Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I, The Jury (1953)

Dir. by Harry Essex, very good adaptation of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer book. Biff Elliot and his bull in the china shop style grows on you as the film progresses. This film is also loaded with interesting character actors and features some great locations, it needs a better release.

Have not seen that one for decades would be nice to see it once again. During the 50's & early 60's the P.I. craze swept pulp fiction and Mickey Spillane's Mike HAMMER was my personal favorite. Some correct me sometime during the 60's Mickey himself portrayed Mike hammer in a film adaptation of one of his novels i seem to recall it was "I THE JURY"?

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> I don't believe I've ever had a chance to watch it. According to imdb, it was originally released by United Artists, so I'm not sure who would have the rights to it.

MGM should control the four Parklane Pictures featuring Mike Hammer. They distribute the much-seen Kiss Me Deadly as well as My Gun Is Quick, which airs on Encore Mystery sometimes.

I don't know if the '50s I, the Jury has aired nationally in the last two or three decades. I have a copy of the film on DVD that looks like it was made from a seventh- or eighth-generation VHS transfer.

Did any of you go to the 3D showing of I, the Jury in 2003, which was attended by star Biff Elliot? There's a user comment on the film's IMDb page about it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045902/usercomments

> {quote:title=danthemoviefan wrote:}{quote}

> Did any of you go to the 3D showing of I, the Jury in 2003, which was attended by star Biff Elliot? There's a user comment on the film's IMDb page about it.

>

Wait! This was originally a 3-D movie? Wow, it gets more interesting by the minute. :D

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=danthemoviefan wrote:}{quote}

> > Did any of you go to the 3D showing of I, the Jury in 2003, which was attended by star Biff Elliot? There's a user comment on the film's IMDb page about it.

> >

>

> Wait! This was originally a 3-D movie? Wow, it gets more interesting by the minute. :D

>

Interesting?

How about future Stooge Joe Besser in a small role?

http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=346

I don't think I've seen this one either. If I had, I'd probably remember. The book is pretty good. It would lend itself well to adaptation. The fact that the star is not a household name (not in my house, anyway) makes it even more interesting. THE GIRL HUNTERS is worth watching. Not a great movie. But it's presented in a realistic, understated style, and the author takes the role seriously, giving us a time wearied Hammer, full of confidence, but not full of himself. It's an interesting curiosity piece.

Edited by: redriver on Jan 9, 2010 5:41 PM

• 1 month later...

I have never seen the original from start to finish; only bits and pieces.

But I LOVED the 1982 remake with Armand Assante. I thought it was lots of fun, extremely sexy and did a good job of bringing the Hammer character to the present ... For me, private eye flicks are great fun, so it doesn't take much to keep me interested.

Anyone else like the remake?