Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LITTLE CAESAR! :)

Hey this pre-code gangster gem was on earlier this morning, looking forward to spending some time with it later! It's one of my all-time faves! Clearly a very early talkie, but gotta love Eddie G's performance, one that, somewhat unfortunately, cemented his legacy as a gangster/tough guy for the rest of his career, though he was much better than just that, clearly. But no one outside of Jimmy Cagney does it better than Eddie G!

That little preachy prelude appears in both Little Caesar and The Public Enemy which I suppose is why they are linked. I prefer Caesar because he is a more developed character and of course Mr. Robinson is so believable. I find the ending ironic. He shows no interest in the Church, kills a fellow Italian-Catholic who is on his way to confession, yet as he is dying turns to the "Mother of Mercy" (Mary) not out of sorrow but ego angry that he will do so in the gutter.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Some folks still consider this one the original gangster movie, and it's hard not to be at least a little moved by Rico's last words...

>

> Of course some also prefer Paul Muni in Scarface or James Cagney in The Public Enemy - but this one seems to me like the one that set things into motion.

I love all 3! I think that it may have been Robert Osborne that mentioned that DOORWAY TO HELL was an earlier gangster talkie than LITTLE CAESAR, but wow, the impact that this film had! I love them all, but Eddie G is my favorite among favorites!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I love all 3! I think that it may have been Robert Osborne that mentioned that DOORWAY TO HELL was an earlier gangster talkie than LITTLE CAESAR, but wow, the impact that this film had! I love them all, but Eddie G is my favorite among favorites!

I confess - I have not seen Doorway to Hell just yet, although if it's aired recently, I probably have a recording and will try and catch up as soon as I can.

But, yeah, all 3 of the well-known titles are definitely milestones of gangster cinema, and I'll probably never tire of watching them. :D