Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wmcki76058

Youngest & oldest classic movie fans

Hi. This is my first time here on the TCM forum and I'd like to ask a question. I'm 30 years old and I've been a classic movie fan since I was in my early teens. I'd like to know who the youngest and oldest movie fans there are here? Thanks!

Wendy

I am 38.

Interestingly enough, I was a much bigger fan of classic movies in my teens and early-mid twenties. Started with Max Linder and Charlie Chaplin when I was 10-12.

It's not that I like classic movies any less now, it's just that I don't have the kind of energy that I had back then, I guess.

Wow! There are all age groups here. It's nice to meet you all. I first discovered classic movies with of course Gone With the Wind. Living in GA that's a must see. I fell madly in love with Clark Gable at the tender age of 14 and from there my fascination with the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s has grown. It's nice to know that there are lots of people out there who love these movies just like me. No matter what age you are.

I think I am one of the youngest people here.. I am only 15 but I have LOVED old movies ever sinse I was 13 and that is when i started watching turnerclassicmovies and I LOVE it...the first old movie I ever watched was High Society with Bing crosby and Grace Kelly and Frank sinatra..

kelsey i also use the user name (kelseyMlawrence) taht is me too hehe

Hate to brag here but my daughter is newly nine years old and loves Jimmy Cagney, Edward G Robinson, and Humphrey Bogart, especially what you'd call the Poverty Row flicks. She's also a big fan of the East Side Kids/Bowery Boys. She's a bit young yet to appreciate the subtle genius of Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, but I'm working on it.

I was watching Secret Agent the other day with Bette Davis, George Brent and Ricardo Cortez. At one point she said 'I bet that guys (Brent) is really a cop' and when it was revealed that he was she said 'Told ya so!'

Start 'em early!

silentfan,

Your daughter and I share one thing in common.We both like so called poverty row movies.,My studio choices are seldom,if ever seen on tv. PRC,MONOGRAM,FIRST NATIONAL,etc put out a lot of movies that will never see a tv screen.To bad,because some were minor gems!

I am 21 ;) I have been a fan of old movies since I was 8. My dad got me started on it ;) First movie I have ever seen was Gone With the Wind, and I was hooked since then. Hope to get to know you guys soon!! :D.

-Ashley

Hi Ashley.

My love of classic movies started with Gone With the Wind as well. I saw it for the first time at 14 at the Fox Theater here in downtown Atlanta. I try to go every year they show it.

Wendy

I suppose i should be proud of this but...i think i have you all beat...when i was 6 my mom and i rented Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte and then Dr. Zhivago soon followed, after that came Vertigo, then To kill a Mockingbird, finally the straw that broke the camels back was when my mom, dad, and me and my two brothers were shoved into the movie theatre showing of gone with the wind. Most parents encourage their children to read books, now my mom complains constantly about how addicted i am to TCM. My brother is now the lead in every play in our high school and everyone thinks i should be a film historian...what other 15 year old has to deal with having and "odd taste in movies"...could i be culturally confused, or healthfully eclectic? Oh yeah, my dad, brothers and i can quote almost any saturday night live skit. Isn't that sad.....is this normal i hope....

It's very normal allergic2peanuts. Almost ironically so. You're story sounds very familiar because I was very much like you when I was your age not so long ago. I'm still a huge fan of classic movies at 30.

Wendy

Hey allergic2penuts i just wanted to say I am 15 too and I loveeeee classic movies and i love to read and i love theatre and i didnt get started on old movies as early as you did but i watch old movies every day and every one knows me for watching old movies.. and I definately feel like i was born in the wrong time like someone else said but It is very cool that there are other people who still like old movies cause they are the best.

PS gone with the wind is the BEST

Welcome to TCM Wendy!!

I am 18, but have been a fan of classic movies and TCM since I was 16. The first classic movie I ever watched was Jane Eyre (1944 Joan Fontaine, Orson Welles Version), and it is still one of my favorites!

Val:)