Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
spencerl964

I know he was not a huge star, but J. Goldsmith deserved more ink!?

Most on this magnifico site already are aware that OSCAR winning composer: Jerry Goldsmith-(1929-2004) passed away of the big "C!" Problem being, it hardlt got any coverage & I am not only speaking of TCM-(they, actually had more than most of all the other sites I cover???) He was & correct me if I am wrong-(to ML, Mongo,etc Being huge motion picture scoring fans & all)

The oldest next to TCM pal & also ACADEMY winner: *Elmer Bernstein-(1922-) still out there composing scores too! *Goldsmith's last nom. was for "Mulan" (1998) & "L.A. Confidential" (1997) He only scored the gold once, for '76's "The 0men"-(upsetting *"Rocky" & it's now legendary music) & of course made the music for such flix as: "Sand Pebbles"/ "Papillon"/ *"Patton"/ "Chinatown" & a lot more! IN ESSENCE, THE MAN DESERVED MORE!

Thank You

(FINAL NOTE: To tcmprogrammer,etc This reminds me of a marvelous theme some month! 1 full month-(as opposed to having a "Star of the Mo." Make it "GREAT COMPOSERS OF MOVIE-MUSIC!" *Max Steiner, *B. Herrrmann & of course OSCAR champ:*Alfred Newman-(of the Newman dynasty) Plus, *John Williams-(most nominated person in A.M.P.A.S. history!) I know sev. whom would ove it-(see above fans)

Spencer, I'm not sure where you saw the Obit. for Jerry Goldsmith. I saw them just about anywhere you would normally see an Obit. for someone of this stature. Most media only give a partial listing of a much larger body of work, and only key points of a Biographical nature...all of which must fit into a limited space available in the Obit. section.

The Obit. that stood out for me was the one that I saw in a Newletter I receive called "Film Music News", which is for Film Composers and fans of Film Music. As you know, I also compose, so I'm especially fond of this Newletter. Goldsmith's Obit. in this Newsletter was more extensive than what I found elsewhere, and included more of his body of work, more Biographical notes, and also gave the location of his Public Funeral Service (how rare is this?), and directions for how people wishing to attend could find their way to it (in LA). It ended by saying that he is survived by a wife and five children. ML

Hey Spencer and Classics - Here's one ya'll will have a good laff with, I didn't even know he passed until it was posted on Turner. I happen to be a Victor Young lover though. One other thing, make-up artists are always popping up with the name "Westmore"(?) - is this a follow in the footsteps of the family thing?

Why on earth would we mention Miklos Rozsa and Bernard Herrmann (correct spelling of names) when the subject is about the late Jerry Goldsmith??????????????????????????

Mongo

bansai,

Jerry Goldsmith's score for THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS,along with PATTON, are two of my favorites.

ken, they are indeed two powerful scores by Mr. Goldsmith. He was quite good at his craft.

Mongo

When I think of Goldsmith's "echoing trumpets" in PATTON, it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! In the world of film composing, those few bars of music were pure genius, and one doesn't have to be a military person to realize it and feel the emotion. ;)ML