Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Reactions to May 2010 schedule?

While browsing the May Schedule tonight, I realized that it has been changed recently. It seems 'tcmprogrammr' made a few late-night additions to evenings devoted to "Race In Hollywood- Native Americans On Film".

On May 18th, after the four co-hosted films, TCM is showing *The Vanishing American* (1925).

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=5/1/2010

Sadly, it is replacing *Flap*, a Carol Reed film with Anthony Quinn that I was interested in catching for the first time. But I am not grousing about it.

And on May 27th, after the four co-hosted films, TCM is showing *The Silent Enemy* (1930) replacing a late-night showing of *Prairie Thunder*.

With these changes/additions, I think the month has been improved greatly.

Kyle In Hollywood

I already mentioned that this will be a brand new restoration of *THE VANISHING AMERICAN (1925),* also the 1920 *THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS* as well. New transfers, and musical scores. Neither version has been seen before, and are not on DVD. Since they are both premier's it would have been nice it TCM had run them much earlier in the evening.

The news is not so good on Memorial Day for *WHAT PRICE GLORY?* It is being replaced because Fox does not have the film ready in a broadcast format. No word on what will air instead. But it could be a premier for *SEVENTH HEAVEN.* Other possibilities might be *FOUR SONS, MARE NOSTRUM, TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS,* or hoping against hope for the TCM debut of the Photoplay Productions restoration of *WINGS* with Carl Davis score. Even better yet would be *LILAC TIME,* but that is probably more unlikely than *WHAT PRICE GLORY* had been.

OK, I just checked and it indeed will be *FOUR SONS (1928),* which is a true Masterpiece by John Ford. Although it suffers from not having the original Erno Rapee-Lew Pollack Movie-Tone track. Chris Caliendo's score isn't bad at all, but lack's the awesome power and beauty of the vintage score. I was so upset that the "Little Mother" theme was not retained. Crucial to the movie.And Caliendo kills the devastating impact of the dying soldier scene, by completely misunderstanding the type of music that magnificent sequence required. Nevertheless, it's great to see this picture on TCM for the first time ever.

Who is May SOTM? (I dont feel like reading this whole thread, if it's been mentioned.....)

Thank you! I'd heard she was but not what month........