Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Last Seduction (neo noir)

*The Last Seduction (1994)*

A great great neo noir starring Linda Fiorentino in what I think is probably the ultimate sizzling femme fatal performance. Lots of twists and turns make this one a fun ride, saw this on the big screen in 1994 and had it on DVD but just re-watched it today for the first time in years, glad I did. Dircted by John Dahl with Bill Pullman and Peter Berg. Has a good score also.

A psychological thriller/ black comedy, Bridget, a refreshingly chain-smoking New Yorker, ruthlessly exploits the weaknesses of the bottom feeders she comes in contact with. She uses her sexual attraction to stun hapless men into slobbering idiots. I rate it a 9/10 check it out

This is actually one of my favorites, as far as neo-noirs go! I love Fiorentino's character here, she was one of the first femmes fatale who truly made an impression in me (and made me admire her, too!). I saw it for the first time when it came out on video for the first time, but haven't had a chance to revisit it for the longest time.

I would love to watch it again on DVD, or even a blu-ray, if they release one someday.

*The Last Seduction* was a film that didn't ring any bells with me, probably because it plows well worn ground without sprinkling any new seeds. This is a common failing of modern noir, as it often will shackle itself to rules and limits when earlier directors were breaking both. Think of someone trying to recreate an Edward Hopper painting, or perhaps late fifties Jazz in the present era.

Great innovators use their influences as building blocks to create new forms. Even those who recycle forms such as Tarantino, change perspective and context to make something unique, which did not seem to be the case here.

Stylistically you are right, it didn't break any new ground, I don't think it was even intentionally filmed in noir style, it just overall came out that way. Where I believe it did break ground is with the femme fatal character Bridget going lightyears past the morality code of the late 40's & 50's noirs, now if they had been able to do that with say Jean Peters, Jane Greer, Marie Windsor, or Margo Woode......

> {quote:title=cigarjoe wrote:}{quote}

> Stylistically you are right, it didn't break any new ground, I don't think it was even intentionally filmed in noir style, it just overall came out that way. Where I believe it did break ground is with the femme fatal character Bridget going lightyears past the morality code of the late 40's & 50's noirs, now if they had been able to do that with say Jean Peters, Jane Greer, Marie Windsor, or Margo Woode......

It was intentional. If you've seen his film *Red Rock West* (1993), it's obvious he is influenced by classic noir.

If it's just the morality code we're talking about, *Body Heat* accomplished that in 1981. The problem with both movies is they are the same formula as Billy Wilder's original 1944 film. Nothing has really been expounded upon except the sex scenes.

I wasn't trying to criticize your taste, just stating why I didn't care for the movie. We're all different people with different tastes and that's a great thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this one too. The plot evolves in intriguing ways, and her character is a trip. RED ROCK WEST is good too. Based on these two films, I made an effort to see more of Dahl's work. What a disappointment that was. JOY RIDE has some exciting action. But there's not much to recommend it. UNFORGETTABLE...wasn't!

I thought Linda Fiorentino gave one of the most memorable performances in "THE LAST SEDUCTION." Wasn't there some glitch that caused the film to NOT be eligible for Aca-

demy Award nomination?

The entire cast was great and I'm leaning towards believing they don't even make 'em like

THAT anymore. Yeah...maybe nothing new under the sun narratively...but who cares. I

marvelled at Fiorentino...she'd make Phyllis Dietrichson and Kathy Moffet and Martha Ivers

and Leslie Crosbie very very proud.

• 2 months later...