Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greatest movie characters of all time

OH my goodness! How did you come up with those "points"? Keep in mind I was always bad at math.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> 22 actors make up your 50 favorite male characters and 32 actresses make up your 50 favorite female characters. Mine was 30 and 33, respectively. So it seems you really prefer certain actors.

Believe it or not, I tried to think of other actors but then it would mean subtracting a character I really like just to mix things up. I wanted to be true to what I really like.

And it's the roles they inhabit I ranked. It just so happens that I like the "type" of characters these actors played. This is why, even though Coop is my favorite actor, there is no way his Professor Potts would ever make my list...nor would Sinatra's Dirty Dingus MacGee.

>

> 1. John Wayne (211 points)

> 2. Gary Cooper (194)

> 3. Robert Mitchum (100)

> 4. Henry Fonda (100)

> 5. Clark Gable (97)

> 6. Will Rogers (94)

> 7. Robert Montgomery (74)

> 8. Frank Sinatra (64)

> 9. Yul Brynner (64)

>

> Yul, Mitch, and Hank are definitely the surprises, for me. The rest are noted favorites of yours.

>

Fonda surprised me, too. And I even REMOVED a Fonda character...Joe in The Long Night. I really like him. I like his character in You Only Live Once, too, and I would love to have included Col. Thursday. In fact, the last one there was simply because I forgot. So Fonda might have tied with Coop had I not forgotten about the Colonel.

> 1. Maureen O'Hara (108)

> 2. Marilyn Monroe (94)

> 3. Vivien Leigh (87)

> 4. Ava Gardner (85)

> 5. Carole Lombard (85)

> 6. Audrey Hepburn (82)

> 7. Myrna Loy (82)

> 8. Elizabeth Taylor (71)

> 9. Rita Hayworth (53)

> 10. Gene Tierney (53)

>

> This is very consistent with your likes... with the exception of Maureen being at the top.

>

Maureen continues to rise in my estimation.

> Mine:

>

> 1. Cary Grant (190)

> 2. Robert Mitchum (133)

> 3. Humphrey Bogart (103)

> 4. Robert Ryan (80)

> 5. Richard Widmark (74)

>

That is totally you, alright, except where is Hank? And where is...

> Surprisingly, James Stewart didn't have as many high-ranking characters as I expected he would. He's the one who is missing.

>

That's the biggest surprise. And I was surprised at myself for not even including "Scottie" or "Jeff Webster".

> 1. Joan Bennett (122)

> 2. Grace Kelly (94)

> 3. Maureen O'Hara (82)

> 4. Ingrid Bergman (61)

> 5. Rita Hayworth (60)

> 6. Linda Darnell (57)

> 7. Kim Novak (55)

> 8. Ava Gardner (54)

> 9. Claudia Cardinale (53)

> 10. Myrna Loy (48)

>

> Joan at the top is a big surprise, but the bigger surprise is, where's Gloria Grahame, Gene Tierney, and Barbara Stanwyck?

Yes! I even ranked Glory higher than you did. I am surprised to see Myrna crack your top ten and I didn't expect Rita to surpass Ava and Linda!

Dahlink!

Ha! Like Bogie would waste much time crying over a dame.

Hey Bogie has a soft spot too...he just didn't like to admit it. :D

Dutch Boy!

I'm watching Ford, Wayne, Coop, and Greer, ain't I?

Well with your incessant complaining about them, who would have guessed?? Heehee! :P

Can I make a list too pretty please?

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on Mar 10, 2010 8:17 PM

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> Dahlink!

>

> Ha! Like Bogie would waste much time crying over a dame.

>

> Hey Bogie has a soft spot too...he just didn't like to admit it. :D

>

:D Okay, you're right, he was just a tough talker with his girls. ;)

> Can I make a list too pretty please?

>

I certainly wish you would!

OH my goodness! How did you come up with those "points"? Keep in mind I was always bad at math.

50 points for #1, 49 points for #2, and so on.

Believe it or not, I tried to think of other actors but then it would mean subtracting a character I really like just to mix things up. I wanted to be true to what I really like.

Your list is perfectly you, and that makes it wonderful. You shouldn't be looking to include different performers just to do so. That's silly.

And it's the roles they inhabit I ranked. It just so happens that I like the "type" of characters these actors played. This is why, even though Coop is my favorite actor, there is no way his Professor Potts would ever make my list...nor would Sinatra's Dirty Dingus MacGee.

I know. I just found it interesting that a certain kind of character dominates your favorite male character list. Interestingly, you commented about my list lacking "comedies" and I think I have one more male comedy character and I believe two more female comedy characters than you do! Phony! :P

Fonda surprised me, too. And I even REMOVED a Fonda character...Joe in The Long Night. I really like him. I like his character in You Only Live Once, too, and I would love to have included Col. Thursday. In fact, the last one there was simply because I forgot. So Fonda might have tied with Coop had I not forgotten about the Colonel.

I'm glad you are starting to realize you actually like Henry Fonda. You can go ahead and put his comedies aside.

Maureen continues to rise in my estimation.

Only because of Ford. It's the same with me. There is NO WAY Maureen O'Hara would have been in my top ten until I watched Ford.

That's the biggest surprise. And I was surprised at myself for not even including "Scottie" or "Jeff Webster".

I have six Stewart characters in my next 50, so he does show up. But I'm really surprised he doesn't have one "big one" with me. He's just good across the board. It's the same with Barbara Stanwyck.

Yes! I even ranked Glory higher than you did.

Gloria lacks leading roles, which hurts her chances of having some of my very favorite characters. Even my favorite of hers is a supporting character.

I am surprised to see Myrna crack your top ten

So was I! I think I've only seen four Myrna films, too.

I didn't expect Rita to surpass Ava and Linda!

I have found out that Rita is a really underrated actress. When she gets serious, she becomes rather mesmerizing.

>I'm glad you are starting to realize you actually like Henry Fonda. You can go ahead and put his comedies aside.

There aren't but a handful. The odd "On Our Merry Way" is one you might get out of after his and Stewart's segment. I think he is a riot in "The Cheyenne Social Club."

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Good evening Sir Francis.

>

> I am not as big a fan as our lovely friend. It makes me a little uncomfortable watching Fonda look like such a goof. And I generally really like Sturges.

As usual, our mutual friend was being sarcastic about me. My feelings EXACTLY mirror yours, only in SPADES. I loathe Fonda's character in The Lady Eve, it ruins the whole film for me.

There are two Fonda comedies I enjoy: The Mad Miss Manton and Yours, Mine and Ours. In the latter film, he's the funniest person in the whole shebang---funnier than Lucy. Some of his line readings have me howling. I think it's because he doesn't act goofy or try to be funny, he plays it straight and yet he makes me laugh out loud.

I am not as big a fan as our lovely friend.

Are we talking about the same person? We can't be. :D

It makes me a little uncomfortable watching Fonda look like such a goof. And I generally really like Sturges.

You sound like Miss Whosits! Fonda is very secondary in the film... for me. It's really Stanwyck's picture. And I'm big on William Demarest and Charles Coburn.

It's my third favorite Sturges film. It's kind of a "reverse" film noir.

I'm with you about Fonda in "Yours, Mine and Ours" but later Lucy does nothing for me. I haven't seen "Manton" in years and I am trying to correct that.

Fonda is certainly a secondary role to Stanwyck but her is around enough to make me wish some of those smarts he is supposed to have would show up. For me it might have been more fun if Fonda had been more Stanwyck's intellectual equal. Seeing her get hers would have helped. Coburn, as always, is fun.

Fonda is certainly a secondary role to Stanwyck but her is around enough to make me wish some of those smarts he is supposed to have would show up. For me it might have been more fun if Fonda had been more Stanwyck's intellectual equal. Seeing her get hers would have helped. Coburn, as always, is fun.

Eve (Barbara Stanwyck) is basically a femme fatale and Pike (Henry Fonda) is a sap. In film noir, the sap gets taken. Here, the femme fatale gets taken... by love. Pike is to represent the kind and innocent in life. He's a "boy." Sure, he's played to the extreme, but that's where the comedy is to come from. He's pure, virginal. Keep in mind, not everyone who is smart is sharp, particularly when it comes to life experience.

50 points for #1, 49 points for #2, and so on.

If I may blab my way into your conversation, here, folks....

Let me get this straight, Grey Dude... you have devised a point system based on the number of characters (played by the same person) that you and Miss G have on your lists... and have ranked the actors by how many times (and what number) characters they played were mentioned??

Can I be included in your count too?? ha. Because if you are willing to add in MORE votes..ha.. just seeing my two MOST favorite actors of all time ON TOP of your tally right now.. ha... Well... it would be enough to make me even TRY to come up w/ a list just to help KEEP them there.. ha. (I am so partisan when it comes to vote counts..ha. I like to support my candidates!! ha)

Okay, you're right, he was just a tough talker with his girls.

That's right!! Heehee! Otherwise, how could Kate Hepburn have talked him into doing all those things and her winning the arguments at the same time? He's a big teddy bear....even with a gun in his hands! :D

I certainly wish you would!

I'll have to check out everyone else's lists and I've made half of mine so far. I'm having so much fun with it!

Oh wait.. I went back and looked again... The Duke and Sweet Maureen are at the top of MISS G's list... but not necessarily at the top of THE list....

Still.. if you COMBINED lists and added the points.... (are you up for it, Mr. Grey??)

Good evening, Blabby -- If I may blab my way into your conversation, here, folks.

Go right to it!

Let me get this straight, Grey Dude... you have devised a point system based on the number of characters (played by the same person) that you and Miss G have on your lists... and have ranked the actors by how many times (and what number) characters they played were mentioned??

No, no, no. I gave 50 points to the actor and actress who ranked #1 on her lists and then my lists. So Vivien Leigh got 50 points for "Scarlett" and she got 37 points for "Myra." Maureen O'Hara had three characters make Miss G's top 50, with two of them ranking very high, which is worth more points.

Still.. if you COMBINED lists and added the points.... (are you up for it, Mr. Grey??)

Are you saying you're going to make a list of your 50 favorite male and female characters... in order? You? Really? C'mon! Are you going to sway the vote by being dishonest with your rankings?! :P

If I combined Miss G and my favorites (ewwww, yuck), it would look like this:

1. John Wayne (242) 87-13

2. Robert Mitchum (233) 43-57

3. Gary Cooper (209) 93-7

4. Cary Grant (193) 2-98

5. Henry Fonda (150) 67-33

6. Humphrey Bogart (124) 17-83

7. Clark Gable (100) 97-3

Geez, I just realized, it is ME who has TWO Spencer Tracy characters in my top 50 and none for Snippy. Unreal.

1. Maureen O'Hara (190) 57-43

2. Joan Bennett (174) 30-70

3. Ava Gardner (139) 61-39

4. Myrna Loy (130) 63-37

5. Carole Lombard (127) 67-33

6. Vivien Leigh (120) 73-27

7. Rita Hayworth (113) 47-53

And where's the Ingrid Bergman characters for Miss Whosits?! Surprisingly, I favor Rita's characters, more.

Ohhhhh, I see what you're up to. You want to see Wayne and O'Hara at the top. Well, you are right, O'Hara's characters are actually favorites of both mine and Miss G. That's a 57-43 percentage. But Wayne is mostly her influence (87-13 percent). Mitchum is our shared favorite (57-43) for guys.

So how about a Mitchum-O'Hara pairing? Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

HELLOOOOOOOO Mr. Grey....

No, no, no. I gave 50 points to the actor and actress who ranked #1 on her lists and then my lists

Ok.. I think I get it...

Are you saying you're going to make a list of your 50 favorite male and female characters... in order? You? Really? C'mon!

Ha.. yes I know.. hard to believe aint it??? ha. Would it surprise you to know that I have been working on one already????????? ha. You folks inspired me over the weekend..ha. But I did not get all the way to fifty.. and then I got distracted by another project.. and then I got busy with some stuff.. etc, etc.. ha. ( but I am about up to 30 on the men.. have not started the women yet) I will TRY to get it finished.. SOMEtime in the next few days (weeks, months..years) :-)

Are you going to sway the vote by being dishonest with your rankings?!

NO way.. ha. I am TOTALLY respectful of the voting process. ha. (and just to show you I MEAN it..ha.. KING KONG is even on my list (because it IS a "favorite character's list) ha. So that has to tell you I have NO hidden motives..ha. If I did, I'd be stacking more and more Duke films than anything...ha.)

And where's the Ingrid Bergman characters for Miss Whosits

Well.. I'd have to go back and re-read her list again to see how we compare.. but I will tell you that Ingrid is going to make my list... somewhere...

Ohhhhh, I see what you're up to. You want to see Wayne and O'Hara at the top

Ding! Ding! Ding!!! We have a winner!! :P

So my real question here is... will you disqualify me if I can only (finally) get a list of say.. 43?? or 38?? ha. Just random numbers... I have not had so much trouble since I took the bait and tried to list my top gazillion (or was it 100?) Westerns. Ha. (I think I only made it into the 60's.... ha. NOT because I did not have 100 Westerns that I liked.. I just could not think of them all in an orderly "list worthy" fashion. ha. I am worried I am going to have the same problem here.. but I can TRY.

So how about a Mitchum-O'Hara pairing? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

OH gee... He IS on my list in a couple of places... (note to self... make sure all your Duke films rank higher up than all your Mitchums....) oh.. uh... pretend you didn't see that..ha. (did I mention I respect the voting process??????) ha.

HELLOOOOOOOO Mr. Grey....

:D Hey there, silly.

Ha.. yes I know.. hard to believe aint it??? ha. Would it surprise you to know that I have been working on one already????????? ha. You folks inspired me over the weekend..ha. But I did not get all the way to fifty.. and then I got distracted by another project.. and then I got busy with some stuff.. etc, etc.. ha. ( but I am about up to 30 on the men.. have not started the women yet) I will TRY to get it finished.. SOMEtime in the next few days (weeks, months..years)

WOW! I am completely impressed. I thought Miss G would be the only one who would even consider doing something like that. Geez, I may actually start to respect you. :P:P I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing your list. I know some of your big favorites, but I have no idea who is going to make the fifty.

NO way.. ha. I am TOTALLY respectful of the voting process. ha. (and just to show you I MEAN it..ha.. KING KONG is even on my list (because it IS a "favorite character's list) ha. So that has to tell you I have NO hidden motives..ha. If I did, I'd be stacking more and more Duke films than anything...ha.)

You better be... or else!

Well.. I'd have to go back and re-read her list again to see how we compare.. but I will tell you that Ingrid is going to make my list... somewhere.

She didn't have an Ingrid character! Sweet Ingrid! At least you've got some taste.

So my real question here is... will you disqualify me if I can only (finally) get a list of say.. 43?? or 38?? ha. Just random numbers... I have not had so much trouble since I took the bait and tried to list my top gazillion (or was it 100?) Westerns. Ha. (I think I only made it into the 60's.... ha. NOT because I did not have 100 Westerns that I liked.. I just could not think of them all in an orderly "list worthy" fashion. ha. I am worried I am going to have the same problem here.. but I can TRY.

If you can't make it to 50, that's okay. Whatever the number you end up with is the max points your top-ranked character will get.

OH gee... He IS on my list in a couple of places... (note to self... make sure all your Duke films rank higher up than all your Mitchums....) oh.. uh... pretend you didn't see that..ha. (did I mention I respect the voting process??????) ha.

:D The Duke will only pad his lead, thanks to you.

With my 100:

1. Joan Bennett (322)

2. Grace Kelly (244)

3. Maureen O'Hara (242)

4. Rita Hayworth (209)

5. Ava Gardner (208)

6. Ingrid Bergman (203)

7. Gloria Grahame (190)

8. Deborah Kerr (162)

9. Linda Darnell (157)

10. Kim Novak (155)

That's quite representative of my favorite actresses, except for Gene Tierney and Barbara Stanwyck. Evidently, I'm not big on their characters. Although, the actress with the most characters in my top 100 is Barbara Stanwyck, with five. Gene only has two.