Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Pre-code films

stitch63

Among my favorite pre-codes are BLESSED EVENT (1932) with Lee Tracy, THE HALF NAKED TRUTH (1932) also with Lee Tracy and the sexy Lupe Velez. THIS IS THE NIGHT (1932) with Roland Young Charlie Ruggles and Lily Damita, and BEAUTY AND THE BOSS (1932) with Warren William and Marian Marsh, also ONE HOUR WITH YOU (1932) with Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette Mac Donald. GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 has some wonderful pre-code dialogue in it as well. BOMBSHELL (1933) with Jean Harlow and Lee Tracy is a hoot also.

There are many others I could mention, but these titles are some of the pre-codes that I will watch over again.

MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE; MURDERS IN THE ZOO; TERROR ABOARD; DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE; THREE ON A MATCH; BABY FACE; LADIES THEY TALK ABOUT; CALL HER SAVAGE; FRISCO JENNY; LILY TURNER; FEMALE; NIGHT NURSE; ISLAND OF LOST SOULS; I'M NO ANGEL; any pre-mid-1934 title with a hint of prostitution, drug use, homosexuality and illegitimacy.

I just saw Murders In the Zoo and liked it alot! Loved the opening shot in the jungle - I thought that was quite a shocker for that time period. I've seen alot of those listed but haven't seen Frisco Jenny, Lilly Turner or One Way Passage. I'll have to be on the look-out for these films. I really enjoy the Lee Tracy movies, there are still several pre-codes of his that I haven't seen yet.

One movie I'm surprised hasn't been listed is Sign of the Cross. I saw this last year and couldn't believe that alot of made it past the censors! It wasn't a very good movie overall, but was worth watching for the lesbian overtones and violence.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently watched a movie on youtube, Manhattan Tower 1932. It plays like a soap, several storylines that merge at the conclusion, the "tower" is the brand new Empire State Building, An actress I really like, Noel Francis, has a key role, and she is very alluring in this film.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Have you pre-code mavens seen ME AND MY GAL (1932)? Tracy and Joan Bennett. Very interesting film was on FMC the other day.

Never heard of this film, can't believe i missed it! Well, good news for those of us that missed it, it's on again, Saturday, February 13th, at 7:30 AM, EST!!!

• 1 month later...

O my goodness there are so many!

Baby Face, The Story of Temple Drake, Shanghai Express, The Devil is a Woman, Trouble in Paradise, She Done Him Wrong, I'm No Angel, Red Dust (so much better than Mogambo, I think) Gold Diggers of 1933, Animal Kingdom, Private Lives, Faithless, Duck Soup, It happened One Night. The Gay Divorcee, The Thin Man...I could go on and on.

Some I love for the camp value, like Blonde Venus (the Hot Voodoo gorilla suit number!), Freaks, Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein, Red-headed Woman, Wonderbar.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Heat Lightning last week (on DVR) and really liked it alot, especially since it had many of my favorite actors/actresses in it. I've enjoyed discovering Aline MacMahon and Ann Dvorak on TCM. My DVR only caught the last 15 minutes of Lily Turner so I'm waiting for TCM to show it again since I was looking forward to seeing this film. I also hope that TCM will schedule Temple Drake on TV since they are showing it at the film festival (which I really wish I could attend).

night nurse was good but I have liked clark gable in other movies better. I hven't caught many pre-code movies on tcm. I wish they would show more pre-code movies and more often.

Archived