Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you remember the very first movie you ever saw?

Greetings from the Great White North.I ask this question because I actually do remember the very first movie I ever saw. It was Mike Todd's AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS and I was just over 3 years old. My mother took me as a special treat to the Royal Alexandra Theater in Toronto. I remember the place as being full of glass and glitter, of red carpet, satin curtains and mirrored doors. It was I suppose, a palace for showing movies.I was agog at the spectacle of it all. As for the film, I remember distinctly the music and the movie's title song," Around the World in 80 Days". I remember quite vividly, David Niven as Phineas Fogg aloft in his balloon with Cantinflas as Passepartrout. as for the rest of the film I have scant memories of it. It was a very long time before I saw it again;not before the invention of the VCR. I think my mom instilled in me a love for theater and movies in general, a love that has never left me.Hope you out there can share some memories of your first time at the movies. Best, BruceG.

Hi BruceG, greetings back from the Great White North [Hamilton, Ontario].

I think the first movie I saw was Ben-Hur--I was pretty young, not more than three yrs. old or so. I do remember I wanted to go home after the chariot race. That must have been the high point of the movie, for me.

First movie i saw was Bambi at the Drive in. I was so scared because of the fire scene that still to this day i have a fear of fire burning my world down, seriously that scene scared me so bad that I still remember crying really hard because of it.

Don't remember the very first. I imagine my parents took me as a toddler. There's a Tarzan film early in my memory. A couple of Disneys. But Steve Reeves as HERCULES is the one that got to me. Wow! I was four or five. Went home and played strong man for months. I think The pre-TV generation went to movies all the time. Nothing to do? Go to a movie! Who cares if it's already started? My mother wanted us to enjoy that experience. I'd say she succeeded nicely!

Hi cpc. Nice to have a fellow canuck on the wire. Saw lots of different movies back when I was a kid.I remember being taken to see JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH when I was about 5 years old. Loved that film, especially the volcano and all the lava, then the dinosaurs fighting on the beach, even though they were iguanas with fins glued to their backs. My brother took me to see MYSTERIOUS ISLAND for my birthday. Had to come back a week later because the projector was broken, but we got a raincheck! Try to get something like that nowadays.I think a movie usually had a double-bill and cost, maybe 35-50 cents, back when. Saw lots of other things back then:THE LONGEST DAY,THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE,BLUE HAWAII, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA etc. There never seemed to be any consistent frequency to new movies or runs in theaters.Where I lived as a kid (Clarkson), there were only two movie theaters nearby, the old Vogue and the Roxy. I believe there was a drive-in, but I was far too young to appreciate the romantic possibilities of those places until it was almost too late. So there you have it. I continue to go to the movies, not nearly as often as I used to, but nowadays you practically need to take out a bank-loan just so you can take your family out for a couple of hours.Best, BruceG.

Hi redriver.Do you remember when people smoked in movie theaters? As a kid I was always gagging on the smoke in the aisles, especially when you had to go up to the washroom or the concession stand.Sometimes the smoke was so thick you practically had to cut a hole through it just so you could see the picture!. Oftentimes you could even see the picture projected onto the cloud of smoke halfway from the projection booth. Weird, the memories. In 1967 or 1968 I saw a rerelease of GONE WITH THE WIND at a tiny theater in a north Ontario town. First time I ever saw a classic film on the big screen. Was quite impressed.Earlier, in 1965,I saw a rerelease of SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS at a local theater in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I was 12 years old at the time and thought the movie much too saccarhine for my mature tastes. In later years, though, I felt priveledged to have seen it on the big screen. Best, BruceG.

I was four years old, at a Drive-in near Midland, Texas. I think it was called "The Big Chief." I don't remember what the film was, but it was in 3D, and it made my eyes hurt. That's the first film I remember seeing.

I remember seeing lots of Disney stuff, and some Cinerama, that my Grandmother took me to in Oklahoma City, in the mid 50s.

I saw The Mouse That Roared, Journey To The Center of The Earth, and [/i] The Buccaneers,[/i] when they first came out, all while living in Maracaibo, Venezuela.

I remember the first time I saw King Kong. I was at a cousin's house, all the adults were away, and I was 8. I loved it, but it gave me nightmares.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> That was a problem with those old polarized 3D glasses. Gave many a *migrane.*

Not polarized, red and blue lenses. They never worked well for me, even up to today. I do like the modern polarized lens, and active shutter lens, versions of 3D. They almost look like holograms!

I was born in 1967, and I think the first film I remember seeing was Cabaret of all things! Checking IMDB, it came out 13 February 1972, so I wasn't 5 just yet. I know my Mom felt like it was a mistake, with the adult themes there, but I think most everything went over my head. Though I sure remember the sexy outfits she wore in it to this day!

I know I saw some Disney movies, but they were years after they first came out, so it makes it hard to know what was truly the first film I saw in the theaters.

A sorta funny story was seeing That's Entertainment when it came out in 1974. Imagine a 7 year old stting thru a 2:14 minute clip film on musicals! I think I asked my Mom about 50 times when it would end! Hard for a kid to grasp a film like that! Now of course, I really enjoy it, but man, at the time, it was torture! ;)

The first film I remember seeing was the film TCM showed last night on The Essentials-- *Battleground.* It must have been a re-release because I'm thinking it was around 1959 and it was at the Druid Hills Drive In, Maryville, Tennessee. I also have a vague memory of seeing *Darby O'Gill and The Little People* as a small child with my cousin in Chattanooga.

Edited by: helenbaby on Jan 17, 2010 8:02 AM

The first film I remember seeing was Sound of Music. My mom drove us to the local drive-in and I remember walking with my older brother to the concession stand to get popcorn and cokes. I was really cool to see this movie on the big, big, big screen.

I only remember certain things about the film. I definitely remember the opening aerial shot going through those beautiful mountains.

The first movie I remember seeing on tv and it scared the you know what out of me was The Crack in the World. All I can remember is after watching this on tv, I went to bed and had nightmare about having to climb up this lattice like structure from way down below, and in my nightmare, I slipped and fell off this structure to my death hundreds of feet below.

The first thing I can recall seeing is the JFK assassination on TV. I was just under four years old at the time. My grandmother was sitting on the couch crying and all I could think was what happened to the tv show I was watching at the time? Where it go? Who was this old geezer with glasses talking about some guy getting killed in some far off place called Dallas?

Dear Ziggy,

You have one cool mom.

My first movie experience that I remember is along a similar vein. I was born in 1978 and can remember the "dark days" before VCRs. The local library was holding a screening of The Maltese Falcon . I was about five or six and my Dad (a big Bogart fan) took me.

SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE TWO OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT SEEN THE MALTESE FALCON

I remember being blown away by the ending where Bogie hands Mary Astor over to the cops and says "somebody's gotta take the fall", and then tells her she'll probably only spend a couple of dimes in Quentin for it. It was the first thing I had ever seen that wasn't Care Bears and lollypops and Smurfs singing and holding hands and it blew my mind, but in a very good way.

Everyone who knows a kid between the ages of five and ten, rip the WII control out of their hands, and sit them down in front of something great and black and white. They'll thank you for it 25 years down the road.

ps- this is a really charming thread, odd little cancer tangent aside.

I remember seeing *Dumbo* on a re-release when I was very young. My bio-dad took me to see *To Kill a Mockingbird* in 1962-63. I was barely 5 years old but the scene of Scout in the ham outfit walking home with Jem stayed must have made an impact.

In 1969, I was watching the film on the late show one Saturday night (luckily Howard Hughes remained asleep and didn't wake up and demand that *Ice Station Zebra* be started) and it wasn't until that scene with Scout that I realized that had seen *Mockingbird* years before.

My brother and I used to joke that the library was the best theatre in town. It was there that we had our first look at MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, ARSENIC AND OLD LACE and other classics. And can you beat those ticket prices?

Hello, Maryville! Spent some time on vacation there back in the 60's. Knoxville, too. Most delicious water I ever drank.

My first was Alice in Wonderland or Bambi. I also saw Showboat about that time and I think that's my first live action film. I still love Ava Gardner's plaid and teal dress in the beginning scenes. I got bored before the end and went up to the nursery.

Yes, I said nursery. This was the Florida Theater in Jacksonville, FL. They had three floors and two balconies and on the third they had a nursery/playroom where our folks could drop us off and go see the movie. As long as they showed the ticket stub, it was free. There was always a lady in a nurse's cap and uniform meeting them at the door. After a while, they knew me so well that I could go up there alone with a stub and get in. Each floor had its own concession stand, too. If you ever saw the Tampa Theater on AMC when they featured the old movie palaces you know what it looked like. The Tampa one was vertical, the Florida horizontal and larger but the decorations were the same

Not only are movies different today but the experience as well. I hope those of us around then realize how blessed we were.

Hi helenbaby. I saw DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE in 1959. You triggered another memory for me!. Forgot I had seen that. My mother was Irish and well versed in the folk-lore of that country. She told me tales about the "Banshee" and what it did with your soul. Scared the stuffing out of me.Disney's rendering of it scared me half to death.Still, the movie was quite entertaining.Didn't realize for many years afterwards that Sean Connery was even in it.Best, BruceG.

The banshee scared the bright blue dickens out of me. I was literally traumatized! That was the most terrified I ever was until many years later, when I met my girlfriend's mother.

Edited by: redriver on Jan 19, 2010 7:45 PM

What a wonderful story, a nursery in the movie theater! When I went to the movies as a child, without a parent, we had a "matron" meeting us & directing us to the side seats. I remember the people on screen looking long & thin, so distorted & I was so unhappy that I didn't go very often. The first movie I remember being taken to was "Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs" & I was terrified of the witch. I also had my heart broken (& mended) watching "Bambi." As I grew up & ventured to other movies on Long Island, NY, we used to go to the Valencia Theater in Jamaica, L.I. which was a large, Art Deco place with stars & moving clouds in the ceiling & artificial box seats along the walls, plus a large balcony & loge where smoking was allowed. Alas, it's been demolished now, along with so many others.