Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CineMaven

Women In Action

I've always favored Irish McCalla and Frances Gifford and Maureen O'Sullivan in their action serials. Is a woman's place just in the home...or can she hang in the jungle? Don't be sexist...be sincere. What say you out there in TCM City??

Talk LOUD...IT'S A JUNGLE IN HERE!!!!!!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> I've always favored Irish McCalla and Frances Gifford and Maureen O'Sullivan in their action serials. Is a woman's place just in the home...or can she hang in the jungle?

Irish McCalla ("Sheena") was a babe, and, of course, the star of the classic She Demons. She hung out quite nicely in the jungle.

Yvonne Decarlo was lots of fun in all those dumb-**** 1950's Universal action epics. Sometimes she had to be the princess who gets rescued by Tall-Dark-and-Handsome, but other times she really got to kick ****.

P.S. I didn't know you can't say "****" here. You learn something every day. What fun.

Edited by: DougieB on Mar 10, 2010 9:16 AM

Dougie, you got that right about Yvonne DeCarlo. She was such great fun in those action movies. I had the feeling that she didn't take it all that seriously. Plus, she was great to look at, and she usually managed to include a musical number or two. And look at all those wonderful male stars that she got to costar with! She was really something!

Terrence.

Leave us not forget "The Queen of the Republic serials," Linda Stirling, who was quite fetching as THE TIGER WOMAN in 1944, as well as numerous other serials.

I think my gal Jean Peters was very good as a pirate in Anne Of The Indies.

Maureen was very fetching in (fill in the blank). I really like her and Ty Power in The Long Gray Line as well.

Gianna Maria Canale and Chelo Alonso were both very prominent in Italian made action films of the 60-s. Both often played lead and title roles, such as "Queen of the Tartars" and "The Pirate's Captive" and "Avenger of the Seven Seas" Lisa Gastoni was also in many such as "The Adventures of Mary Read" in which she played a fetching pickpocket who graduated to high seas piracy.

These three women were major stars in all the action films of the decade and were sometimes the heroine and sometimes the villainess but almoswt always had a large and prominent role in all their films. Alonso almost always performed a sexy dance as heroine or villanies. She was a professional dancer before becoming an actress so she was very popular in exotic roles.

I had the pleasure of seeing Gianna Maria Canale in The Man From Cairo with George Raft. She was very beautiful and had a great voice. I'd love to see more films with GMC.

There are many women oriented [action movies|http://www.tcm.com] like these. Amongst all these actresses i must say Angelina Joli made her own special peak. She is awesome.

Edited by: TCMWebAdmin on Dec 17, 2011 10:43 AM