Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greatest movie characters of all time

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> She's only warm when she has calculated that being warm will pay her dividends...

Some people are like that.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > She's only warm when she has calculated that being warm will pay her dividends...

>

>

> Some people are like that.

I'll say, and they lack Linda Darnell's appeal underneath.

> Veidt is amazing in TMWL. Gwynplaine is such a tragic figure.

I'll have to bump it up in my netflix queue. It's been there a while I believe.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Darnell's Stella is warm? Worn, yes.

>

> She's worn, too. And I do like that about her. She's tired.

"Tired of playing the game...isn't it a crying shame...."

Stella's not as cold, cruel or trashy like Kitty March, I'll give her that. There's a vulnerability behind Darnell's portrayal. I could never see Kitty ever being tired. Lazy, yes, but never tired.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Veidt is amazing in TMWL. Gwynplaine is such a tragic figure.

>

> I'll have to bump it up in my netflix queue. It's been there a while I believe.

It's definitely worth seeing.

Stella's not as cold, cruel or trashy like Kitty March, I'll give her that. There's a vulnerability behind Darnell's portrayal. I could never see Kitty ever being tired. Lazy, yes, but never tired.

You've got it, Bronxie. There's an honesty to Stella. How many "bad" girls of film noir are "honest"? They are usually dishonest. Stella's had enough. Linda Darnell is sensational as "Stella."

And you are right about "Lazy Legs," too. She's cruel... and hilarious!

Hi. :)

> > {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > > Veidt is amazing in TMWL. Gwynplaine is such a tragic figure.

> >

> > I'll have to bump it up in my netflix queue. It's been there a while I believe.

>

> It's definitely worth seeing.

I'm in the mood for tragedy. I just watched a PBS show about Irish singers and was bawling my non-Irish eyes out over some of the sad, sad songs. Oh, dear!

Almost any character the great Akim Tamiroff played from "China Seas" to "Topkapi" and beyond. Just to name one "Uncle Joe Grande" in Orson Wells classic film noir "Touch of Evil"....

> > > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > > She's only warm when she has calculated that being warm will pay her dividends...

> >

> >

> > Some people are like that.

>

> I'll say, and they lack Linda Darnell's appeal underneath.

Or even the human element altogether.

> > > {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > > > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > > > Veidt is amazing in TMWL. Gwynplaine is such a tragic figure.

> > >

> > > I'll have to bump it up in my netflix queue. It's been there a while I believe.

> >

> > It's definitely worth seeing.

>

> I'm in the mood for tragedy. I just watched a PBS show about Irish singers and was bawling my non-Irish eyes out over some of the sad, sad songs. Oh, dear!

I was watching that too. Beautifully melancholic. As soon as I hear the strains of "The Fields of Athenry" and "Danny Boy", I break down.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Stella's not as cold, cruel or trashy like Kitty March, I'll give her that. There's a vulnerability behind Darnell's portrayal. I could never see Kitty ever being tired. Lazy, yes, but never tired.

>

> You've got it, Bronxie. There's an honesty to Stella. How many "bad" girls of film noir are "honest"? They are usually dishonest. Stella's had enough. Linda Darnell is sensational as "Stella."

Stella probably had to dodge all those leering men at her mother's boarding house, and found out early on what the score was.

I can't see Kitty with any stuffed animals on her bed.

>

> And you are right about "Lazy Legs," too. She's cruel... and hilarious!

Her lack of housekeeping skill is actually kind of creepy-icy to me -- she'll literally "drop" everything, just to be with Johnny. He's garbage, and she seems to love wallowing in it.

>

> Hi. :)

Don't you think Greer Garson as EB deserves to be on your list?

Stella probably had to dodge all those leering men at her mother's boarding house, and found out early on what the score was.

She seemed to enjoy keeping score. :)

I can't see Kitty with any stuffed animals on her bed.

She's the Scarlett O'Hara of film noir!

Her lack of housekeeping skill is actually kind of creepy-icy to me -- she'll literally "drop" everything, just to be with Johnny. He's garbage, and she seems to love wallowing in it.

That's the kind of dame I need to find! Do you think she has a green sweater?

Don't you think Greer Garson as EB deserves to be on your list?

At the very bottom!

>

> She's the Scarlett O'Hara of film noir!

>

Kitty would sell her mother out to buy nail varnish! Scarlett at least had family loyalty. That was her one, unequivocal virtue. That, and she kept the promise she made to Ashley. Kitty doesn't have this contradictory streak in her, she's one false note from start to finish.

So would you say at some point on your lists of 100, that the rankings become a matter of which ones hyou dislike the least? I mean, does every character, say, after number 50, become a matter of almost indifference? I'm just wondering if you actually do like something about _all_ 100.

I know I could list 100 and they would all be genuine favorites. I won't do that many this time, I think, because it would take me forever to rank them according to preference.

Good morning, oops, I mean Good afternoon Miss April!

So would you say at some point on your lists of 100, that the rankings become a matter of which ones you dislike the least? I mean, does every character, say, after number 50, become a matter of almost indifference? I'm just wondering if you actually do like something about all 100.

I know I could list 100 and they would all be genuine favorites. I won't do that many this time, I think, because it would take me forever to rank them according to preference.

What Frankie does is almost impossible to accomplish. I give him a lot of credit, and because he and I have an affinity towards making lists, his achievement seems even more amazing.

What I do with lists is much easier to do since I am not placing the films in a numerical ranking. What he does with his list making is place everything in numeric order. Favorite to least favorite, Best to whatever classification negative would be.

I think you ask the right question about where in his list does the more least favorite role come into play. Or is it fact that all of his top 100 of both male and female ARE all favorites and that his rankings are indeed based on what he considers his favorite of all time. This is where I would have great difficulty deciding.

I can't do that. And I may never be able to do that. You are right however that it would take forever. I would rather work on three more 101 favorite movie lists than to rank a performances list like Frank has done.

Do I have like a favorite top ten of films. Yes, but like everyone else, the films that are toward the bottom of the list are and will change from time to time.

Making a listing of favorite roles would be even more challenging. And that is because there are many more roles I like than those films that I like. In other words, there could be a list out there with 500 favorite films, but there could be a list of well over 1,000 performances I like even more. And the thing about that is that there are multiple performances or roles if you like that are from the same film.

For instance, take the film "The Talk of the Town". There are four really good performances in that film that I really like. Cary Grant as Leopold Dilg / Joseph, Ronald Colman as Professor Michael Lightcap, Jean Arthur as Miss Nora Shelley, and finally, Edgar Buchanan as Sam Yates.

So there is a film with four really good roles or characters or performances that I really love and admire. It helps that this film is in my top ten.

I will be around most of the day in between doing laundry and household chores before the Oscars tonight. BTW, did you happen to see my two 101 favorite movie lists over on the Favorites forum I posted awhile back?

Would like to know what your impressions or thoughts of it were. And, unlike Franks' lists my list are in chronological order.

See ya.

fxreyman

Ciao, Miss Whosits -- Kitty would sell her mother out to buy nail varnish! Scarlett at least had family loyalty. That was her one, unequivocal virtue. That, and she kept the promise she made to Ashley. Kitty doesn't have this contradictory streak in her, she's one false note from start to finish.

It's film noir! The Scarlett O'Hara of film noir WOULD sell her mother out! She loves her "Ashley" and she uses the other men for money. Kitty is very childish, just like Scarlett.

So would you say at some point on your lists of 100, that the rankings become a matter of which ones hyou dislike the least?

Not at all! It's about who I like more.

I mean, does every character, say, after number 50, become a matter of almost indifference? I'm just wondering if you actually do like something about all 100.

Eventually, it's more about groupings. For example, #61 and #66 probably could be flip-flopped. But I wouldn't flip-flop #61 and #91, as easily. All I do is ask myself, "who do I like more?" I have many different reasons why I like each of the characters. For example, I really like Clo-Clo (Margo - #61) from The Leopard Man. She's a jealous, seflish spitfire who is eventually moved by a man. It's a lovely character and performance, and ultimately, heartbreaking. My #91 is Linda Seton (Katharine Hepburn) from Holiday. I like Linda's spirit and her taking to Johnny (Cary Grant), but Linda (and Kate) isn't as "warm" or "entertaining" to me as others, such as Clo-Clo.

I do put a lot of thought into my lists and I've since learned to keep them and to refresh them. Keep in mind, I continue to watch films I have never seen before. So I will think to myself, after each new viewing, "did any of these characters move me to be top 100?" I also update my favorite film lists, be it overall or for certain "genres" (film noir, westerns, silents) or for certain directors and performers. So a film viewing isn't just, "hey, wasn't that something" with me. There's more to it.

I wouldn't expect anyone to make such lists, really. They are very difficult to do. Most especially for those who have seen many films, like you. I'm new to all this, so it's so much easier for me to do.

>

> It's film noir! The Scarlett O'Hara of film noir WOULD sell her mother out! She loves her "Ashley" and she uses the other men for money. Kitty is very childish, just like Scarlett.

>

Well, does that mean you're saying that film noir Scarletts are more superficial and less complex?

Careful how you answer! :P

> Eventually, it's more about groupings. For example, #61 and #66 probably could be flip-flopped. But I wouldn't flip-flop #61 and #91, as easily. All I do is ask myself, "who do I like more?" I have many different reasons why I like each of the characters. For example, I really like Clo-Clo (Margo - #61) from The Leopard Man. She's a jealous, seflish spitfire who is eventually moved by a man. It's a lovely character and performance, and ultimately, heartbreaking. My #91 is Linda Seton (Katharine Hepburn) from Holiday. I like Linda's spirit and her taking to Johnny (Cary Grant), but Linda (and Kate) isn't as "warm" or "entertaining" to me as others, such as Clo-Clo.

>

Clo-Clo was a terrific character...what a movie. I like how you say she's ultimately heartbreaking. I even wish Lewton had dwelt more on her.

It seemed like, with teh exception of Miss Krausheimer, most of your comedy favorites rank low.

> I do put a lot of thought into my lists and I've since learned to keep them and to refresh them. Keep in mind, I continue to watch films I have never seen before. So I will think to myself, after each new viewing, "did any of these characters move me to be top 100?" I also update my favorite film lists, be it overall or for certain "genres" (film noir, westerns, silents) or for certain directors and performers. So a film viewing isn't just, "hey, wasn't that something" with me. There's more to it.

>

And I appreciate that. I know it's tough to put together a list like that and it really provides a great snapshot of what a person's taste are and more. I think that lists of characters also reveal what qualities appeal to people when they watch movies. Like you said, straightforward "heroic" types rarely move you. Does that mean you don't enjoy them?

> I wouldn't expect anyone to make such lists, really. They are very difficult to do. Most especially for those who have seen many films, like you. I'm new to all this, so it's so much easier for me to do.

That is my problem....I keep thinking of ones I missed. I have a bad memory and I don't keep records, except my list of what DVDs and DVD-Rs I own (which is a good indicator because I don't have anything in my collection that I dislike, unless it came with a box set). Maybe I should just take those lists and figure out how to rank them by preference.

Well, does that mean you're saying that film noir Scarletts are more superficial and less complex? Careful how you answer!

Not more superficial, but I'd say less complex, yes. And I'm not sure there is another character in film noir who reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara as Kitty March does. Remember, Scarlett is never really with Ashley. How would she behave if she were?

Clo-Clo was a terrific character...what a movie. I like how you say she's ultimately heartbreaking. I even wish Lewton had dwelt more on her.

What I love about her is that she's a mother and an active daughter. At the start of the film, we only see her as a cruel vamp. She's not to be liked. Then you see her soft side and that she's a family woman and I completely shift to her side.

It seemed like, with teh exception of Miss Krausheimer, most of your comedy favorites rank low.

Classic comedies just don't resonate with me as much as dramas. The characters seem to lack any kind of depth.

And I appreciate that. I know it's tough to put together a list like that and it really provides a great snapshot of what a person's taste are and more. I think that lists of characters also reveal what qualities appeal to people when they watch movies.

Precisely. My list definitely speaks to what I find interesting and entertaining and some of it speaks to who I am as a person.

Like you said, straightforward "heroic" types rarely move you. Does that mean you don't enjoy them?

I enjoy some of them, I just find them to be less interesting and rather predictable.

That is my problem....I keep thinking of ones I missed. I have a bad memory and I don't keep records, except my list of what DVDs and DVD-Rs I own (which is a good indicator because I don't have anything in my collection that I dislike, unless it came with a box set). Maybe I should just take those lists and figure out how to rank them by preference.

What I did was go year by year at IMDb to figure out my favorite films for each decade. I ranked them as I went. I also checked over my DVD collection to see if I missed any films that didn't show up on the IMDb list. Once I had my favorite films for each decade ranked, I could then use that as a "checklist" for figuring out my favorite characters. I now keep these lists on my hard drive. And whenever I watch something new, I decide if where it belongs on my lists.

>

> Not more superficial, but I'd say less complex, yes. And I'm not sure there is another character in film noir who reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara as Kitty March does. Remember, Scarlett is never really with Ashley. How would she behave if she were?

>

She'd manage and boss him and soon the scales would fall from her eyes.

>

> What I love about her is that she's a mother and an active daughter. At the start of the film, we only see her as a cruel vamp. She's not to be liked. Then you see her soft side and that she's a family woman and I completely shift to her side.

>

She reminds me of a friend of mine. Why do you think they chose to show her as a vamp at first?

> Classic comedies just don't resonate with me as much as dramas. The characters seem to lack any kind of depth.

>

Sometimes they mean MORE to me, because of the kind service they provide in making me forget my troubles.

>

> What I did was go year by year at IMDb to figure out my favorite films for each decade. I ranked them as I went. I also checked over my DVD collection to see if I missed any films that didn't show up on the IMDb list. Once I had my favorite films for each decade ranked, I could then use that as a "checklist" for figuring out my favorite characters. I now keep these lists on my hard drive. And whenever I watch something new, I decide if where it belongs on my lists.

That is the kind of leg work I find frustratingly tedious. I have looked at those IMDb lists and they make me tired, they're so long!

She'd manage and boss him and soon the scales would fall from her eyes.

Thats' interesting. I was thinking she'd constantly play sweet and innocent with him and treat him as more of a father figure.

She reminds me of a friend of mine. Why do you think they chose to show her as a vamp at first?

She's jealous and she releases this jealousy via a leopard. It's very similar to Cat People, in that regard.

Sometimes they mean MORE to me, because of the kind service they provide in making me forget my troubles.

I know. Comedies are good escapes. I just don't find the characters to be as interesting as those found in dramas. HOWEVER, many of my favorite characters on my list I happen to like because they are FUNNY. Kitty March is definitely this.

That is the kind of leg work I find frustratingly tedious. I have looked at those IMDb lists and they make me tired, they're so long!

You are right, most everyone would find such an undertaking to be tedious. I'm just screwy. The lists for each year are 100 films long. And since you've seen most of them, it would be a lot of work for you. I just haven't seen that many films, so my lists were easy to accumulate.

> Thats' interesting. I was thinking she'd constantly play sweet and innocent with him and treat him as more of a father figure.

>

Remember how she treats him at the lumber office? He has no say in anything, Soon she;d be basically mothering him. Keep in mind this is posy-war Ashley I'm talking about. When he came home,,,to find himself homeless, he was a changed man. Dispirited. Scarlett would soon tire of that.

> She's jealous and she releases this jealousy via a leopard. It's very similar to Cat People, in that regard.

>

I don;t understand...are you saying she is the leopard? I think I need to see it again, I must have forgotten something.

> I know. Comedies are good escapes. I just don't find the characters to be as interesting as those found in dramas. HOWEVER, many of my favorite characters on my list I happen to like because they are FUNNY. Kitty March is definitely this.

>

That is also why Robert Mitchum characters rank high with me. I find his characters the funniest in movies, but NOT in his comedies.

> You are right, most everyone would find such an undertaking to be tedious. I'm just screwy. The lists for each year are 100 films long. And since you've seen most of them, it would be a lot of work for you. I just haven't seen that many films, so my lists were easy to accumulate.

You said it; it's overwhelming for me.

Remember how she treats him at the lumber office? He has no say in anything, Soon she;d be basically mothering him. Keep in mind this is posy-war Ashley I'm talking about. When he came home,,,to find himself homeless, he was a changed man. Dispirited. Scarlett would soon tire of that.

Good point. I agree with you. The bloom is off the rose.

I don;t understand...are you saying she is the leopard? I think I need to see it again, I must have forgotten something.

Her jealousy takes the shape of the leopard... at the outset. It's as if Clo-Clo's has conjured up an evil spirit.

That is also why Robert Mitchum characters rank high with me. I find his characters the funniest in movies, but NOT in his comedies.

That's how it is with me with most performers and characters, with the expcetion of Cary Grant. I actually find "Max Cady" and "Harry Powell" to be funny. Not all the time, of course.

I know you find Bogie's characters to be funny.