Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sfwitkin

cocktail name in "BF's Daughter"

Okay, this is random, but I believe it was on Barbara Stanwyk day, in the movie "BF's Daughter," that a woman at a bar ordered a drink called "Blood in the Snow." I can't find any info online about this cocktail, nor has any bartender I've asked heard of it. Anyone out there have a clue? Thanks!

Well. Patricia, I am NO expert, but I remember that as well....anyway...I asked around and someone else told me that Blood in the Snow is:

1/2 ounce dry vermouth

1/2 ounce sweet vermouth

1 oz gin

3 crushed frozen strawberries

thanks for the info! I am looking forward to sharing this recipe with an authorized mixologist & getting bloody.

I should probably move this over to the General Discussion board but...some one should put together a drink recipe book of drinks from classic movies. There would be a lot to choose from! When I read the original post it made me think of a drink that was ordered in "The Bishop's Wife". It stuck out in my mind because I thought it odd for an Angel to order a stinger. I think that was the drink.

circa - there is a book entitled "Hollywood Cocktails" or a facsimile thereof. I'll get the correct name and publisher later and let you know, its amongst some of the rubble I collect.

Mypalspencer....yup...I remember that book now.

I think it had the White Cargo in it....which I think is gin and vanilla ice cream....LOL!

Hiccup!...Excuse me, but a "White Cargo" consists of gin and vanilla ice cream, eh? Well, if I drank that concoction, I guarantee I'd be "green cargo"--green around the gills, no doubt. And a "Blood on the Snow" is dry and sweet vermouth, gin AND frozen strawberries!? Well, I'd undoubtedly be "asleep in the snow" if I imbibed that concoction.

In any case, you've piqued my interest in the topic and the "Hollywood Cocktails" book sounds like an entertaining read. I think it'd be more fun to read about rather than drink them all!

Here's a few cocktails from classic movies that I came across. I hope that others will add their faves to the list:

Anna Christie(1930): with Garbo ordering "Veesky. Ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby."

All About Eve(1950): when Margo Channing wasn't warning everyone to fasten their seatbelts for a bumpy night, she was knocking back Gibsons (1 1/2 oz. Gin + 3/4 oz. Vermouth strained into a martini glass and garnished with 2 cocktail Onions. The onions are no doubt providing needed nutritional value.). And of course, Margo reminded us that "I admit I may have seen better days, but I'm not to be had for the price of a cocktail like a salted peanut."

The Philadelphia Story(1939): Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant and James Stewart get delightfully pickled on Kir Royales, (3/4 oz. Creme de Cassis + Champagne). Remember those monumental hangovers that went with this one?

High Society(1956): Just a decade and a half later in the musical remake of The Philadelphia Story, Bing Crosby plays bartender, explaining to Frank Sinatra while preparing a deadly brew, that they call it "a Stinger. It removes the sting." (Stinger recipes vary, but generally, it's one shot of Brandy to one shot of white Creme de Menthe, shaken with crushed ice and strained into a glass. Consume and stand back for fireworks to follow. Angels, as in "The Bishop's Wife", who sip this one should definitely worry about becoming 'angels who fly too close to the ground'. Apologies to Willie Nelson).

Now Voyager(1943): Bette again sips to forget her troubles, and soon can't remember whether her bigger problem is her mean Mom (the sublime Gladys Cooper) or married, weak-willed honey, Jerry (Paul Henreid). This time she seems to favor a drink that sounds as though it would suit this Back Bay socialite--Old Fashioneds(The ingredients are usually 3 oz. Blended Whiskey, 1/2 oz. Water, 3 dashes of Bitters, a sugar cube and a cherry as garnish for that vital Vitamin C.)

The Thin Man(1932): Nick (William Powell) or Nora (Myrna Loy) orders something at some point during the proceedings called a Gin Rickey.(This usually consists of about 6oz. of Club Soda, 1 1/2 shots of Gin and a tablespoon of Lime juice, with a wedge of lime for garnish, served in a martini glass). Despite all the various adult cocktails in The Thin Man movies, if you watch several of the series, you'll notice that it seems that drinks are often made, discussed fondly, yet only occasionally consumed in their entirety. Those pesky murder mysteries seem to get in the way.

Good Lord. This list of devil's brews makes my liver glad it's "only a movie". Cocktails, anyone?

I think the first I learned about cocktails, martinis in particular, came from watching William Powell mix them at the beginning of The Thin Man. When he is showing all of the waiters and bartenders how to shake various kinds of drinks to different dance times it was just the correct blend of wit, humour, and sophistication. Shaken, not stirred had meaning long before James Bond showed up.