Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Sting

Pucka

I would really love to hear some thoughts on the great con-man/caper movie "The Sting." I've been re-watching it recently and have been fascinated by some very minute details layered into the film. For example, has anyone else noticed how the sounds of footsteps are used to identify and explain many of the characters? Also, Chicago is 'The Big City,' not New York City, as was the case in many films up to this point.

Just curious to hear some thoughts and learn some new/different facts.

Hi Pucka! :D

The Sting is one of my favorite films. I've been holding off on watching it again because I wish it would come out on blu-ray. But I have probably seen it many times over the years. I don't recall the sounds of the footsteps, except when Redford's character is being followed by you-know-who (I don't want to post a spoiler).

But with such great music, cinematography, set design, etc., I think it would look great in high-definition.

P.S. If anyone wants to hear the theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDGibUnfGK8

oooooh HD. that would be amazing.

next time you watch it, listen to the footsteps of the leading men.

Snyder, Lonnegan, Hooker, and Gondorff all have various patterns/sounds of walking. it's a fairly ****-attentive thing to notice, but it's kind of fun, nonetheless.

> {quote:title=Pucka wrote:}{quote}

> next time you watch it, listen to the footsteps of the leading men.

>

>

> Snyder, Lonnegan, Hooker, and Gondorff all have various patterns/sounds of walking. it's a fairly ****-attentive thing to notice, but it's kind of fun, nonetheless.

No, I think it is a fun thing to notice. It's the kind of thing that frequently you do not notice consciously, but subconsciously it is probably affecting you and enhancing your enjoyment of the movie.

I'll definitely listen carefully to the footsteps of all the main characters next time.

True, there are things that the viewer may not notice consciously. But I'll listen for the footsteps the next time I see the picture.

And there's a lot of great dialogue here:

"He's not as tough as he thinks."

"Neither are we."

"After what happened to Luther, I don't think we could get more than a couple of hundred guys."

And Robert Shaw:

"We have to discourage this sort of thing -- do you follow?"

• 3 weeks later...

just an FYI... completely off topic of 'The Sting,' but i just wanted to say that i appreciate the feedback. i'm completely new to this whole forum/TCM website thing, and still trying to find my bearings. i am an avid classic movie fan, and while i know an excessive amount about this topic compared to the average person, i am afraid that compared to many folks on this site i will fall short. ...those are just my silly worries, and that being said, i greatly enjoyed getting some responses on this little factoid-thread of mine :-) so thank you all!

Pucka:

On behalf of everyone, welcome to the forum. And your post about THE STING shows that you definitely have something to offer. I've seen the picture several times, and I never noticed the footsteps motif. That's the sort of thing that adds to one's enjoyment. I love watching a favorite movie and seeing (or hearing) something new about it.

• 2 years later...

Airing 10:45 PM this evening. I see TCM's schedule listing has it classified as a Comedy. I wonder if that's an error in judgement, or is this really a comedy? I don't know, maybe I'd call it an Action-Thriller...easy on the Thriller.

The scene in the alley, where Redford is between the (perceived) killer and the waitress - that's my favorite. The first time I saw that, it got me. Totally fell for it. Beautiful work.

Archived