mention, I have a couple friend's who are getting to see HIS HOUR, and CAMEO KIRBY, at the Museum of Modern Art on January 7th. Which is also the Eastern Orthodox Christmas, and the day prior to my Birthday. Did you view the clips from FAZIL?

Jeffrey: thank you for your kind words, it is nice to know that I have been missed. A few major events in my life left me distracted and a little depressed, and I felt the internet was simply one more distraction. I didn?t see your Christmas message when I checked my email, but here?s a belated *Merry Christmas* and a *Happy New Year*. I?d also like to wish you *Happy Birthday* for Friday. Will you let us know what your friends have to say about *His Hour* and *Cameo Kirby* after you hear from them? I can only say that I?m a bit jealous; John Gilbert on the big screen, in all his glory as he should be seen. The two locations I used to count on for silent film screenings have adopted an alternative media approach and no longer include classic films on the schedule. No, I haven?t seen your clips of *Fazil*, but I want to see this film featuring Charlie Farrell; I?ll take a peek at them this evening. I agree with the titles you added: *Annie Laurie* and *Glorious Betsy*, but if start listing more titles, I might never reach the end of my list.

I have a general trivia question and I wonder if there is an answer. I watched Kevin Brownlow?s documentary *Universal Horror* last night, and one of the comments struck me as odd. The topic was the Frankenstein film and Boris Karloff?s make-up for the film, but the speaker mentioned George O?Brien in a passing reference. The speaker claimed that George O?Brien had worn shoes weighted with lead for his role in *Sunrise* (1927), which gave his character a lumbering gait and (may have) inspired the same for Karloff?s character. I can?t say that I remember George O?Brien walking in this manner (I need to watch the film again), but I wonder who thought and why they thought this should be part of *The Man* ?s ?characterization.?

• 4 months later...

I certainly won't be.... I can't wait to see those Cousteau docs. The man did a lot of inventive underwater photography, and besides, I think TCM Programmer does a fantastic job.

But of course this has nothing to do with what silents we wish to see.

PrinceSaliano,

Hey Prince, we learned last week at the TCM Classic Film Festival during the Fragments screenings that *THE LAST WARNING* (Universal, 1929) which you have asked about many times on these boards, is actually being restored by UCLA in 35 Millimeter. The project is well underway.It was the trailer that they ran at the event. No word on *SEVEN FOOTPRINTS OF SATAN* though. However, UCLA has also restored *BUTTERFLY* and *THE GOOSE WOMAN.* Possibly *SMOULDERING FIRES* as well.

Here is a link to an outstanding article on Film Preservation at the LOC.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-library-of-congress-unlocks-the-ultimate-archive-system

Prince,

Thanks, but I never said that *THE LAST WARNING* was going to be on TCM. That might be expecting allot. I said that we finally have confirmation that the film is actually being restored by UCLA film and Television Archive.

You could try requesting Frank Capra's *SUBMARINE (1928)* which was just restored by Columbia and Sony. *THE POWER OF THE PRESS (1928)* is also being restored after being voted into the National Film Registry last December.Impressive to see Columbia actually restoring Silents. But it's probably strictly due to Frank Capra. Although, they also had *THE BLOOD SHIP (1927)* restored a few years ago, and that is not a Capra film. Generally, Silent film titles are on the lowest end of the totem poll with most studios, if on the poll at all. To see Columbia or Sony directly involved in a restoration effort (and I believe that they are) is encouraging.

Say, don't forget TCM is running brand spanking new never before seen restorations of both *THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1920),* and *THE VANISHING AMERICAN (1925)* later this month. Both are on in the wee hours so be aware that these are premiers. I figure many people will not know that these are new versions and overlook the broadcasts. They are not on DVD either.

Supposedly, Criterion is releasing 3 or 4 of the Josef' Von Sternberg silents in august. At least according to the New York Times. Those might pop up on TCM.

We know that *UNDERWORLD, THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK* and *THE LAST COMMAND* will all be included. No word on *CHILDREN OF DIVORCE* which I'm convinced would sell three times as many copies as any of the other films combined. Gary Cooper and Clara Bow fans would all want it badly. I rather doubt that it will be part of the collection though. Sure hope to be proven wrong. I've dreamed of seeing the film for nearly 30 years!

Is this just for premiers? I've already mentioned wanting to see *J'accuse* in another thread. gagman has really got me wanting to see *The Big Parade*, also any other forgotten gems we want to see saved and restored so much. I also wish TCM could play MORE silents, one a week just isn't enough.

Hey, TCM is running *THE TRAIL OF '98 (1928)* this 5.30 AM in the Central Time Zone. morning during the Clarence Brown Birthday fest! Great cast headed by Dolores Del Rio and Harry Cary. Have you seen this before? Be sure to set your DVD Recorder, or DVR. This is rarely played, though it is on DVD-R from Warner Archive. The film is not complete missing about a reel. This hasn't run at all in 7 or 8 years!

Tonight's Silent Sunday's feature Marion Davis THE PATSY seems to be one of TCM's most frequently aired Silents. It has probably been run close to a couple dozen times since debuting in 2004. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. Great comedy, but just once I'd like to see some of these other Davies features BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK, THE FAIR CO-ED or THE CARDBOARD LOVER. Even QUALITY STREET. Something that they haven't showed numerous times before. THE LIGHTS OF OLD BROADWAY or TILLIE THE TOILER maybe.

It appears that as a Goldwyn Silent that Waner's does technically hold the rights to LITTLE OLD NEW YORK, though the elements are at the Library of Congress.

PHOTO_9215962_66470_8093159_main.jpg

The Big Parade with John Gilbert

Mysterious Lady with Garbo

Flesh and the Devil

La Boheme

The Kiss with Garbo (last silent film produced at MGM)

A Woman of Affairs

any John Barrymore silents

*THE BIG PARADE* is airing in 2 weeks. But again, it will not be the new 2004 restoration. Or if is going to be, than TCM had better start announcing so. That would be greatly appreciated. Many of us have waited six years to see the restored print. Actually, more like 8 years, because we were already waiting 2 years prior when the restoration process was just getting started.

TCM can only broadcast what they have to show. There are gobs of threads about this matter. Read the other threads in this part of the forum, it was just discussed again the other day.

The 2004 Restoration of *THE BIG PARADE* has never been made available to TCM by Warner's in a broadcast format. Even though it was expected to be for quite sometime. Thusly, they have to run the 1983 Thames Silents version, because that is all that TCM has access to.

Read this blog on TCM Classic Film Union and it will tell you everything you need to know. The Thames/Photoplay Productions version is great. The only version that I have ever seen, as it essentially with a few minor differences was what was released on MGM Laser-disc some 20+years ago in 1989. Never on DVD. Broadcast standards have changed dramatically since the 1983 transfer was produced.

http://fan.tcm.com/_THE-BIG-PARADE-1925/blog/347046/66470.html

>>we learned last week at the TCM Classic Film Festival during the Fragments screenings that THE LAST WARNING (Universal, 1929) which you have asked about many times on these boards, is actually being restored by UCLA in 35 Millimeter

Whoopee!!!!

At last we'll be able to see it properly rather than on smeary bootleg tapes! I wonder if Kino will release it as they did the other 2 films Paul Leni made for Universal? First THE MAGICIAN shows up on TCM & now this news. Life is good.