Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

UNIVERSAL VAULT DVD-R

As of now, the following movies are offered exclusively via Amazon.com as DVD-Rs for $ 19,98:

Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain (1995)

The Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981)

40 Pounds of Trouble (1963)

Gambit (1966)

Resurrection (1980)

The House of Seven Gables (1940)

The Last Remake of Beau Geste (1977)

Pure Luck (1991)

A Bronx Tale (1993)

Stick (1985)

Dragnet (1954)

The List of Adrian Messinger (1963)

The Black Shield of Falworth (1954) .

The Perfect Furlough (1958)

A Good Man in Africa (1994)

Kitten With a Whip (1964)

Spawn of the North (1938)

Shout (1991)

Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)

Shoot Out (1971)

Tell Them Willie Boy is Here (1969)

The Brass Bottle (1964)

Death Takes a Holiday (1934)

The Chalk Garden (1964)

Blue Collar (1978)

Yes, one of the first I got from abroad. I reviewed it here in the Drama thread. This is what I wrote:

*Black Narcissus (Blu-ray) (UK import)*

This classic Deborah Kerr film looks absolutely gorgeous on Blu-ray. The colors (so important in a Michael Powell film) are rich and glorious. The picture quality's high definition details are excellent. Well worth owning. The trailer is also in high definition.

Because this is a region free DVD from England, it plays on our Blu players here in America. The movie and the trailer are perfect. There is an extra featurette about the film but since it is recorded in PAL, it won't play here.

All in all, a definite item to have for your collection.

Here's a new one announced by classicflix.com:

_*Cary Grant - The Early Years (TCM Vault)*_

Contains *Devil and the Deep* (1932), *The Eagle and the Hawk* (1933), *The Last Outpost* (1935)

Release date: February 1st.

http://www.classicflix.com/cary-grant-early-years-devil-deep-eagle-hawk-last-outpost-vault-p-9553.html

here's the link on TCM: http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/product.asp?shopref=TCM.comHome%3AShoptilyaDropBottom%3ACaryGrant%3ATheEarlyYearsCollection%28DVD%29-Available2%2F1&sku=D05287

filmlover, just ordered BLACK NARCISSUS and BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH from AmazonUK. Had also ordered SUNRISE, but I inadvertently picked the SD not the BR and did not know how to substitute if possible, so I canceled that item. But now I realize I should have canceled the whole order and started all over again. Think I might order again with some other titles so I will leave it that way. I do have the BLACK NARCISSUS from Criterion with some excellent extras so I am debating whether to sell the SD version. Btw, price came to about $18 each with postage.

• 2 weeks later...

I got Dragnet, and it's an excellent recent transfer from a high-quality element. Even the opticals look a lot better than many color films of this vintage. It's full-frame unmatted, and from the compositions it looks like 1.66:1 would have been the preferred widescreen AR. Doesn't suffer all that much unmatted, though.

As to whether you'd like the film, it helps if you're a fan of the Dragnet schtick, or of time-capsule glimpses into the culture of the early 1950s - the cars, the clothes, the decor - all there in vivid color. Lots of familiar faces from movies, TV shows (and commercials) of the 50s and 60s in supporting roles. I'd have preferred more on-location shooting in downtown LA and Hollywood; there's some (including a glimpse of Ciro's) but most exteriors are backlot shoots. I also would have liked more of the dom-da-dom-dom in the soundtrack, but that theme's biggest statement is reserved for the "The End" sequence. I'm glad to have gotten it in this quality.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I already caved in and bought the complete Abbott & Costello collection, which included It Ain't Hay as a standard, pressed DVD (it was the only Universal A&C film that wasn't included in the four volume sets), but I'm glad they're finally making it available as a single for people who don't want to buy all those movies again.

• 4 weeks later...

from classicflix.com:

More Universal owned titles, via TCM's Vault line, are on their way as a Pre-Code Double Feature is now up for pre-order at TCM.com and is set to release on May 2nd.

The likely two-disc set features The Song of Songs (1933) with Marlene Dietrich, Brian Aherne and Lionel Atwill; and Cary Grant's feature debut This Is the Night (1932) starring Lili Damita, Charles Ruggles, Roland Young and Thelma Todd.

and for June 6

More Audie Murphy has been the call, and Universal has heard it loud and clear with the scheduled D-Day release of their Audie Murphy Westerns Collection.

Owned by Universal, and released via TCM's Vault line, this set is now up for pre-order at TCM.com.

The likely four-disc set features:

Sierra (1950) - Wanda Hendrix, Burl Ives, Dean Jagger, Richard Rober, Tony Curtis

Ride Clear of Diablo (1954) - Susan Cabot, Dan Duryea

Drums Across the River (1954) - Walter Brennan, Hugh O'Brian, Jay Silverheels, Regis Toomey, Bob Steele

Ride a Crooked Trail (1958) - Gia Scala, Walter Matthau, Henry Silva

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

1944's Cobra Woman, starring Maria Montez, is finally on home video!!!

plus three 50's color Westerns:

Gun for a Coward (1957) -Fred MacMurray, Jeffrey Hunter, Janice Rule, Chill Wills, Dean Stockwell

Quantez (1957) - Fred MacMurray, Dorothy Malone, James Barton, Sydney Chaplin, John Gavin

Tomahawk (1951) - Van Heflin, Yvonne De Carlo, Alex Nicol, Preston Foster, Jack Oakie

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After a long lull Universal has added some upcoming titles to their Vault Collection:

AMAZING MRS. HALLIDAY, stars Deanna Durbin and Edmund O'Brien

ONE DESIRE, stars Anne Baxer and Rock Hudson