Find results in...

?The Fountainhead?, best comedy of 1949

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> h3. OMG! The Drill!

> h3. In solid rock!

> I'm lovin' this!

>

> Tell me more!

When she first meets him, it?s in a quarry. He?s working down in the quarry with a heavy jackhammer type of forward-facing drill. She drives up as a rich dame, as if she owns the quarry. Then she gets out of her car and she looks down on him as if he is her slave. She admires his drill.

Later she goes home and purposely smashes the granite flooring in front of her fireplace, using a fireplace poker to do the smashing, then she asks someone to ?get that guy from the quarry to bring in a new slab of granite? to fix her fireplace, which is in her bedroom. He later arrives, knowing exactly what she wants.

Lunch break is over, and I must return to work... but before I leave,

>June Allyson: *I wish I had never seen your building. It's the things that we admire or want that enslave us, I'm not easy to bring into submission.*

>

>Jimmie Stewart: *N-n-no c-creator was prompted by a desire to please his brothers. His brothers hated the gift he offered. His truth was his only motive. His w-work was his only goal. His work, not those who used it, his creation, not the benefits others derived from it. The c-c-c-reation which gave form to his truth. He held his truth above all things, and against all men. He went ahead whether others agreed with him or not. With his in-in-integrity as his only banner. He served nothing, and no one. He lived for him-himself. And only by living for himself was he able to achieve the things which are the g-g-glory of mankind. Such is the nature of a-a-achievement...*

(Cue overblown theme music)

-Charlotte

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 21, 2010 12:23 PM, for it's a challenge to write with a subtle stutter..

>>I need to see this again. I put it in my Netflix queue.. I keep thinking there is a scene with Dominique (get it? Domin- ique / nance --Ayn cannot be subtle sometimes) where she has a whip. Am I mistaken?

Or naming the "villain" of the piece "Toohey" - the sound one associates with spitting.

King Vidor really wasn't enthused about making the film, but he did so anyway. At one point, Cooper wanted to make a minor change in a line of dialogue, but when Vidor reminded him that a change could not be made without Rand's consent and that she would have to be called to the set, Cooper opted to do it as intended.

Vidor thought the premise was flawed and fought with Jack Warner about it. "If I threw the film into the fire, do you think that the court would forgive me?"

"The court might, but I won't" replied Warner.

This movie is one on my guilty pleasures list. So over the top and odd one wonders how this got the greenlight at WB? (LOL) I guess it helped that Neal and Coop had the hots for each other IRL as they have sexual chemistry in spades. A good example of why a writer shouldnt adapt their book for the screen. What could have 40's audiences made of this? One cant deny it's entertaining..... Like the public would get that bent out of shape over architecture? I know it's all a metaphor but still.... (LOL)

Nice idea (Baxter) but she was a Fox player.

Boy, Director King Vidor was on a roll. The same year he directed Bette in Beyond the Forest, another overwrought melodrama (What A Dump! LOL) with a noisy Max Steiner score. Then a few years earlier he directed Duel In the Sun........

NICE IDEA about Anne Baxter! Neal is terrific, but yeah, this would've been right up Baxter's alley. Would've made her work in The Ten Commandments seem subtle and restrained.

Failing her, the only other person I'd like to see more than Neal is Jane Russell.

For the seventies remake: Faye Dunaway and Steve McQueen

For the eighties remake: Chistopher Walken and Grace Jones (she could've torn down the building with her bare hands, awesome!)

For the (standardly awful) contemporary remake: Harrison Ford at his most joyless and Sandra Bullock at her cutesey-pooiest.

Anne Baxter as a blond? I think she was doing scenery-chewing for All About Eve at this time. Loved her in that! She's a rather petite, small-framed lady (not unlike June Allyson). Just looking at her, I think she would have a challenge to deliver those lines with gravitas. She can be easily picked up and moved like a prop. The riding crop scene would have looked childish.

But hey, thanks for the comment Jonny. I think I have a great title for my new screenplay because of your observations..

More on FLW and Ayn maybe later... I'm looking up a couple of things that aren't jiving with my readings on these two.

Looking at the movie and how it must have played in the theaters, I keep thinking - Another Office scene! I need more popcorn..

You know who really hard the challenging character? *Kent Smith....*

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 22, 2010 9:40 AM

Can you imagine anyone actually following Rand?s philosophy?

Can you see yourself going to your boss and telling him:

?Yes, I?ll design your building, but I?ll design it my way, and it will look the way I want it to look, even though it looks stupid to the entire rest of the world!?

Or:

Walmart stocking boy:

?Yes, I?ll stock your shelves, but I?ll only stock them with what I want them to have on them.?

FLW was a strong believer of the individual within the community. Ayn was not. It is interesting she would use as a platform a Architect, someone attuned to the desires of a community. And Roarke -the Ultimate Individual! - designs for the community. He is Resolving a Community crisis... How disjointed can it be?

Architects are not unlike screenwriters. They create worlds for others to occupy. But they can never forget they just develop the blueprint, and once it is given over to the builder (or director) it becomes a collaborative process. My biggest **** moments in the movie are with the dialog. This could have been so much better, but at one point Coop wanted to change just a couple of words (during the trial scene) and Warner told him that it would require Rand herself coming to the set to approve his changes (unusual situation). Coop backed down and read the drivel as written - for us to enjoy as Ayn not intended.

Once we embrace a Philosophy, it will be proven wrong.

(sorry I don't remember who said it)