Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's so sad. I can't stand when legends pass away. I was thinking not long ago how long Fay Wray has stuck around. ;) Another great one is gone. But man, we have some great memories. It just makes me appreciate Old Hollywood even more.... once the living links to it begin to fade away. But she was great. Her scream, too. :D

Here's a link to a news story:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/obit_wray

Way to go Miss Wray...at age 96! In fact the lady would have been 97 next month.

Certainly 1933 was a good year for Fay Wray since she starred in "The Vampire Bat", "Mystery of the Wax Museum", "One Sunday Afternoon" with Gary Cooper, "The Bowery" with Wallace Beery, George Raft, Jackie Cooper and of course the movie that will forever be associated with her, the one and only original eighth wonder of the world "KING KONG".

Miss Wray often said when she visited New York and looked up at the Empire State Building she felt it was like a part of her.

When she was asked to make a cameo in the latest remake of "King Kong" she declined satisfied to be associated with the original and thus far the best.

Mongo

Many Condolences to the family and closest friends of Miss Wray...a lady of true class right to the end. Hopefully, TCM will be able to squeeze in a Tribute (several actually for people we've lost this month) next month. I'm sure that TCM will want to just as soon as they can. Such a loss! ML

>Too bad the remake will probably overshadow the classic one.

LOL, kimbo, the REmake? As in Jessica Lange and a forgettable gorilla and...hmmm, was it notable for anything else? Was there a building in it? I wouldn't know, I never watched it, and never will.

The ORIGINAL? Fay Wray, sexy, vulnerable, naughty underwater scene. Stappy young guy on ship comes to her aid. Robert Armstrong at his best, crusty guy with a heart of gold.

New York in black and white in the 1930s. The EMPIRE freaking State Building, JUST built......sigh. There is NOTHING more beautiful than the Empire State Building.

And the scenes in the jungle, where that mother snatches up her baby just in the nick of time. And the black man gets squashed under Kong's foot. And the winged dinosaurs and T-Rex. The image of Kong playing with the broken jaw of the T-Rex. *shudder*

And the chaotic scenes in New York, at the nightclub and the faces on the subway.

And best of all, a vulnerable, empathetic misplaced ape who was a victim of opportunists and his only crime was that he fell in love. An ape who ruled in his environment and who (pre-Hays, I imagine) sniffed at clothes he pulled off Fay Wray. AND, Kong climbing the Empire State Building, can you EVER forget that? AND the resigned look on Kong's face as he let GO of his hold on the Empire State Building.

And the last words 'it wasn't the planes that killed Kong, it was beauty killed the beast'. And when I was little, I cried and cried for the ape.

Add to that the cinematography, and the music, and the (for their time) outstanding special effects. Special effects which I would STILL rather see than all the whiz bang Light and Magic zillion man marching armies.

King Kong is media history, to me it's as important as Citizen Kane or Wizard of Oz. It was of its time and it was about its time. It was beautiful and memorable, and will live forever.

Remake, you say?

WHAT remake?

I just heard the news of her death on the radio a short while ago. What a shame another legend is gone, but it's great that she lived to be 96! And she was still very active right up to the end. On MSNBC.com, they have a picture of her from May of this year on the observation deck of the Empire State, in their article about her death. She was always fun to watch in any of her films, and I especially enjoyed her in "Mystery of the Wax Museum."

May she rest in peace.

It's so sad to lose such a star!, she was so nice, genteel, beautiful, talented, I loved Fay Wray...besides the already mentioned, she was also very good opposite Joel McCrea in "The Hounds of Zaroff" (aka "The Most Dangerous Game), Richard Arlen in "Sea God", Fredric March and Connie Bennett in "The Affairs of Cellini", Joel McCrea and Miriam Hopkins in "The Richest Girl in the World", Wally Beery in "Viva Villa!"...and let's not forget 1928 "The Wedding March", a masterpiece made at Paramount under the direction of the genial Erich Von Stroheim...

It always seemed to me that she led a happy, quiet life. She is resting in peace now, I'm sure.

Fay Wray was one of my first crushes as a kid. I was about 5 yrs. old when I first saw King Kong on the Saturday Afternoon Movie back in the 60's. I, along with most males (human or ape) fell for Ms Wray as the movie progressed. It's her only film I felt this way about her.

It's been a great memory for 40 years now. Thanks Ms. Wray. :(

Don't know what I can add at this point. You all have done such a lovely job. I am definitely a Fay Wray fan. If anything, I have always wondered why she didn't get as many key roles as some of her contemporaries. She was so obviously gorgeous and talented. I've seen several of her lesser known films and she always seemed to be the best thing in them. She definitely emitted 'star power.'

I believe her famous scream in KING KONG is one of those defining moments in cinema history. That scene is etched in our memories and I, for one, cannot look back at the history of film and not have THAT scene come to mind. We will miss you, Fay!

One thing I forgot to mention --- she has one of the coolest screen names. :) Even by today's standards, IMO. Her real name was Vina Fay Wray, and most people back then probably would've chosen just Vina Wray or something similar, just because it sounded more like a starlet. But I always loved how the name rhymed. Most people couldn't pull that off w/their name and make it sound as cool.

stoneyburke666 ~ I forgot about that remake, but they another remake is in the works right now. The director of Lord of the Rings (I forget his name at the moment) is re-making it and I think it should come out next year. Some blonde actress, I think Naomi Watts (I forget if it is her) is going to play Fay Wray's part.

Nobody can do it better than Fay Wray though. The original will always be the best.

> It's kind of strange that recently, many Hollywood

> stars have passed away during the summer months.

> Lemmon, Matthau, Hepburn, Peck, Brando, and now Fay

> Wray.

Also Bob Hope, James Stewart back in '97 (that was another especially sad passing for me), and granted he wasn't a Hollywood star, but a television legend - Carroll O'Connor in 2001. And I'm sure we're still forgetting plenty more.

In a nice tribute to Fay Wray, the Empire State Building management has announced that the lights on the building will be dimmed from 9:30-9:45pm this evening.

"The Empire State Building and staff deeply regret the passing of our dear friend, wonderful actress and ambassador of goodwill," said Howard Rubenstein, a spokesman for the Manhattan landmark. "Ms. Wray epitomized the very grace and stature of a cinematic icon and will be deeply missed by all who had the privilege of knowing her."

Hats off to them for their gesture.

Fay Wray embodies true icon her passing sigh!....

makes me realize life is short though she lived a full

life,the passing still strikes at the heart her scream

in King Kong. her audience appearance at the academy

awards a few years back with Billy Crystal an endearing

moment she looked just super that nite! I loved the way

she handled stardom and she did n't let it handle her!...

Her decision to not appear in the remake of King Kong

was pure wisdom on her part,so we would cherrish the original and i shall no matter what remake lingers

on and on make king kong the original and Fay Wray the beauty the one and only thoughts and prayers to friends

and family members. lolite

I totally loved Fay as Anne Darrow in "King Kong." But I also loved her scream performances in two more early pre-code horror classics: "Mystery of the Was Museum" and "Dr. X." I think the reason Fay was such a knock-out scream queen is that she was truly beautiful with huge expressive eyes and of course that high-fidelity shriek that made your hair stand on end. In one interview, she said that in "Mystery of Wax Museum," she was supposed to smash the wax mask to reveal the monster beneath. She remembered that Lionel Atwill was so hideous looking that she froze--and director Michael Curtiz screamed at the top of his lungs as he let loose with Germanic curses. A second mask was made, Fay smashed it and then screamed and screamed--thrilling all of us forever. Fay, we miss ya, gal! I know you're happy up there with your big gorilla buddy!

I was fortunate enough to meet Ms. Wray around 1989 at her book signing of ON THE OTHER HAND. The lines were around the block, and the actress stayed until everyone got their books signed. A few months later she was an in-person guest for a special showing of KING KONG in Los Angeles. One hopes that Wray has participated in the Warner newly mastered DVD release of KONG due out next year.

It's sooo sad - another one gone from the Golden Years of Hollywood.

I am getting ready to run out my front door and watch the lights dim out on the Empire State building in a few...

Rest in peace, Fay!

Cindy

To harlowkeatongirl-(marvelous handle by the way!)&

apparently you are a fan of Jean Harlow-(it's astonishing when 1 ponders, she's been gone for 67yrs!) You are in 4-luck today on TCM & It's 2nd annual "Summer Under Stars"-(It's her day!) & to my friends> classicsfan, Mongo, sagebrush & mypalspencer-(I've actually known the latter a lil' longer than any. Unfortunately she rarely has time to check on in here at present!)-(almost forgot, our new member: klarkkent!) The rarely aired 1930 "Hell's Angels" is on again, on Jean's day! H. Hughes-(watch out for a huge bio by Scorsese on him, later this yr.) actually directed/helmed this picture & it's astonishing-(for it's time too) Airiel sequences!-(years before the mental problems really set-in)(P.S. Mr. Hughes, actually crashed directly into B. Hills many yrs. later! That was the final blow for the man) However, you brought out an excellent pt. in many celebs passing away during the heat of the Summer!? I don't know why of course. However, it seems to be a truism. Back in the summer of 1987-(over 1 weekend) *Lee Marvin-(1924-87)/ *J. Huston-(1906-87) & "The Great 0ne: Jackie Gleason"-(1916-87) all died?

But, last yr. was officially a record setter! It started with: *Peck & just kept rollin' Even my #1 Idol: *"The Great: Spencer Tracy"-(1900-67) finally went in June of '67! Then of course, just 2yrs. later, the stunning> Sharon Tate murders occured in August of '69. & as TCM is showing this week> Marilyn Monroe was found dead, also in August. Thank You

Thank You

Forgot an item that is ever so typical of our era! Universal Studios-(down here in Orlando, FL.) I don't know about the 1 in Burbank, CA?-(but, it's likely the same out there. Things in general start out west & make their way to the rest of the country)

On Fay Wray, passing away. It was only about a year ago. They took apart/dismantled it's tremendous-(I loved it anyway!) "King Kong" ride. Stating officially: "They thought it was not keeping up with the times & a kind of semi-relic of sorts" Nice, huh

I know! I saw a lot of it today :). Of course I'm not the only one in the house who wants to use the T.V. so I had to compromise on my viewing time, but I got my VCR tape out for "Hells Angels" (you're right, it IS rare to see on television!) and for the one-hour mini documentary hosted by Sharon Stone. I love the montage of images they showed of her during the show and the footage from "Hells Angels" that ended the show and what she said.

I can't quote it exactly, because again, "Hells Angels" has eluded my collection for some time... but it was something to the effect of --- "I don't want to settle down, I'm young and I just want to be gay and live my life and be happy."

That made me a little sad, thinking of how she passed away only seven years after that. And it was also ironic, because it was the exact OPPOSITE of what she actually had wanted. She had always wanted just to be a wife and a mother. It was only after she had made a few films that she actually began to really enjoy acting as something more than just a hobby or pasttime.

I just love her. And she missed so much. She was only 26 when she died in June 1937. By 1960, when her good friend Clark Gable died, she would not have only been 49, not even 50 yet! She could've made movies for several more years. Based on how versatile she had been in her short career span of less than a decade, she would've evolved with the times beautifully. I know it. And she was getting SO good. Not many actresses, even today, could make the full tranformation from racy sex symbol to all-around good girl in her roles. She definitely proved herself a great actress before she died.

But who knows, she may have bowed out of films later on to become a mommy, too. :D But she wouldn't have escaped us altogether. I'll bet she would've always returned now and then to do something interesting.

> To harlowkeatongirl-(marvelous handle by the

> he way!)&

> apparently you are a fan of Jean Harlow-(it's

> astonishing when 1 ponders, she's been gone for

> 67yrs!) You are in 4-luck today on TCM & It's 2nd

> annual "Summer Under Stars"-(It's her day!) & to my

> friends> classicsfan, Mongo, sagebrush &

> mypalspencer-(I've actually known the latter a lil'

> longer than any. Unfortunately she rarely has time to

> check on in here at present!)-(almost forgot, our new

> member: klarkkent!) The rarely aired 1930 "Hell's

> Angels" is on again, on Jean's day! H. Hughes-(watch

> out for a huge bio by Scorsese on him, later this

> yr.) actually directed/helmed this picture & it's

> astonishing-(for it's time too) Airiel

> sequences!-(years before the mental problems really

> set-in)(P.S. Mr. Hughes, actually crashed directly

> into B. Hills many yrs. later! That was the final

> blow for the man) However, you brought out an

> excellent pt. in many celebs passing away during the

> heat of the Summer!? I don't know why of course.

> However, it seems to be a truism. Back in the summer

> of 1987-(over 1 weekend) *Lee Marvin-(1924-87)/ *J.

> Huston-(1906-87) & "The Great 0ne: Jackie

> Gleason"-(1916-87) all died?

> But, last yr. was officially a record setter! It

> started with: *Peck & just kept rollin' Even my #1

> Idol: *"The Great: Spencer Tracy"-(1900-67) finally

> went in June of '67! Then of course, just 2yrs.

> later, the stunning> Sharon Tate murders occured in

> August of '69. & as TCM is showing this week> Marilyn

> Monroe was found dead, also in August. Thank

> You

> Thank You

Sad news, I always liked Fay Wray. At least she lived a long, full life.

Will TCM be pre-empting scheduled programming within the next few days, to air a Fay Wray film festival, in tribute to this great lady? It would seem most appropriate, especially since many of her top films are part of TCM's library.