Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Myrna Loy is TCM's "Star of September!"

For those on hear-(it's unlikely I scooped Mongo on this, but maybe? I sometimes get ya')

Myrna Loy-(1905-93) whom as most real cinephiles are aware, was voted "Queen of Hollywood," in same 1938 poll that voted *Clark Gable "The King!"-(I know he was never that fond of "The Crown" But, I really don't know how Myrna felt?) I can guess & have actually read of a few other ladies'/heavyweights: *B.Davis, *J. Crawford & *Norma Shearer. That were more than a bit angry-(especially the 1st 2 actresses!) that their legion of fans, let them down-(to them anyway?) when Loy was voted "Queen," over them. Anyway, a lil' scoop-(HOPEFULLY!)

Awesome awesome news! I will be without TCM this September unfortunatly, but I'm getting someone to tape all her early films! It's great that they are showing so many of her earlier films, some pre-Codes from before she was a big star. And of course they are showing her ones with William Powell and the rest of them too. I like how they split up the days according to co-star and types of films. Smart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I'm new here but enjoy reading everyone's posts. Just had to say how much I love Myrna Loy. From the first time I saw her and William Powell in the "The Thin Man." They are just magic. Did you ever notice how the acting of everyone else in that film (even Maureen O'Sullivan) is very old-fashioned, yet Bill and Myrna's acting is so modern and contemporary?

When I was a teenager there was a talk show hosted by a man named Mike Douglas. He had the actress Kristy McNichol on his show discussing her role in the 1975 movie "The End." She was very big in the TV show "Family" at this time. Anyway, Mike was asking her about the other famous actors in this dreadful Burt Reynold's movie and I remember Kristy talking about them.

There were several other older actors in the film - my memory escapes me - but Myrna Loy played Burt Reynolds' mother.

She mentioned how nice this one lady was and how everyone treated her with such respect. Mike Douglas finally said to Kristy, "you don't know who she is, do you?" And the audience completely lost it. I'll always remember that. Precocious teen that I was - Myrna Loy was probably the only reason I went to see that film.

If you're not familiar with Miss Loy's work, please check her out.

Have you guys seen the "spot" for her yet, narrated by Julianne Moore? It's excellent - one of the better ones that has been done - and she doesn't just gush over Myrna Loy, like Melanie Griffith did about Jean Harlow, or Cher about Katharine Hepburn. She made some good points, especially about how natural an actor Loy was, and how she was somewhat ahead of her time - just as someone else mentioned in this thread - how natural she and Powell were in "The Thin Man."

I think it's great that TCM is paying tribute to her - she's a true legend - one of the heavyweights of Hollywood's Golden Age.

I can't wait to see the Julianne Moore tribute to Myrna Loy! I remember the first time I saw THE THIN MAN and AFTER THE THIN MAN. Myrna Loy & William Powell were wonderful, and the films were so funny & entertaining. I've watched MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE many times. It was amusing the first time but gets better on repeated viewings. She has such a beautiful voice. I could listen to her all day! I love having Myrna Loy as the star of the month!

i agree Myrna Loy was the best! :) while some posts on this site MAY NOT consider her a A-List actress i do. but even IF she wasn't? who cares? some of the greatest actors OR actress started out as a B-movie actor OR actress! the Great Christopher Lee has done MANY B-Movies in his LIFE! think "Funnyman" circa (1994) i got that 1 on dvd & that's a

b-movie! it's an ok movie 2. anywys sorry for rambling on. hehe anywys my ? is simply this did anyone tape "THE THIN MAN" series Circa (1934-1947)? besides me? hehe 1 MORE THING

reason i posted that thing on b-movies right HERE is simply cause i 4 get where it was i saw that people said negative things about the late N great "Myrna Loy"!

I loved the MYRNA LOY tribute narrated by Julianne Moore. The movie stars who voice the star tributes really seem to like the person they talk about. TCM made this one extra special (to me at least). I hope they show it many times. I was also hoping for some other rare in-between Myrna Loy film segments. I saw the WIFE VS. SECRETARY trailer but not much else. I've taped nearly everything between her Wednesday night films but they only show non-Loy segments/shorts. Since she is the STAR-OF-THE-MONTH I was hoping for some rare film shorts she appeared in. TCM has to have something rare, other than movie trailers. Something never played on TV before.

I loved the MYRNA LOY tribute narrated by Julianne Moore. The movie stars who voice the star tributes really seem to like the person they talk about. TCM made this one extra special (to me at least). I hope they show it many times. I was also hoping for some other rare in-between Myrna Loy film segments. I saw the WIFE VS. SECRETARY trailer but not much else. I've taped nearly everything between her Wednesday night films but they only show non-Loy segments/shorts. Since she is the STAR-OF-THE-MONTH I was hoping for some rare film shorts she appeared in. TCM has to have something rare, other than movie trailers. Something never played on TV before.

I agree, catcarson123. The tribute was subtle enough to be very rewarding over and over again. Cher's tribute to Hepburn was too 'Cher', if that makes sense. All I could HEAR was CHER.

I've decided that Myrna Loy is a 'woman's woman'. Like the press had decided that Spencer Tracy was a man's man. Carole Lombard is another 'woman's woman'. An actress who makes me smile just to LOOK at her. Carole and Myrna (and others, but not Bette Davis or Joan Crawford) have an indefinable 'something' that talks to me.

Sounds nutty, but there you are.

As I've mentioned on another thread, I think that (as of today.. may not have been true back in her prime), Myrna Loy is the most underrated female lead actor in the history of cinema. Her combination of looks, wit, and sophistication are superb! Perhaps her reputation has suffered because in her later roles as a supporting actress her roles don't generally seem to have been written to take advantage of her great talent. I don't know much of her biography, but when I see those later movies I get the sense she took the roles, which didn't fit her, because she needed whatever work she could get. If I'm correct, it's a real pity. Perhaps some of you know some of her later films where she did shine, and might point them out to me.

For some reason Loy didn't work much in the 1950s and even lesser in the 1960's. Maybe by that time the roles just weren't there or maybe she just chose to work less. But she does shine as Paul Newman's drunken mother in FROM THE TERRACE and has a nice role as Doris Day's aunt in MIDNIGHT LACE. I have Loy's autobiography and I need to re-read it again. Loy was always a favorite of mine and I wrote her a fan letter when she was alive to tell her so. Also, she was gracious enough to autograph several photos I sent her.

I love Myrna Loy. She was amazing and the term under-rated really applies to her reputation. One of her very best films is not included, and that is THE RAINS CAME. Oh she was terrific in that film and even received an Oscar nomination for best actress, but lost to Vivien Leigh.

As I recall from her autobiography, she wondered if one of the reasons she worked less as she got older was the impact of the Hollywood blacklist. She was very liberal and politically active.

Fortunately though she did work in various parts, and I wish one of these tv networks would air the Myrna Loy episode of "Love, Sidney" which some of you may remember was Tony Randall's sitcom in which he played a gay man in NYC. I saw it when I was 17 but I recall Myrna Loy played a great scene with Tony on a bench in Central Park.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Btw, I don't think that Loy is underrated by classic movie buffs, just by the general public, who respect Bogie and Gable, Harlow and Monroe, etc., but don't know the actors whose fame was not "kept up" after the 40's.

As for her being a liberal, and so I presume, supporting those who were blacklisted, if she wasn't herself, that would easily explain her lesser presence in later decades.

The only thing that dissapoints me about Myrna Loy month is that lousy picture of Myrna on the magazine for the Star of the Month promo. By the way concerning that promo, am I really suppose to believe that Julianne Moore wrote the words that she speaks. She wouldn't know Woody "One Take" Van Dyke from Dick Van Dyke.

Richard, I agree that "The Rains Came" is a glorious epic, sadly owned by Fox, so maybe no way of watching here at TCM, a great cast: Tyrone Power, George Brent, Nigel Bruce, Maria Ouspenskaya, Joseph Schildkraut, Jane Darwell, Laura Hope Crews, Marjorie Rambeau, Mary Nash, H.B. Warner & Henry Travers...great special effects, of an earthquake, a monsoon, rains, floodings...and Myrna Loy plays Lady Edwina Esketh with great skill, looking ravishing in those great gowns she wears through the movie. Definitely a must-see.

Myrna was born on August 2nd, the same day than me, so I feel "closely attached" to her, "somehow"...and she was down-to-earth, funny, sophisticated, sexy, elegant, talented, etc.

I bought her autobiography "Being & Becoming" and I'm eager to read it. For great stills and feedback about her films, try to get her out of print "The Films of Myrna Loy" by Lawrence J. Quirk.

Some really outstanding movies of Myrna: "From the Terrace", "The Best Years of Our Lives", "The Thin Man", "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", "The Mask of Fu Manchu", "Cheaper by the Dozen", "I Love You Again", "Penthouse", "Broadway Bill", "Libeled Lady", "After the Thin Man", "Double Wedding", "To Mary With LOve", "Manhattan Melodrama", "Love Me Tonight" and "The Animal Kingdom".

If she was liberal, I admire her for that, too.

I also like THE RAINS CAME. Another pretty good Loy film not on this month is BROADWAY BILL directed by Frank Capra.

Last week Robert Osborne mentioned TCM was showing 6 of the 7 films that co-star Loy and Clark Gable. NIGHT FLIGHT (1933) is the only MGM Myrna Loy film TCM has never played. Besides her and Gable it also stars John Barrymore, Robert Montgomery, Lionel Barrymore, & Helen Hayes. I wonder what's the problem with it? I've seen a copy of it listed on ebay. There are also a number of her Warner Bros. films that have never been on TCM, including some silents.

One thing unusual about her is that she was just about the only TOP star (named Queen of Hollywood & in the top 10 list) that hardly ever had the LEADING role in any of her films. Not always, but most of the time, she usually supported the leading man.

Although extremely popular, she stopped working during most of World War II, only making one film. She had some big hits in the mid-to-late 1940s & early 50s: BEST YEARS; BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER; MR. BLANDINGS; CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. But like other wonderful actresses of her era (Irene Dunne, Jean Arthur, Claudette Colbert) film roles dried up by the early-to-mid 1950s. She also re-married (to a diplomat), moved to (I think) Washington, D.C. and devoted herself to other matters. After her divorce in 1960 she worked mostly on stage.

I remember seeing her on the episode of LOVE, SIDNEY (1982). It was her final acting credit. The entire episode revolved around her character (a famous actress) but she only appeared in the last segment of the show. For such a short scene it was funny and very touching. She was wonderful! I would LOVE to see it again. Amazingly, Myrna Loy was NEVER nominated for an Oscar.