Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Im4movies2

Zacherle Chiller Theatre Host

Who remembers the outrageous tv host of the 60s-70s named Zacherle.? He modeled himself after Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera and made wild jokes and comments during the showing of horror films Who was this talented actor? Is he still alive?

Oh, remember him quite well, and it's all but impossible not to associate all those grade-Z (for Zacherle) sci-fi and horror movies I digested as a kid with the man and his cadaverous presence.

He's still alive and will be 92 in September.

A friend of mine has a painting of Zacherle in his dining room and was introduced to to him through photos and video clips. A quick Yahoo search brought this: [his personal page|http://www.zacherley.com/]

If he's still making appearances, he must be still alive. Unless he's really the ghoul he claims.

I remember him well, and glad to hear he is still with us. I watched his show on one of the NYC channels as a kid, although I don't remember much about it. Later, I remember hearing him as a dj on a NYC rock station.

Yes, I remember him very well on WABC-TV Channel 7 in New York. It was the last half of the 50's and the Universal horror package of films was leased to TV for late night viewing.I was a teenager and I loved watching the films with Zacherlle doing filler during the breaks. Remember this was way before cable.

Yep, I remember ole Zach a bit. What North By Northwest is to TCM,

The Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman was to Zach. Didn't he have his

"wife" in a big cardboard box or something, that he would poke with a stick?

When he turned up on WNEW-FM that was a head scratcher at the time.

I don't remember listening to him, but I do remember listening to Alison Steele,

The Nightbird.

WPIX brought Zacherley back a couple of years ago to host a screening of TARANTULA. They limited his interstitials to very brief spots which was too bad - Old Zach was very sharp and there was a clarion call for regular revisitations. So far, no Zach.

His little friend "Amoeba" should return too!

2b.jpg

As we've discussed before, a lot of regional markets had their own "horror hosts." I imagine NYC's was top of the line. The concept is great fun for kids. Not to mention...

My God, I loved Zacherley and never missed his late night shows. His wife was Isobel she lived {lived ?} in a coffin and his lab assistant was Igor I believe which was a burlap bag hanging on the wall behind him. I remember one show where Igor was sick and Zack had a pill which looked like an old fashion bomb, round and black with a fuse sticking out of the top. Well he lit the fuse, told Igor to open wide and threw the bomb into the sack, Then he turned to the camera to say something and there was a loud poof and smoke started pouring from the sack and he yelling at the camera "go back to the movie" as a couple of stagehands rush in . The next day there was a item in the papers that the stage hands would refuse to work on his show if he ever set fire to a set again...He was GREAT. I still have my collection of "Famous Monsters of FilmLand" and he's on a couple of the covers..Loved his inserts in the film, you would be watching the film and maybe the villagers were chasing the monster, them they cut to Zach sitting on a curb and he'ld say something like "Hi Frankie, out for a little stroll?" then back to the movie....LOVED HIM