Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

God's little Acre (1958)

Arkadin

If you?re looking for gold this afternoon, TCM is playing Anthony Mann?s *God?s Little Acre* (1958), which is a treasure of a film. Ty Ty Walden (Robert Ryan) is obsessed with finding gold on his property, but hesitates at digging a small plot of land that has been dedicated to the Lord.

For Ryan fans, it?s a great chance to see him in a completely different role, and makes you wonder about all the other great parts he might of played besides the darker characters he?s known for. This film was in DVD release for a short time, but is currently OOP, so grab it while you can.

Oh yes! I was just going to post a thread about this movie. This movie is AMAZING! Robert Ryan performs one of his best performances ever in this film. I found it on out of print DVD for like 3 dollars. It was one of the best finds I ever found.

This is a great recommendation and TCM rules for playing this title.

I watched it a while back on DVD and thought it was a great movie - and also one of the most unlikely ones Anthony Mann made in the 50s, a decade in which he for the most part just made westerns with James Stewart.

Also, I believe there are two versions of the movie. The old DVD from way back around 2000 or so has both versions.

What is the second version of this movie?

I have the slim case version from the Geneon DVD company. It only has one movie on it.

I agree about Anthony Mann and this movie. When I saw he was directing it I knew it was going to be good. He is one of my favorite directors. I am a huge fan of those James Stewart Westerns, I own a bunch of them but not all of them. I believe there is a nice set you can buy at Amazon.

> {quote:title=kimpunkrock wrote:}{quote}

> What is the second version of this movie?

>

I looked it up on amazon - the DVD that was released in 2001 by Image Entertainment contains:

* Contains both the banned, uncensored version (118 min.) and the alternate theatrical release cut (111 min.)

When I rented it, I watched the uncensored version and, sure enough, the stuff that they must have cut out for the theatrical release is totally tame by today's standards.

Oh thats cool, I thought you meant there was a whole different version of the film. yes I did read that on IMDB that there was an "uncensored" version. I have never seen that version of the film or that DVD. Thanks for the info, I will look around for that DVD version!

Believe it or not, watched this film, when it was first released. I was so fascinated by the Albino, as I never knew that such a person existed. It is one of the films, that has stuck in my mind all these years later. That movie and Tobacco Road. Don't know why I compare the two???

The books were both written by Erskine Caldwell, and got him in a lot of hot water at the time.

I missed the first part, but was glad to see a young skinny Michael Landon as the albino, Aldo Ray and Tina Louise (she seemed so tall) and Jack Lord and Vic Morrow. And of course, Robert Ryan as Ty Ty.

Thats really sweet that TCM played the long version. This movie needs to be properly released on DVD, so far two public domain companies have released it but both are out of print. But you can still buy both used or new from other sellers on amazon.com.

I got the geneon version for 3 dollars used at half price books. It was a good find. that company has put out a lot of gems within their public domain catalog including Men at War also with Robert Ryan and Cry of Battle with Van Heflin. Both of these movies are gritty war films made during the 1950's. They are both amazing, especially if you like underground B war movies like the ones that Sam Fuller also made during the 1950's.

Archived