Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WARNER ARCHIVE DVDs

I've been noticing that the last couple of batches of "New Release" Warner Archive DVDs have had a LOT more titles from the 1970s - 1990s and far less from the 1920s-1950s.

If I'm not mistaken, the original intent of this "Archive" series was to make available rarer older...and I mean OLDER....titles (most of them B&W) that would never see the light of day on a retail store's DVD shelf....not things like Richard Gere and Mitch Gaylord movies!

It looks like the old "American Movie Classics" thing is happening again....only this time with DVDs.

Sigh, just like when TCM shows a more recent film, there are cries of doom. There have been a lot of older films issued by Warner Archives recently. Since January 29th, we have had:

She's Working Her Way Through College (1952)

The Amazing Captain Nemo (1978)

The Daughter of Rosie O'Grady (1950)

Love in the Rough (1930)

She's Back on Broadway (1953)

So This Is College (1929)

Sweet Kitty Bellairs (1930)

The Jazz Singer (1953)

Valley of Decision

The Bride Goes Wild (1948)

Weary River (1929)

Son of the Gods (1930)

Central Airport (1933)

.Breakthrough (1950) - David Brian, John Agar, Frank Lovejoy, William Campbell, Paul Picerni

Force of Arms (1951) - William Holden, Nancy Olson

God is My Co-Pilot (1945) - Dennis Morgan, Dane Clark, Raymond Massey, Alan Hale, Andrea King

The Last Flight (1931) - Richard Barthelmess, David Manners, Johnny Mack Brown

Operation Secret (1952) - Cornel Wilde, Steve Cochran, Phyllis Thaxter, Karl Malden, Paul Picerni

The Tanks Are Coming (1951) - Steve Cochran, Philip Carey, Mari Aldon, Paul Picerni

Fighter Squadron (1948) - Edmond O'Brien, Robert Stack

First to Fight (1967) - Chad Everett, Dean Jagger, Bobby Troup, Claude Akins, Gene Hackman & James Best

Only today's had several newer ones. But I know for a fact - having recently been visiting at WB and talking with George Feltenstein - that more oldies are on the way. Be patient.

But there is a public for more recent TV and films and they have to give them stuff they want, too.

And, actually, if you go to interviews of Feltenstein when the Archive series was announced, you will find things like "Plans call for 20 or more classic films and TV shows to be added each month, Feltenstein says." and "Right now, our focus is to get some of these movies that have been sitting in the vaults for years out there to the public, so that by Christmas we'll have at least 350 films available," Feltenstein says. Nowhere does it say the plans were to focus on a particular era.

By the way, do you know what the greatest-selling Warner Archive title is? Guess.

(At the beginning of each year, there is some group who announces certain phrases have long outlived their use and will no longer be used. I think "going the way of AMC" and variations of it should now be eliminated, LOL.)

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> By the way, do you know what the greatest-selling Warner Archive title is? Guess.

Wonderful World of Tupperware?

No, maybe Doc Savage from all the interest I've seen for it. But, yeah, they never said it was just to release old films, but any of their films that would not be getting a pressed release in the near future.

"Mona, you're a brick" is about all I remember of *Doc Savage*. Haven't seen it since it's original release some thirty-odd years ago.

I remember it being a fun send-up but not nearly as good as *Raiders* which followed about six years later.

Probably not a lot of Adam Sandler titles that would have low enough demand to qualify for the Warner Archive. Carrot Top and Pauly Shore are another matter, however.

Seriously, they've released a bunch of pre-codes and early talkies. They may be offering more early talkies now than TCM has shown in the last year.

Next up will be Pauly Shore and Adam Sandler for Star of the Month right before they come out with their commemorative stamps....To quote Sidney Skolsky..."Don't get me wrong- I love Hollywood"

> {quote:title=MGMMayer wrote:}{quote} But if Warner Archive starts offering an Adam Sandler Value-Pak, don't say I didn't warn you!

If they do that, then we will rise in masses and storm Warner Bros. with torches and pitchforks.

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=MGMMayer wrote:}{quote} But if Warner Archive starts offering an Adam Sandler Value-Pak, don't say I didn't warn you!

>

> If they do that, then we will rise in masses and storm Warner Bros. with torches and pitchforks.

And we'll burn their windmill too! :P