Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Well, if you're gonna be celebrating the wearing of the green (and drinkin'), me darlings, don't you think we oughta be invitin' Vic MacLaglen to be joinin' us?

Dennis!!! *Tear Gas Squad???* Never heard of it! What a wonderful song. He's really making himself heard there - is that John Payne getting all steamed?

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Well, if you're gonna be celebrating the wearing of the green (and drinkin'), me darlings, don't you think we oughta be invitin' Vic MacLaglen to be joinin' us?

Only if we can also invite Maureen O'Hara. ;)

*Only if we can also invite Maureen O'Hara*

She's already here as the hostess. I'm guessing you missed the photo that kicked the thread off?

Is that what the photo means? Sorry, I was too dense to catch that.

Well, if we have Maureen O'Hara and Vic MacLaglen, maybe there'll also be space for Maureen O'Sullivan...

*Is that what the photo means? Sorry, I was too dense to catch that.*

No worries, it was a photo of Maureen O' Hara when she was young, after all.

No Irish celebration seems complete without Vic though.

> Well, if you're gonna be celebrating the wearing of the green (and drinkin'), me darlings, don't you think we oughta be invitin' Vic MacLaglen to be joinin' us?

Tis in agreement with you I am!

"To the guardhouse!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2vce5s5lE

> {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> Dennis!!! *Tear Gas Squad???* Never heard of it! What a wonderful song. He's really making himself heard there - is that John Payne getting all steamed?

You know, I actually thought that was Robert Taylor at first instead of John, ha! (I know, I must be losing my mind) But that's Payne alright.

I never heard of this movie either. Who could ever believe that was the title from this clip, LOL?

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 6, 2010 1:03 AM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> > Dennis!!! *Tear Gas Squad???* Never heard of it! What a wonderful song. He's really making himself heard there - is that John Payne getting all steamed?

>

> You know, I actually thought that was Robert Taylor at first instead of John, ha!

>

> I never heard of this movie either. Who could ever believe that was the title from the clips of Dennis singing, LOL?

I'm not making this up - I thought it was Robert Taylor too! Must be the mustache. I had to look the title up to make sure it wasn't an overseas title (like *That Hamilton Woman* was *Lady Hamilton* in the U.K. - oh you know what I mean).

Either which way, Dennis Morgan, although not Irish, sure had a nice (I'm assuming) tenor voice.

(I think it's time for me to turn in, I'm starting to babble.)

*"To the guardhouse!"*

Bronxie,

Now that's the Vic I know and love.

"Ah, Captain darlin'. As you well know I took "the pledge" after Chapultepec. "

"Tis time to take me medicine"

> {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> > > Dennis!!! *Tear Gas Squad???* Never heard of it! What a wonderful song. He's really making himself heard there - is that John Payne getting all steamed?

> >

> > You know, I actually thought that was Robert Taylor at first instead of John, ha!

> >

> > I never heard of this movie either. Who could ever believe that was the title from the clips of Dennis singing, LOL?

>

> I'm not making this up - I thought it was Robert Taylor too! Must be the mustache. I had to look the title up to make sure it wasn't an overseas title (like *That Hamilton Woman* was *Lady Hamilton* in the U.K. - oh you know what I mean).

>

> Either which way, Dennis Morgan, although not Irish, sure had a nice (I'm assuming) tenor voice.

You thought that was Robert Taylor too?? Hahahahahahahahaha!!! It's also their cleft chins.

I believe you! But here is where I may part company with the normal world -- I thought it was Bob in a NAZI UNIFORM.

I'll bet the U.K. version is called THE LADY AND THE TEAR GAS SQUAD.

Isn't it interesting how many actors we thought were 100 per cent Irish, actually had Scandinavian backgrounds? James Cagney was half Norwegian, by golly!

> (I think it's time for me to turn in, I'm starting to babble.)

I babble at all hours.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 6, 2010 4:55 AM

> *"To the guardhouse!"*

>

> Bronxie,

>

> Now that's the Vic I know and love.

>

> "Ah, Captain darlin'. As you well know I took "the pledge" after Chapultepec. "

"And Bull Run, and Gettysburg and Shiloh, St. Patrick's Day and Fourth of July!"

Ah, me darlin'..... I was this close to calling it *Bronxie's St. Patrick Day thread*... but I didn't want to get into trouble.... you never know around here what might be the cause for a little brawlin'.

And thank you for the Sean clip! Whew! Sean with a scythe.... nice arms on that one.

May God give you...

For every storm, a rainbow,

For every tear, a smile,

For every care, a promise,

And a blessing in each trial.

For every problem life sends,

A faithful friend to share,

For every sigh, a sweet song,

And an answer for each prayer.

vlcsnap-747335.jpg

vlcsnap-747461.jpg

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> May God give you...

> For every storm, a rainbow,

> For every tear, a smile,

> For every care, a promise,

> And a blessing in each trial.

> For every problem life sends,

> A faithful friend to share,

> For every sigh, a sweet song,

> And an answer for each prayer.

That's a beautiful sentiment, JF. Irish tenors? Nah. I prefer bass baritones with a diastema. I have the Bailey's chillin' for the event. St Patrick's Day should start earlier, maybe the effects wouldn't be so seriously pronounced...

Here in St Paul, most parades are at noon, and I try to be off the roads by then.. Most of the folks have trouble marching by then. Fortunately, very few accidents, though quite a few DUIs.

Had boiled beef and cabbage, once. I agree; never again.

I'll take a Harp, thank you. Guinness is best in *Beef 'n Guinness* or *Guinness Pot Roast*.. YUM!

http://www.britspub.com/menu/index.php?strWebAction=menu_detail&intMenuID=1

Little known fact: No Irishman is ever drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass to keep from falling off the face of the Earth.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Ah, me darlin'..... I was this close to calling it *Bronxie's St. Patrick Day thread*... but I didn't want to get into trouble.... you never know around here what might be the cause for a little brawlin'.

Ah, go on wit' ya! It's nice to know that the tradition of the legitimate holiday thread is being continued. I was just a part of it all, but I'm flattered.

You might now not think so well of me when you hear how I mistook John Payne for ROBERT TAYLOR in that Dennis Morgan clip.

Oh, the shame of it....

>

> And thank you for the Sean clip! Whew! Sean with a scythe.... nice arms on that one.

We just might have a theme here: "Fine Male Arms" Let's see, Robert Donat, Sean Connery...

Surely now the reputation of that pleasant and green land can't be left solely

in the shaky hands of U.S. cavalry tipplers.

william_butler_yeats.jpg

Many times man lives and dies

Between his two eternities,

That of race and that of soul,

And ancient Ireland knew it all.