Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

JackFavell

*That's alright, you can always O.D. on corned beef and cabbage.* - JackFavell

Oooh, my weak spot. My 135lb frame has been known to polish off a three-pound corned beef. If you want any, you'd better come armed to the teeth. I think I'll go drag one out of the freezer for Sunday...

There is a Tyrone Power film called *The Luck of the Irish* which is fun. Thanks for showing me how to re-size the image. If you right click on the image and View Image is should be twice the size.

o_Luck_Of_the_Irish_Original_Mine.bmp.jpg

I forgot they said it won't show in General Discussions but it Previews OK. Just cut an paste the url

*I posted early so people would have a chance to post their St. Patrick's Day greetings and wishes before the big day.*

Jacks,

No worries, in the last year or so, it's become sort of a tradition to post holiday good wishes a tad early!

To all "A Happy Saint Patrick's Day" Erin Go Bragh - Me Grandmother came from County Cork

An Irish Blessing:

"May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

and until we meet again,

May the lord hold you in the palm of his hand.

And may you be in Heaven one hour

before the Devil knows you're dead".

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 5, 2010 7:34 PM

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> To all "A Happy Saint Patrick's Day" Erin Go Bragh - Me Grandmother came from County Cork

My grandmother also came from County Cork, Tullylease.

She was born in 1900 and immigrated to the US in 1920.

I remember her telling the story of coming here on a ship, in steerage, to meet her sister who had come to the States some time earlier.

She said she spent the entire trip below not feeling well at all, then when they pulled into the harbor, someone came to her and said "Hannah, come see the Statue of Liberty".

That got her on deck and it was her first image of America.

> {quote:title=rayallen wrote:}{quote}

> She said she spent the entire trip below not feeling well at all, then when they pulled into the harbor, someone came to her and said "Hannah, come see the Statue of Liberty".

> That got her on deck and it was her first image of America.

Have you ever watched The Godfather, Part II ? There is a scene early on that sounds almost exactly like that.

sjff_03_img1083.jpg

Yes, that's four large pizzas with everything.

Even Barry Fitzgerald didn't start this early, but be that as it may...My dear old sainted

non-Irish mother used to serve corned beef and cabbage on a fairly regular basis. Yuck.

Don't know which was worse, the taste or the smell. As another ethnic group might say-

Never again. Now when it comes to Saint Patrick's Day, I stick to liquid sustenance

Not sending little Vito back to Italy turned out to be a big mistake. Yes, he was a cute little

wide-eyed shaver, but still...

> {quote:title=sineaste wrote:}{quote}

> Even Barry Fitzgerald didn't start this early, but be that as it may...My dear old sainted non-Irish mother used to serve corned beef and cabbage on a fairly regular basis. Yuck. Don't know which was worse, the taste or the smell. As another ethnic group might say- Never again. Now when it comes to Saint Patrick's Day, I stick to liquid sustenance

So what's your favorite beer?

> Not sending little Vito back to Italy turned out to be a big mistake. Yes, he was a cute wide-eyed shaver, but still...

Ah, but if they'd sent him back to Italy, we wouldn't have had those great Godfather movies. ;)

Well, under the circumstances, might as well go with Guinness, though I'm not a big

beer drinker. It does have a strong, distinctive taste. I think it's best by itself, because

it will wipe out the taste of food (though that might be an advantage in some cases).

Yes, but think of the hundreds of, albeit fictional, Americans who would still be alive.

> {quote:title=sineaste wrote:}{quote}

> Well, under the circumstances, might as well go with Guinness, though I'm not a big beer drinker. It does have a strong, distinctive taste. I think it's best by itself, because it will wipe out the taste of food (though that might be an advantage in some cases).

I like European beers best, though not necessarily Guinness. But I suppose I might just pick up a six-pack on St. Patrick's, just for the fun of it.

> Yes, but think of the hundreds of, albeit fictional, Americans who would still be alive.

LOL, touch?! :D

Archived