Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greatest movie characters of all time

Hi my little "Boca Twin"!!

WOW, look at YOU out here making lists... and putting me to shame even MORE than I already have been. ha. Everybody has so many films on here that I have not seen yet.. but YOU take the cake kid. I am going to have to go check out most of the titles on your lists to see what I have been missing!!

I was thinking of putting good old Kong on my male list, HA!

Ha.. well, you know, our other buddy Godzilla was on my mind, too. But I think I have a soft spot for the original Kong. For me he is like the "father" of all movie monsters. :-)

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Fantastic lists, Bronxie, You put me to shame!

Fiddle-faddle! But....thank you. I have a lot of my inner child in those lists, sometimes more than I'd care to admit.

Hey, you've got a lot of Guinness -- I like it!

<<>>

Colleen always scares me, so it's always amazing when we can see into the true heart of one of her strong, frosty characters.

I just saw Kate again in SUMMERTIME and could kick myself for not including her. It just might be her best screen performance. Her character is supposed to be from Akron but it couldn't be more Yankee, lol, which heightens the culture clash. Even at the very end, she's still asking "Why?" (to Mauro, but don't get me started on him -- LOL, ask Miss G.)

>

> I had William Daniels as John Adams on my list but had to bump him. Ditto Lew Ayres. Ditto Spencer Tracy for the exact same role in Judgment at Nuremberg.

We have good taste, don't we??

>

> I LOVE Don Ameche.

This one came out of left field for me, because I was knocked out by the naturalness of Don's peformance (along with Loretta's, although she got bumped because of her black wig and essential miscasting) You might say Ameche is not exactly a Spanish Indian either, but, well, he LOOKS better, lol.

>

> You were inspired to add BERNARD MILES as *Joe Gargery*.... I am highlighting his name because he is so great in this movie, he needs to be known and made a big deal of. I love his Joe, so sweet and loving and kind even though he is aware that Pip is embarrassed by him. Gulp! I am going to cry thinking of him.

You're astute! I actually woke up in the middle of the night and cried out: "I forgot Bernard Miles as Joe!!" So I got out of bed and rushed to the computer. He's the essence of charity and kindness and I just want to hug him whenever he appears. So glad he got a chance at real happiness with the second wife. "What times we'll have, eh, Pip?" I could cry too!!

>

> I tried to add Robert Donat, but couldn't get down to one role that I loved the best. I love him in everything. My Professor Higgins (Leslie Howard) kept moving down the list. It is probably number 2 on my favorite performances list, but as a character, I don't always LIKE him.

I was struggling with Donat as well, but finally realized that for me he was at his most sophisticated and romantic as a British spy in love with Russian princess Marlene Dietrich. He also gets points for his (all too brief) reciting of a Robert Browning poem. I've never seen the Leslie Howard Higgins but since you rate him so high you've got my interest piqued.

>

> Strangely, I had way more women than men to pick from. I can't believe I didn't pick Guiletta Massina, after picking Anthony Quinn's Zampano. I'm glad you did. Pegotty yes! Helene Hanff yes! And thanks for picking Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter - another axed member of my list. Jean Brooks- yes!

Jessie Ralph looks so much like W.C. Fields it's almost as if HE is playing Peggoty, lol. Actually I picked Celia in THE PRIME OF MISS BRODIE. I just love her misunderstood Miss Mackay. I prefer this small performance to Johnson in BRIEF ENCOUNTER for some reason.

Jean Brooks gets points for the hair style alone.

>

> That one reminded me that I forgot a really important *Jean Dixon* in My Man Godfrey.

I like Carole Lombard but haven't seen a lot of her films.

>

> I _love_ your picks, and I feel like they are close to mine in a lot of ways, though I may be way off.

No, I believe you're right -- we're Anglophiles on the surface but with an American heart and soul. (now I'm the one who's probably wrong)

>

> Arletty! Of course.

Poor Baptiste!

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 14, 2010 9:54 PM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> I just saw Kate again in SUMMERTIME and could kick myself for not including her. It just might be her best screen performance. Her character is supposed to be from Akron but it couldn't be more Yankee, lol, which heightens the culture clash. Even at the very end, she's still asking "Why?" (to Mauro, but don't get me started on him -- LOL, ask Miss G.)

Is Rossano a guilty pleasure for you? He is for me... I don't know why, but I always like him, even in the most soap opera-ish movies. Even in The Barefoot Contessa I find myself thinking, "Who cares about a little war injury, as long as he could recite the phone book to me."

You probably hate him, and I just revealed my shameful little secret. :)

I love Kate in this movie - I was watching a little this afternoon - she is so scared of being taken advantage of... but more than that, she is so scared of being found out - it's the bookend to Now Voyager.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Amazing lists, Duchess---and they're so you, you little Anglo-Phile you! I knew who your number one girl would be but you had plentyle of surprises in there, too---and quite a few movies I've never even seen.

Oh thank you Mrs. D! I didn't choose Wendy Hiller, though, in I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING!, but the character that SHE in her heart really identifies with. I love your Ford male picks and we both appreciate Yul Brynner! And Mrs. McClennar, of course.

>

> You give this place Klass, Lady B. :)

LOL. Yeah, right....

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Hi my little "Boca Twin"!!

>

> WOW, look at YOU out here making lists... and putting me to shame even MORE than I already have been. ha. Everybody has so many films on here that I have not seen yet.. but YOU take the cake kid. I am going to have to go check out most of the titles on your lists to see what I have been missing!!

Thank you, twinnie, but I figured it was about time for me to finally start putting in some WORK on these boards as you all do with your voluminous informative lists in other threads. I just decided I had to throw in my two cents worth.

>

> I was thinking of putting good old Kong on my male list, HA!

>

> Ha.. well, you know, our other buddy Godzilla was on my mind, too. But I think I have a soft spot for the original Kong. For me he is like the "father" of all movie monsters. :-)

HAHAHAHA! I was thinking of Godzy too!!! But Kong is fuzzier and such a tragic romantic figure.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 14, 2010 11:28 PM

> Is Rossano a guilty pleasure for you? He is for me... I don't know why, but I always like him, even in the most soap opera-ish movies. Even in The Barefoot Contessa I find myself thinking, "Who cares about a little war injury, as long as he could recite the phone book to me."

>

> You probably hate him, and I just revealed my shameful little secret. :)

Are you kidding -- I love Rossano as an actor and as a sex symbol -- Woof! Even when he's being a (blank) heel to Ava in THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA (I must admit, however, that I would NOT be content to just let him read the phone book to me on my wedding night and afterwards...Nope, nope, nope. But what can i say, I'm greedy) Ever see THE STORY OF ESTHER COSTELLO? He's a real scumbag in that one but who could resist his continental charms, certainly not Joan Crawford.

> I love Kate in this movie - I was watching a little this afternoon - she is so scared of being taken advantage of... but more than that, she is so scared of being found out - it's the bookend to Now Voyager.

She had such an intuitive take on the lonliness and yearning in that character.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 14, 2010 10:33 PM

Here are a few:

Harvey "Big Daddy" Pollitt - Burl Ives in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Scarlett O'Hara - Vivien Leigh in Gone With the Wind.

Vinny Gambini - Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny.

Mrs. Parker - Melinda Dillon in A Christmas Story.

Paul Edgecomb - Tom Hanks in The Green Mile.

Mrs. Robinson - Anne Bancroft in The Graduate.

Oscar Madison - Walter Matthau in The Odd Couple.

Mattie Ross - Kim Darby in True Grit.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice - Jackie Gleason in Smokey and the Bandit.

Connie Corleone - Talia Shire in The Godfather.

I'm sorry. You said Mauro before, didn't you? I have a one track brain - I leaped right to Rossano Brazzi instead.....I remember your comments about another baby or kid in a film.... and they weren't kindly.... is this the same feeling with Mauro? I had a kid about Mauro's age come up and stroke my hair suggestively while trying to stick his hand in my bag when I was in Rome once. It was the creepiest thing in the world. I couldn't get that out of my mind while watching the movie.

And you're right about Hepburn... there is something intuitive in her portrayal.... she just lets everything wash over her... the colors and the 'feel' of Venice. I got it recorded and watched a little more closely last night. She starts as such a typical tourist, but then you see she appreciates everything so much. I like the difference between her and the older couple on holiday. They are ugly Americans, greedily buying up as much Venetian glass as they can......for what? Yet even they don't turn out to be as bad as they first seem. The movie is gracious enough to give them a little humanity too.

Jane is so sure she is going to be taken advantage of.... more suspicious than the french, as Renato says. :) But it really boils down to not trusting yourself - she wants so badly for something to happen to her, and when it does, she fights it hard, not trusting her own emotions, which have not been used in so long. That's what feels true to me about the story. I was wrong about it being the bookend to Now Voyager, it's more like 'Alice Adams goes to Venice'. I like it SO much when an actor or actress can play foolish without it being forced - I see a lot of Holly Martins in Jane Hudson. But I want her to stay with Renato just a little longer, and cry like a baby at the end of the movie. Lean and train stations. sigh.

I like how they leave the character of Renato slightly questionable... it really is about trust... we are left with just a hint of doubt about him... but then there is that marvelous metaphor of the gardenia....she comes so close to having it, but can't quite reach it. I love Renato for trying, even at the last minute.

I haven't seen *The Story of Esther Costello*. I have always stayed away from later Joan movies...but I think I have been missing something. I'm not sure what it is I am missing but....I am willing to broaden my perspective. :)

There is also *Three Coins in the Fountain*. His and Jean Peters section of the story is my favorite, probably because something actually happens in that one, and we are treated to the wonderful countryside (probably California) and colorful Italian family life right out of a girlish dream.

Oooh. Weird how Rossano Brazzi is in Summertime with Hepburn but then plays Prf. Bhaer in *Little Women*, but it's June Allyson instead. Somehow, that's a really quirky connection to me.

Good evening, Denver -- I think Scarlett has learned something by the end of the film.... but that doesn't mean that she isn't still Scarlett.

What has she learned? That daddy is right?

and yes, I think she LOVES the work she does and the freedom it gives her.

I've only seen the film twice, so I'd have to watch those scenes again. I took Scarlett as someone who gets bored with something very quickly versus committed to anything.

I do like my characters free..... I prize freedom more than almost anything else. I want to make up my own mind, not rely on someone else to do it for me. I always felt a bit pulled back down to earth as a child, and I didn't want to be - I was like Amy Reed - I wanted this:

"And She Was." Very nice!

and people don't really understand that.

I know that you don't like being treated as a child, but you seem to be drawn to the inner-child, Amy.

Most of my characters are outside, some want to be and others don't. Some live a life free of conventions, which has a trade off - it can be lonely, unless you find someone willing to live "outside" with you. And some actively battle convention, like Maude. Maybe it's not convention that they are battling against, but convention for convention's sake. Tradition without any thought or humanity behind it is the great evil. John Ford definitely represents this most of all.

That's excellent! I see that in many of your favorite characters. Some of my favorite male characters are like this: Juror #8, Henry Drummond, Johnny Case. Most of the female characters I like aren't rebels. But most are full of fight. They are going to "wrestle" you.

I think my men are childish, and I like them to be "freed" by going through some emotional upheaval.

Those kind of men are definitely represented on your list. A couple of your "Ben Johnsons" are this.

I honestly didn't see any of this until I made this list..... so I thank you for the insight into myself - my favorite subject.

:D I always thought you didn't like to look too deeply at yourself.

Good evening all!

Thought I'd give you all a little taste of what is to come with my favorite actors list. I am still doing my research, and looking at my movie collection and gathering info, but here are twelve of my picks so far. These picks are in alpha order, not numerical as of yet.

Just to wet your appetites for more....to come.

Charly Madison, James Garner, The Americanization of Emily

John J. Macreedy, Spencer Tracy, Bad Day at Black Rock

Captain Eric Finlander, Richard Widmark, The Bedford Incident

Robert Stroud, Burt Lancaster, Birdman of Alcatraz

Lt. Frank Bullitt, Steve McQueen, Bullitt

Senator Jay Bullington Bulworth, Warren Beatty, Bulworth

Klaatu, Michael Rennie, The Day the Earth Stood Still

Daniel Miller, Albert Brooks, Defending Your Life

Bob Diamond, Rip Torn, Defending Your Life

Captain Murrell, Robert Mitchum, The Enemy Below

General Black, Dan O'Herlihy, Fail-Safe

Groeteschele, Walter Matthau, Fail-Safe

Message edited by Fxreyman

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Good evening, Denver -- I think Scarlett has learned something by the end of the film.... but that doesn't mean that she isn't still Scarlett.

>

> *What has she learned? That daddy is right?*

Well for goodness sakes, she just figured out that she loves Rhett ...she knew daddy was right already.

> *I've only seen the film twice, so I'd have to watch those scenes again. I took Scarlett as someone who gets bored with something very quickly versus committed to anything.*

Well, I'm no expert either, but I see her as committed to what she wants to be committed to. She is a very competent business woman. Not ethical, but competent. Maybe you are right, she doesn't love it. I think she sees it as a means to an end. I think it's a challenge to her, and she loves a challenge. It also gives her an excuse to use her quick mind. And it gets her out of the house.... she doesn't want to be like the other women of her class, and who could really blame her? I don't remember what happens to the business, but I don't see her just sitting around fanning herself, and having palpitations like Aunt PittyPat. She is more like Mammy..... she knows what has to be done, and by god she is going to do whatever it takes. When she has to be, she is a very hard worker.

> *I know that you don't like being treated as a child, but you seem to be drawn to the inner-child, Amy.*

Yes, that's true. I don't like someone to talk down to me. I guess it depends on the demeanor of the person I am with. I like people to respect my wishes, just as I would respect anyone else's - child or adult. But that doesn't mean I don't want to be taken care of sometimes. I would like to be appreciated for what's in me, not always told why it's wrong.

>Most of my characters are outside, some want to be and others don't. Some live a life free of conventions, which has a trade off - it can be lonely, unless you find someone willing to live "outside" with you. And some actively battle convention, like Maude. Maybe it's not convention that they are battling against, but convention for convention's sake. Tradition without any thought or humanity behind it is the great evil. John Ford definitely represents this most of all.

>

> *That's excellent! I see that in many of your favorite characters. Some of my favorite male characters are like this: Juror #8, Henry Drummond, Johnny Case.*

Yes I see that, especially in Henry Drummond.... and I see it in you.

>*Most of the female characters I like aren't rebels. But most are full of fight. They are going to "wrestle" you.*

Your females are brats! :)

> I think my men are childish, and I like them to be "freed" by going through some emotional upheaval.

>

> *Those kind of men are definitely represented on your list. A couple of your "Ben Johnsons" are this.*

Like which ones?

> I honestly didn't see any of this until I made this list..... so I thank you for the insight into myself - my favorite subject.

>

> :D *I always thought you didn't like to look too deeply at yourself.*

I love to look at myself! I'm very vain. I just don't want others to look too closely. They might see something different than what I see.

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 15, 2010 9:51 PM

Well for goodness sakes, she just figured out that she loves Rhett

What?! Really?

Well, I'm no expert either, but I see her as committed to what she wants to be committed to. She is a very competent business woman. Not ethical, but competent. Maybe you are right, she doesn't love it. I think she sees it as a means to an end.

Your last sentence is what I believe. I definitely believe she enjoys being the boss and she really loves money. As you said, she's very competent. When Scarlett wants to be, she can. She isn't vacant, she only plays vacant. There's a lot of deception involved with Scarlett.

I think it's a challenge to her, and she loves a challenge. It also gives her an excuse to use her quick mind. And it gets her out of the house.... she doesn't want to be like the other women of her class, and who could really blame her? I don't remember what happens to the business, but I don't see her just sitting around fanning herself, and having palpitations like Aunt PittyPat. She is more like Mammy..... she knows what has to be done, and by god she is going to do whatever it takes. When she has to be, she is a very hard worker.

You're right, Scarlett isn't going to sit around and play house. She'd rather shop, in all its lively colors. :) She likes money and she likes spending money even more. So that's why she's on every gal's list! :P

Yes, that's true. I don't like someone to talk down to me. I guess it depends on the demeanor of the person I am with. I like people to respect my wishes, just as I would respect anyone else's - child or adult. But that doesn't mean I don't want to be taken care of sometimes. I would like to be appreciated for what's in me, not always told why it's wrong.

It's wrong! Now let me tell you why. :P

Yes I see that, especially in Henry Drummond.... and I see it in you.

Me?! Have you been at the nip?!

Can a Goody-Two-Shoes be a rebel?

Your females are brats!

Yes! I love 'em! I enjoy difficult women. Why do you think I adore you so much? :D

Those kind of men are definitely represented on your list. A couple of your "Ben Johnsons" are this.

Like which ones?

"Chris Calloway" is a bully who doesn't think for himself, like a child. He eventually does and this "frees him," as you wisely say. See, you're not wrong! You're right! "Travis Blue" is also a "boy" who is just passing the time, "playing games," but the Mormons help him to "grow up." I'm not sure he is "freed," though. He's trapped with you, Denver! :P

I love to look at myself! I'm very vain. I just don't want others to look too closely. They might see something different than what I see.

That is wonderfully profound. It truly is. You wish to define your faults, not someone else, especially a guy. It's a defense mechanism. I'm quite familiar with defense mechanisms. :)

I think someone else already mentioned Harry Lime as a great character. I'd point out two other great characters Welles played, Cap. Hank Quinlan in *Touch of Evil*, and Michael O'Hara in *The Lady from Shanghai*. Kind of opposites, but both great characters.

Just about all the characters in *The Maltese Falcon* deserve mention.

Since Klatuu has been mentioned, I think it only fair to point out that great character Gort. He didn't have a lot of lines, but he could emote, very impressively!

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> I think someone else already mentioned Harry Lime as a great character. I'd point out two other great characters Welles played, Cap. Hank Quinlan in *Touch of Evil*, and Michael O'Hara in *The Lady from Shanghai*. Kind of opposites, but both great characters.

I think you could also include Mr. Arkadin among those iconic and somewhat larger-than-life characters Orson was so good at playing. I don't think he was a bad actor, but he has always struck me as more of a personality than a mere actor, for better or worse.

I can't argue with you, I had considered mentioning Mr. Arkadin too. Much as I like *Mr. Arkadin*, it reminds me somewhat of *The Mask of Dimitrios*, made 10 years earlier. That, in turn, reminds me of Sidney Greenstreet, and Peter Lorre. Along with Welles, they almost always played characters that were, really characters, larger than life, or more intense than life...

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Well for goodness sakes, she just figured out that she --loves-- *wants* Rhett

>

> *What?! Really?*

You need to watch the movie again.

I thought I just heard a scream of agony, coming from a general westerly direction from here..... .....naw. Must have been a figment of my imagination.

>Well, I'm no expert either, but I see her as committed to what she wants to be committed to. She is a very competent business woman. Not ethical, but competent. Maybe you are right, she doesn't love it. I think she sees it as a means to an end.

>

> *Your last sentence is what I believe. I definitely believe she enjoys being the boss and she really loves money. As you said, she's very competent. When Scarlett wants to be, she can. She isn't vacant, she only plays vacant. There's a lot of deception involved with Scarlett.*

That's very true. But I think .... what was the question again?

> *You're right, Scarlett isn't going to sit around and play house. She'd rather shop, in all its lively colors. :) She likes money and she likes spending money even more. So that's why she's on every gal's list! :P*

Not all of us like to shop. There's ... and ... wait, no..... well.... not all of us like to shop!

>I would like to be appreciated for what's in me, not always told why it's wrong

>

> *It's wrong! Now let me tell you why. :P*

:P

>Yes I see that, especially in Henry Drummond.... and I see it in you.

>

> *Me?! Have you been at the nip?!*

No champoo for me. Too early.

> *Can a Goody-Two-Shoes be a rebel?*

Obviously you have a split personality, Mr.Black and White.

>Your females are brats!

>

> Yes! I love 'em! I enjoy difficult women. Why do you think I adore you so much? :D

I'm the most horrible! I'm the most horrible! :D:D:D

> *Those kind of men are definitely represented on your list. A couple of your "Ben Johnsons" are this.*

>

> Like which ones?[/b]

>

> "Chris Calloway" is a bully who doesn't think for himself, like a child. He eventually does and this "frees him," as you wisely say. See, you're not wrong! You're right! "Travis Blue" is also a "boy" who is just passing the time, "playing games," but the Mormons help him to "grow up." I'm not sure he is "freed," though. *He's trapped with you, Denver!*:P

I'll make him so happy, he'll never know it. Can you be freed and blinded at the same time? :)

Let's talk some more about Ben.... sigh.

> *I'm quite familiar with defense mechanisms. :)*

What's that supposed to mean?

You need to watch the movie again.

I thought I just heard a scream of agony, coming from a general westerly direction from here..... .....naw. Must have been a figment of my imagination.

I'm screaming in agony, that's for darn sure! Scarlett only wants what Scarlett doesn't have! Women.

Not all of us like to shop. There's ... and ... wait, no..... well.... not all of us like to shop!

:D You're no Mellie!

No champoo for me. Too early.

I'm sure Miss G has drank your supply, anyways. Any time is the right time for her.

I'm the most horrible! I'm the most horrible!

You're up there, And She Was.

Can you be freed and blinded at the same time?

Most people are this!

Let's talk some more about Ben.... sigh.

Screams of agony! NOT ecstasy.

I'm quite familiar with defense mechanisms.

What's that supposed to mean?

I have a million of them.

I must be going! That should make you feel a heckuva lot better.

I vote for Leslie Benedict of Giant, my favorite Elizabeth Taylor role. She was beautiful, feminine, loving, determined, and a feminist before we even knew the word. She's respectful of all, thinks of the servants, Black and Mexican, as fellow humans, and is not afraid to stand up to anyone, even her husband, to see wrongs righted. To a teen-ager, which I was when I first saw it, she was a role model even though I knew I'd never come close to her outer beauty. I wanted her courage and compassion. I find it absurd that Rock Hudson and James Dean got oscar nominations but not her.

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> Good evening all!

>

> Thought I'd give you all a little taste of what is to come with my favorite actors list. I am still doing my research, and looking at my movie collection and gathering info, but here are twelve of my picks so far. These picks are in alpha order, not numerical as of yet.

>

> Just to wet your appetites for more....to come.

>

> Charly Madison, James Garner, The Americanization of Emily

> John J. Macreedy, Spencer Tracy, Bad Day at Black Rock

> Captain Eric Finlander, Richard Widmark, The Bedford Incident

> Robert Stroud, Burt Lancaster, Birdman of Alcatraz

> Lt. Frank Bullitt, Steve McQueen, Bullitt

> Senator Jay Bullington Bulworth, Warren Beatty, Bulworth

> Klaatu, Michael Rennie, The Day the Earth Stood Still

> Daniel Miller, Albert Brooks, Defending Your Life

> Bob Diamond, Rip Torn, Defending Your Life

> Captain Murrell, Robert Mitchum, The Enemy Below

> General Black, Dan O'Herlihy, Fail-Safe

> Groeteschele, Walter Matthau, Fail-Safe

>

> Message edited by Fxreyman

reyman! I thought I had posted something to you last night, but now I see I must have dreamed it....

I love your inclusion of Robert Stroud and John J. Macreedy - both awesome characters.... but I love Macreedy a little bit more.

*Bullitt* is a film I have to go back and watch over again, since it is so long since I've seen it that I barely remember it. But I could put Steve McQueen on my list at least 3 times, if not more. I really love him, and I think he's as underrated nowadays as he was popular back a few years ago. He was made for film.

I love *Leslie Benedict* in GIANT, and she's on my list. I thought Elizabeth did a grand job. I like that even with all her passionate conviction, she also showed she had a sense of humor and could laugh at herself.

wouldbestar -

I am inclined to agree with you. I think Leslie might be my favorite Taylor character. She really brings that whole sprawling movie together doesn't she? And like you say, she is feminine, but strong minded in a good way. She is another outsider with righteous indignation over prejudice and an instinctive willingness to battle "the way things are done here in Texas".