Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite NYC movies?

What are your favorite movies shot or set in NYC?

Mine (in no particular order):

1. *Manhattan*

2. *Ghostbusters*

3. *On the Town*

4. *Taxi Driver*

5. *The Naked City*

6. *Gangs of New York*

7. *Across the Sea of Time*

8. *The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3*

9. *West Side Story*

10. *When Harry Met Sally...*

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> It looks like Kiss Of Death (1947) was filmed shortly before The Naked City. I believe the entire movie was done in New York and that gave us the casting of Richard Widmark in his first film role.

Those are also good additions, mrroberts.

Of course, The House on 92nd Street (1945) preceded them by a few years. I believe it also involved quite a bit of location shooting in and around Manhattan, as well as Washington, D.C. (including the then-new J. Edgar Hoover FBI building).

Well, Breakfast at Tiffany's you'd think would have been on my list, given my screen name, but I don't think it is one of the movies that really makes the most out of the location, and when I watch it, I still think that a lot of it feels like it was filmed in a backlot.

I mean, obviously they shot on location for the scenes with Audrey in front of Tiffany's. But the scenes in the apartment, and even the conclusion in the back alley, all feel like shot in a soundstage and/or backlot.

I don't remember that scene very well. If you've seen the movie recently, you probably remember it better than me.

In any event, it's still one of my favorite movies, I just don't think about it so much in terms of a NY movie, even though it is set there and was obviously filmed at least partly on location in NYC.

I know, I know - that seems a bit contradictory, but I've just grown so used to my favorite scenes in the movie looking so much like they were shot in a studio....

> {quote:title=CharlieT wrote:}{quote}

> I guess when you live in a small snowbound midwestern town (like me), you tend to buy into the fantasy more readily.

Well, it is, for the most part, a pretty compelling fantasy. But when I think of "NYC movies" that I like, it's very hard not to put more attention to the ones which were either shot entirely on location, or at least had most of the film shot there.

With Breakfast at Tiffany's, many of the key scenes, or at least the ones I remember best, happen at her apartment or, for example, when she sings "Moon River", on the fire escape of the building - and these look to me like they could be anyplace.

It's an odd thing, but that's just the memories that come to mind when I think about the movie. I don't see why many other people wouldn't consider it among their favorite "NYC movies". ;)

I'm relieved someone brought this up. Most productions never do *every* thing on location. Mostly establishing shots. Or the eccentric shot that ties to the location immediately. The unsung heroes of this discussion are Production Designers and DPs. They help put us into the story visually better than anyone else.

Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House always struck me as shot in NYC/Conn, while it was Hollywood all the way. The house is still standing in Malibu Creek State Park.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> I'm relieved someone brought this up. Most productions never do *every* thing on location. Mostly establishing shots. Or the eccentric shot that ties to the location immediately. The unsung heroes of this discussion are Production Designers and DPs. They help put us into the story visually better than anyone else.

>

For a very long time, it used to be cheaper to just shoot in the backlot and maybe have a 2nd unit get some establishing shots or something. More recently, however, it seems almost anything that is set in America can be filmed in Canada instead, because it is cheaper for the studio.

Edge of the City

Cry of the City

East Side, West Side

The Taking of Pelham, 1, 2, 3 (original, of course)

The Clock

Bell, Book, and Candle,

You're a Big Boy Now,

much of what Spike Lee has done, including:

She's Gotta Have It

Do The Right Thing

Malcolm X

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Feb 7, 2010 11:54 PM

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

>

> For a very long time, it used to be cheaper to just shoot in the backlot and maybe have a 2nd unit get some establishing shots or something. More recently, however, it seems almost anything that is set in America can be filmed in Canada instead, because it is cheaper for the studio.

I know. How many are you aware the location of Juno is suggested to be Minnesota? I think it was shot in Vancouver, however.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> I know. How many are you aware the location of Juno is suggested to be Minnesota? I think it was shot in Vancouver, however.

I think there was something in the movie that established it was supposed to be Minnesota, but I don't remember what. :P

And yes, they filmed in Vancouver and other small towns in British Columbia, according to imdb. Been to Vancouver a couple of times and thought it was really beautiful :x