Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greatest movie characters of all time

Hi Rey!

> What Frankie does is almost impossible to accomplish. I give him a lot of credit, and because he and I have an affinity towards making lists, his achievement seems even more amazing.

>

I'll say, I could begin to take on such detailed and lengthy lists as you and Mr Mudd.

> What I do with lists is much easier to do since I am not placing the films in a numerical ranking. What he does with his list making is place everything in numeric order. Favorite to least favorite, Best to whatever classification negative would be.

>

That's the paert I would fall down on. I can do that maybe up to 50. I did a list of favorite comedies once, I think it was much, much easier because I don't have any complex criteria for why or how much I like them.

>

> I can't do that. And I may never be able to do that. You are right however that it would take forever. I would rather work on three more 101 favorite movie lists than to rank a performances list like Frank has done.

>

I understand that. I'd still say I like seeing the rankings because of how much more they reveal about the list maker.

> Do I have like a favorite top ten of films. Yes, but like everyone else, the films that are toward the bottom of the list are and will change from time to time.

>

> Making a listing of favorite roles would be even more challenging. And that is because there are many more roles I like than those films that I like. In other words, there could be a list out there with 500 favorite films, but there could be a list of well over 1,000 performances I like even more. And the thing about that is that there are multiple performances or roles if you like that are from the same film.

>

Can you list your ten favorite characters?

> For instance, take the film "The Talk of the Town". There are four really good performances in that film that I really like. Cary Grant as Leopold Dilg / Joseph, Ronald Colman as Professor Michael Lightcap, Jean Arthur as Miss Nora Shelley, and finally, Edgar Buchanan as Sam Yates.

>

You like them all equally? I can't say I like Jean that much in this film. I like Cary, though.

> I will be around most of the day in between doing laundry and household chores before the Oscars tonight. BTW, did you happen to see my two 101 favorite movie lists over on the Favorites forum I posted awhile back?

>

I sure did, and they were a terrific read. Lots of my own favorites, except perhaps the post-60s era. I fall off significantly, there. :D

I admire you guys I really do, and I still want to come up with my own 101 favorite films, it's just going to take me more time.

> Her jealousy takes the shape of the leopard... at the outset. It's as if Clo-Clo's has conjured up an evil spirit.

>

I really need to see it again, I didn't remember that.

> That's how it is with me with most performers and characters, with the expcetion of Cary Grant. I actually find "Max Cady" and "Harry Powell" to be funny. Not all the time, of course.

>

Most performers and characters? Really? You find them that funny? Or you mean you prefer the humor found in dramas. Like how Hitch's films are filled with funny bits.

I can't quite find Cady and Powell funny, though Cady has some good lines. I found myself laughing this time to a few things Paul Newman says in Hud, even though he's so loathsome.

> I know you find Bogie's characters to be funny.

Oh, hilarious. I love him as Sam Spade, he's a riot in The Maltese Falcon and I find even Dixon Steele to be very funny at times in In a Lonely Place. Bogie likes to needle people and it makes me laugh. "You won't have to sing well in that outfit" breaks me up every time.

In no particular order -

1-Ethan Edwards - The Searchers. - Wayne

2-James McKay - The Big Country - Gregory Peck

3-Kathleen Yorke - Rio Grande. Maureen O'Hara

4-Conagher - Conagher - Sam Elliott.

5-Morgan Hickman - The Tin Star - Henry Fonda

6-Stella - Silverado - Linda Hunt

7-Quirt Evans - Angel and The Badman - Wayne

8-Frank Usher - The Tall T - Richard Boone

9-Jason McCullough - Support Your Local Sheriff. James Garner

10-Charlie Anderson - Shenandoah - Jimmy Stewart.

Honorable Mention - Millard Mitchell - "The Gunfighter" and Hope Emerson - Westward The Women.

It's a start anyway.

Most performers and characters? Really? You find them that funny? Or you mean you prefer the humor found in dramas. Like how Hitch's films are filled with funny bits.

I'm saying that it's rare that I like a straightforward comedic character and performers who do this with great regularity, such as Cary Grant. Thelma Ritter is another I always find funny.

For example, My Man Godfrey is one of your favorite comedies. Who makes you laugh the most in the film? I mean, in order.

I can't quite find Cady and Powell funny, though Cady has some good lines. I found myself laughing this time to a few things Paul Newman says in Hud, even though he's so loathsome.

I'm somebody who likes to tease and taunt, so I find the evil teases and taunts of Cady and Powell to be very funny.

Oh, hilarious. I love him as Sam Spade, he's a riot in The Maltese Falcon and I find even Dixon Steele to be very funny at times in In a Lonely Place. Bogie likes to needle people and it makes me laugh. "You won't have to sing well in that outfit" breaks me up every time.

Bogie's "needles" are some of best. Mitchum is another whose needles always kill me.

I really like your list, Cowboy Chris. I love seeing Kathleen Yorke making the top ten. She's a cutie.

Quirt makes the top ten, too. Very nice!

I didn't know you liked Fonda in The Tin Star that much. So I've learned something!

Is Richard Boone the lone villain?

> I'm saying that it's rare that I like a straightforward comedic character and performers who do this with great regularity, such as Cary Grant. Thelma Ritter is another I always find funny.

>

I always find Carole Lombard and Bob Hope funny.

> For example, My Man Godfrey is one of your favorite comedies. Who makes you laugh the most in the film? I mean, in order.

>

Carole, Alice Brady, William Powell, Mischa Auer, Jean Dixon, Eugene Pallette.

>

> I'm somebody who likes to tease and taunt, so I find the evil teases and taunts of Cady and Powell to be very funny.

>

I don't think they tease; they taunt, though.

> Bogie's "needles" are some of best. Mitchum is another whose needles always kill me.

I just find Mitchum's line readings funny. He seems like he's just making observations or reacting to the other character. He makes them sound like he really made them up right at that instant. Wonderful.

Yet, he's not really funny in the comedy, The Grass is Greener. Cary is, so is Jean Simmons..she's hilarious.

I always find Carole Lombard and Bob Hope funny.

I find Carole to be hit or miss in My Man Godfrey. Bob Hope is usually funny for me, too. That's a good one.

Carole, Alice Brady, William Powell, Mischa Auer, Jean Dixon, Eugene Pallette.

So you find Carole to be the funniest. Very cool! Alice is who makes me laugh the most. Powell rarely makes me laugh, but I like his character because of who he is.

I don't think they tease; they taunt, though.

You make a good point. It's probably all taunt. I laugh at quite a few of their taunts.

I just find Mitchum's line readings funny. He seems like he's just making observations or reacting to the other character. He makes them sound like he really made them up right at that instant. Wonderful.

That's a great observation. It really rings true, to me. He's so "matter of fact."

One of my favorite characters really is Mammy from "Gone With The Wind." With the con-

straints of her station in life (and the limitation on Hattie McDaniels as an actress) she was a helluva lynchpin in that epic. Mo'Nique's honoring Hattie by citing her in her Academy Award speech was soooo gracious.

Would someone from the Academy please...puhleeeze look into hiring the directors and producers and editors of Turner Classic Movies to produce this show. In all my years of watching the Awards show (since Julie Christie) this is the first year (for me) that I dis-

liked the show and it fell flat. The Academy MUST hire producers who LOVE movies.

To give John Hughes a special section...but to have Lauren Bacall / Roger Corman sit in the audience to be recognized for their Oscar was shameful, appalling. They deserved to be on

the stage...highlighted...honored.

PLEASE ACADEMY... IF YOU READ THIS MESSAGE BOARD, PLEASE HIRE THE STAFF OF TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO PRODUCE YOUR NEXT COUPLE OF OSCAR TELECASTS.

I saw, first-hand, how much this staff loves movies. And Academy...you need folks like that.

I have more favorite movie characters...but I don't wanna hog the thread.

I find your two lists utterly fascinating. It's a window into what passes for your mind, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.

Your women fall into several categories: Deadly, Cruel, Mysterious, Supportive, Needy.

Your men are: Cynical, Romantic, Perverse, Violent, Humanistic, and many times just plain Dumb.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 8, 2010 1:44 AM

I find your two lists utterly fascinating. It's a window into what passes for your mind, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.

:D

Your women fall into several categories: Deadly, Cruel, Supportive, , Mysterious, and Needy.

I personally like supportive and needy women (can a woman be both?) and I find deadly, cruel, mysterious women to be entertaining to watch.

Your men are: Cynical, Romantic, Perverse, Violent, Humanistic, and many times just plain Dumb.

And that's the PERFECT description of me, minus the violence.

Who are your favorites, Bronxilla?

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I find your two lists utterly fascinating. It's a window into what passes for your mind, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.

>

> :D

>

> Your women fall into several categories: Deadly, Cruel, Supportive, , Mysterious, and Needy.

>

> I personally like supportive and needy women (can a woman be both?) and I find deadly, cruel, mysterious women to be entertaining to watch.

If you're defining "needy" in a woman as just healthy "vive le difference", and not some emotionally insecure piece of work going from one man to another in search of self-worth, then yes, a woman who is independent and career-minded can still enjoy being "vulnerable" and "soft" and therefore "needy". Is this what you mean?

>

> Your men a re: Cynical, Romantic, Perverse, Violent, Humanistic, and many times just plain Dumb.

>

> And that's the PERFECT description of me, minus the violence.

Charlie Brown and Linus.

>

> Who are your favorites, Bronxilla?

I'll make you wait until next Friday/Saturday.

If you're defining "needy" in a woman as just healthy "vive le difference", and not some emotionally insecure piece of work going from one man to another in search of self-worth, then yes, a woman who is independent and career-minded can still enjoy being "vulnerable" and "soft" and therefore "needy". Is this what you mean?

Independent and career-minded? Blah! No, I like the gals who need a guy because they are emotionally needy.

Charlie Brown and Linus.

That's a good mix for me. I guess Chuck is the cynic and Linus is the perverse one. :D

I'll make you wait until next Friday/Saturday.

Sigh. If you must. I'm running out of steam, anyways.

i]Zita.JPG

"My love has lasted longer than the temples of our gods. No man has ever suffered for any woman as I have for you".

Imhotep is your true alter-ego, Frank. I believe this statement reflects the ultimate romantic, defying time and space, overturning the cynic in you.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 8, 2010 3:10 AM

Imhotep is your true alter-ego, Frank. I believe this statement reflects the ultimate romantic, defying time and space. It ultimately overturns the cynic in you.

Are you being silly, silly? You happen to be right. Lucky guess. :P

> If you're defining "needy" in a woman as just healthy "vive le difference", and not some emotionally insecure piece of work going from one man to another in search of self-worth, then yes, a woman who is independent and career-minded can still enjoy being "vulnerable" and "soft" and therefore "needy". Is this what you mean?

>

> Independent and career-minded? Blah! No, I like the gals who need a guy because they are emotionally needy.

I can't believe this. You love strong (but non-witchy) females. They have to make you laugh and be a pal as well as a romantic partner.

>

> Charlie Brown and Linus.

>

> That's a good mix for me. I guess Chuck is the cynic and Linus is the perverse one. :D

I thought it was the other way around but I'm not up on my Peanuts characters.

>

> I'll make you wait until next Friday/Saturday.

>

> Sigh. If you must. I'm running out of steam, anyways.

But you never had any to begin with, did you?

> Stella probably had to dodge all those leering men at her mother's boarding house, and found out early on what the score was.

>

> She seemed to enjoy keeping score. :)

But they were all losers. No wonder you like her.

>

> I can't see Kitty with any stuffed animals on her bed.

>

> She's the Scarlett O'Hara of film noir!

Applesauce.

>

> Her lack of housekeeping skill is actually kind of creepy-icy to me -- she'll literally "drop" everything, just to be with Johnny. He's garbage, and she seems to love wallowing in it.

>

> That's the kind of dame I need to find! Do you think she has a green sweater?

No, a green silk scarf with a large golden harp and three-leaf clovers.

>

> Don't you think Greer Garson as EB deserves to be on your list?

>

> At the very bottom!

The only Bennett you seem to like is Marco.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 8, 2010 4:28 AM

>

> To give John Hughes a special section...but to have Lauren Bacall / Roger Corman sit in the audience to be recognized for their Oscar was shameful, appalling. They deserved to be on

> the stage...highlighted...honored.

>

You make me glad I didn't bother to watch even 1 second of the broadcast. I knew what was coming so I just didn't feel like tuning in.

I heard that Lauren looked really spectacular, too. It's disgraceful that she wasn't given an on-stage presentation but it is not unexpected, knowing what I do of today's Hollywood. Maybe that's why TCM is in Atlanta.