Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Reactions to May 2010 schedule?

*THE VANISHING AMERICAN* is an excellent film, I had intended to mention this the other day, but forgot about it. Much better than either of the early Silents that were selected for the festival.

*NANOOK OF THE NORTH* is very famous, but I don't really care for it much at all. *RAMONA (1910),* ran last year. And the Maria Newman music is awful. Now if TCM could get a hold of *RAMONA (1928)* with Dolores Del Rio, that would really be something. apparently, the film is not lost as many people believe. A prints survives in a Czech archive. Are still did back in 2000. I forgot about the 1920 version of *THE LAST OF THE MOHICAN'S.* That is quite a good Silent. I'm glad the guest host thought of it. Nice choice.

Last year I tried to get them to switch *OLD SAN FRANCISCO* for *TIDE OF EMPIRE,* but it didn't happen. Probably to late to get *THE VANISHING AMERICAN.* I'm not sure if TCM has ever run this film?

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> The highlight of the evening is a "screening of a silent film, not shown since 1925...", which means it is likely "Too Many Kisses" since others of 1925 are believed to be lost: A Man Must Live, The Shock Punch, Men And Women, and The Lucky Devil. I'd like it to be The Vanishing American.

>

Their statement that TOO MANY KISSES has not been shown since 1925 is not true. It was shown a few years ago at the annual Capitolfest in Rome, New York.

That is, of course, if that's the unnamed title they're referring to.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > THE BOWERY BOYS continues

> > THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1935)

> > NAVY BLUES (1929)

> > THE SON-DAUGHTER (1932)

> > DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939)

> > WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? (1932)

> > VALLEY OF THE SUN (1942) Tom Tyler as Geronimo

> > DANGEROUS BLONDES (1943) Dwight Frye completists

> > NINE GIRLS (1944) canceled twice in the past

> > WHAT PRICE GLORY? (1926) saw it on PBS circa 1974

> >

> > Unfortunately, Mary Astor Day doesn't feature the ultra-rare RETURN OF THE TERROR (1934)

> True, but TCM is showing RUNAWAY BRIDE (1930) and SIN SHIP (1931) two rarely shown Astor films. TCM has not shwon either of these in at least 10 years.

I have copies of both Runaway Bride and Sin Ship, so they must have run them one morning when you weren't checking...in the last 5 years. ;)

Any movies associated with Mary Astor day are fine by me....hint hint TCM...Summer Under the Stars is right around the corner.... ;)

*The Vanishing American* is tough to get. I don't remember all the particulars but I do remember reading about a year ago that getting rights to it is difficult.

Here's my picks for May:

*Anna Christie*, the German version

Salute to Mary Astor

*Oil for the Lamps of China*

*Race and Hollywood* series spotlighting Native Americans

*The Sound Barrier*

*Break of Hearts*

*Night Song*

*The Trail of '98*

*Navy Blues*

*Hallelujah, I'm a Bum*

*Last of the Mohicans* both the Silent version and the 1990s version

*Thunderheart*

*Hootenanny Hoot!*

*The Face Behind the Mask*

*Ramona*

*They Were Expendable*

*Incident at Ogalala*

*Let There Be Light*

*The Son-Daughter*

*The Better 'Ole*

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Summer Under the Stars? That would be awesome, but then again, so would be making Mary Astor the Star of the Month one of these days.

Yes, that would be awesome!

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *The Vanishing American* is tough to get. I don't remember all the particulars but I do remember reading about a year ago that getting rights to it is difficult.

>

Could that be because it is taken from a Zane Grey story?

Zane Grey died in 1939. That should mean all of his work is in the public domain, as copyright is now life plus 70 years, and would have been shorter when Grey was alive.

As I understand it, the copyright for movies and other stuff where the copyright isn't held by an individual is 95 years.

I think there was a SCOTUS decision that somehow affected movies in certain cases where there were claims that could be made by the authors of the original story, so it might still be a factor in this case.

Everyone,

According to Film Preservation Associates/Lobster Films *THE VANISHING AMERICAN* will be on TCM very soon! Unfortunately, it just isn't scheduled for the Native American Festival at this time. Which makes No sense. But maybe we can change that? Let's put her to the vote. Here is the latest word on this story direct from David Shepard himself.

*"TCM has licensed THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, THE VANISHING AMERICAN and THE SILENT ENEMY from us. THE SILENT ENEMY will be the same lovely version as on the long-out-of-print Milestone DVD, while the other two will be all new. MOHICANS is produced in cooperation with the Cinematheque Francaise. It has all the original English titles, original tints and tones, looks exquisite, and is being scored by Mont Alto. I have never seen lovelier silent era cinematography. THE VANISHING AMERICAN is a new transfer from much nicer material than I used years ago for the Image DVD, and the new score by Eric Beheim is perhaps the best one he has ever done. I hope these will also receive a DVD release but that is still uncertain."*

*DS*

The trouble is, what would they sub? THE SQUAW MAN? NANOOK OF THE NORTH? RAMONA (1910), is just a one-reeler? We want LAST OF THE MOHICANS right? Since it's a brand new restoration. So a schedule change in this case is rather impractical. Although, isn't Nanook about Eskimos? So how are those Native American's? Alaska wouldn't be a state for nearly another 30 years.

Remember that the titles are selected by the guest host of the Race Festival each year. Not by TCM.

Last year it was easy, they could of subbed *OLD SAN FRANCISCO* for *TIDE OF THE EMPIRE* without any trouble Both movies are about the same running time. Actually, TIDE which is missing a reel, is a little shorter. I still think it would have been a much better choice for the Spanish festival. And TCM still hasn't run *TIDE* yet at all. Though it was released by Warner Archive a couple months ago.

*Although, isn't Nanook about Eskimos? So how are those Native American's?*

*Nanook* is an Inuit, which is a group of indigenous people of the Arctic North, which makes them Native Americans (the continent of North America, not just the United States).

Lynn,

I'm just glad that they are running *The LAST OF THE MOHICANS* (1920). It's been on TCM before, but not in over 10 years, and this is a fresh transfer with a brand new score.

*NANOOK* is a documentary. So it is definitely not about stereo-typing. It shows the way that the Eskimo tribes really lived at the time, and for the most part probably still do even today.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Well, it looks like they will definitely NOT be having a tribute to Kathryn Grayson, so maybe there has been an official change in policy.

I hope so...never a fan of the policy.

*Well, it looks like they will definitely NOT be having a tribute to Kathryn Grayson, so maybe there has been an official change in policy.*

Or maybe they will do a tribute to her later. When Anita Page passed away a few years back over Labor Day weekend, TCM did a tribute to her about four months later.

Not everyone who passes away gets a tribute right away. Sometimes, due to factors beyond the Programming Staff's control, a tribute gets delayed.

I would think if there was a policy change about tributes, TCM would have released an announcement.

Given how good posters are at finding those announcements and posting them here, I suspect that TCM still plans on doing tributes when they can for those classic era stars and directors who pass away.

I'm pretty sure that they will have a Kathryn Grayson tribute sometime. I'm pleased that it apparently is not bumping next weeks premier of *THE MAGICIAN* on Silent Sunday Nights, which I was afraid probably would happen. This 1926 Rex Ingram feature Starring his wife Alice Terry will have a brand new score by Robert Israel and his Orchestra. It was just recorded last year in Europe.

Well known historian William K. Everson back in the 50's saw this movie and Tod Browning/Lon Chaney's legendary *LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT.* This was before the latter was deemed lost in the 1965 MGM Vault explosion. He much preferred *THE MAGICIAN* among the two films. Apparently, it had been scheduled to be scored since 2003. TCM finally got to the project and now at last it is completed.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> *"TCM has licensed THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, THE VANISHING AMERICAN and THE SILENT ENEMY from us. THE SILENT ENEMY will be the same lovely version as on the long-out-of-print Milestone DVD, while the other two will be all new. MOHICANS is produced in cooperation with the Cinematheque Francaise. It has all the original English titles, original tints and tones, looks exquisite, and is being scored by Mont Alto. I have never seen lovelier silent era cinematography. THE VANISHING AMERICAN is a new transfer from much nicer material than I used years ago for the Image DVD, and the new score by Eric Beheim is perhaps the best one he has ever done. I hope these will also receive a DVD release but that is still uncertain."*

>

That's great news Jeffrey! I forgot about THE SILENT ENEMY. That also would have been a nice addition to this year's Race in Film series. Glad to hear that it will be shown some time in the near future.

> {quote:title=tcmprogrammr wrote:}{quote}

> right - she will be featured in Summer Under the Stars

For some reason I didn't notice this post until just now, thanks to Lynn for bringing it to my attention.

I suppose it makes sense that the Programming Dept. may not always be able to reschedule stuff for a tribute shortly after a star's passing.

I am more than happy to hear Miss Grayson will have her day of Summer Under the Stars.

Thank you very much, tcmprogrammr! :D