Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

The Professor is the big chocolate rabbit, that's probably why he's so snooty. Even a quick

look through the cellophane tells you he thinks he's a big chocolate deal. Parsnip Pete

also comes with a tiny copy of the Peter Rabbit story. What a guy. I'm sure the chocolate

they use in these rabbits isn't of the best quality, but they still taste good to me. I had to give

up solid rabbits, because one year I broke a tooth on one. I too start from the ears and work

my way down.

FYI: If anyone is interested, The Cape Town Affair, the remake of Pickup on South Street

is on FMC tonight at midnight. Might be interesting just to see how it compares. Jackie Bisset

is lovely, but I don't know if she can top Jean Peters.

247349_001.jpg

To be sure it wouldn't be an Irish celebration without a wee bit of

politics and drink, and if the two can be combined, so much the better.

Come gather round me, Parnellites,

And praise our chosen man;

Stand upright on your legs awhile,

Stand upright if you can,

For soon we lie where he is laid,

And he is underground;

Come fill up all those glasses

And pass the bottle round.

W.B.Y.

Follow the instructions on the package of the Corned Beef brisket. I can buy a very good one called Mount St. Helen's. There are intrustions on the package to roast the beef first, and then make a thin gravy with the pan juices. That's what I cook my wedges of cabbage with. It only takes 15 minutes to cook the cabbage.

Cook your potatoes seperately! I like Twice Baked Potatoes, with a dab of butter, a dab of sour cream, and fresh, snipped chives. Big ole Idaho bakers are not at their best when boiled with the beef. The best beer is a rich amber Bock. Coors Winterfest.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> I'm a wee bit rusty on Irish history, but I believe Parnellites were advocating a free Ireland, am I right?

> A little bit of Yeats, and a little bit of Irish spirits, and I feel energized and refreshed. :D

Parnell was a late 19th century Irish nationalist and MP for Ireland. I think his political beliefs

can best be labeled as Home Rule, a separate parliament for Ireland that would deal with

domestic issues, while the country still remained in the UK, with Westminster dealing with

international issues. In the splintered politics of the time, that would put him somewhere in the

middle, between Unionists, who wanted to maintain the status quo and nationalist groups like

the Irish Republican Brotherhood, who desired complete independence from Britain. He was

involved in a nasty personal scandal that led to a split among his followers shortly before his early death. TMI in sight.

Me too. :D

> {quote:title=sineaste wrote:}{quote}

> Parnell was a late 19th century Irish nationalist and MP for Ireland. I think his political beliefs can best be labeled as Home Rule, a separate parliament for Ireland that would deal with domestic issues, while the country still remained in the UK, with Westminster dealing with international issues. In the splintered politics of the time, that would put him somewhere in the middle, between Unionists, who wanted to maintain the status quo and nationalist groups like the Irish Republican Brotherhood, who desired complete independence from Britain. He was involved in a nasty personal scandal that led to a split among his followers shortly before his early death.

Yes, Home Rule, that rings a bell. I really ought to see Parnell again, and try hard not to snicker at Clark Gable's attempt at an Irish accent. ;)

I think I've seen bits of Michael Collins, and it's been while since I've seen The Quiet Man.

It is a little bit over the top on the Oirish blarney scale, but still enjoyable.

Even a great poet like Willie couldn't escape being in the movies. He's played by Michael

Redgrave in Young Cassidy. That's good casting, at least superficially, since Redgrave

looks a bit like Yeats, who effected a rather self-conscious aristocratic mien.

> It is a little bit over the top on the Oirish blarney scale, but still enjoyable.

>

I hear it's a lot more fun if you have a Guinness (or two) while you're watching it. ;)

And what about The Devil's Own - didn't Brad Pitt play an Irish lad in that one?

That's what you get for skipping class that day. The King of Hollywood as the uncrowned

King of Ireland. I'm going to avoid that one like a potato famine. Those cool cats are probably

just getting in some early practice for Halloween.

I meant to reduce the size of that picture of Parnell, but it wouldn't post that way. I wonder if

that doesn't work for this one forum.

> That's what you get for skipping class that day. The King of Hollywood as the uncrowned

> King of Ireland. I'm going to avoid that one like a potato famine. Those cool cats are probably

> just getting in some early practice for Halloween.

>

> I meant to reduce the size of that picture of Parnell, but it wouldn't post that way. I wonder if

> that doesn't work for this one forum.

Well, I've fallen asleep the two times I've tried to watch Young Cassidy. It's not the movie's fault, I was very tired both times. Is that with Rod Taylor. He is so worth watching. Next time, I arrange to be better rested before hand and maybe a little nudge now and then.

I find myself avoiding Angelina's soft puppy too,

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

> I meant to reduce the size of that picture of Parnell, but it wouldn't post that way. I wonder if that doesn't work for this one forum.

Remember, the regular codes don't work in General Discussions, you just have to use exclamation marks on each side of the link address.

Well, it might be the movie's fault also. If it's like the usual Hollywood fact-challenged

biopic, it's better to take it with a warehouse of salt and enjoy it as entertainment.

Now coming to your neighborhood cineplex, A Giant in the Entertainment Industry. A

Man Who Towered Over Other Performers But Never Got the Respect He Deserved,

Duogram Studios is Pleased to Announce the Premiere of the Sensational New Motion

Picture You Rang?The Ted Cassidy Story.

I remembered to use the !. I was wondering if that negates the ability to use the code to

reduce the size of the posted picture.

h4. Could be a movie

> Now coming to your neighborhood cineplex, A Giant in the Entertainment Industry. A

> Man Who Towered Over Other Performers But Never Got the Respect He Deserved,

> Duogram Studios is Pleased to Announce the Premiere of the Sensational New Motion

> Picture You Rang?The Ted Cassidy Story.

You stinker.. You got me to look it up in www.imdb.com -LOL !

Young Cassidy, Ted Cassidy, Ted Turner I guess I need to get my rest.

Edited by: casablancalover on Mar 12, 2010 10:02 PM

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> h4. Could be a movie

> You stinker.. You got me to look it up in www.imdb.com -LOL !

> Young Cassidy, Ted Cassidy, Ted Turner I guess I need to get my rest.

And the CIA, and the BBC, and Nat Busby. Dig It. Sure, it could be a movie.

A little indie B & W with some gothic touches,perhaps along the lines of Ed Wood.

If one can make a movie about that jackass, why not Ted Cassidy? Plus, Ted was

a Dallas, Texas disc jockey when Kennedy was assassinated and interviewed some of the witnesses on the radio. This thing almost writes itself. Scene One: A fifth-grade classroom

where the kids are making fun of a very tall classmate.

> > {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> > h4. Could be a movie

> > You stinker.. You got me to look it up in www.imdb.com -LOL !

> > Young Cassidy, Ted Cassidy, Ted Turner I guess I need to get my rest.

> And the CIA, and the BBC, and Nat Busby. Dig It. Sure, it could be a movie.

> A little indie B & W with some gothic touches,perhaps along the lines of Ed Wood.

Ted Cassidy in a pink angora sweater? I'll wiki Nat Busby. Working with you is a little like conversing with a blind date with a delightfully overactive imagination. Have I ever told you yet of my date with a guy with a 14" beard? Looked like ZZ Top. I tried to pretend it wasn't there. You think I'm making this up, don't you? Regrettably, no. Why did I bring this up? Oh yeah, he asked me what was the meaning of a bumper sticker saying, *Who is John Galt?* It will go down as a very strange evening, Ended early, blessedly.

> If one can make a movie about that jackass, why not Ted Cassidy? Plus, Ted was

> a Dallas, Texas disc jockey when Kennedy was assassinated and interviewed some of the witnesses on the radio. This thing almost writes itself.

The best movies do just that. That deep bass voice over the radio. Oh, rapture..

>Scene One: A fifth-grade classroom

> where the kids are making fun of a very tall classmate.

Insert lame "Boys Life" or "Scholastic News" joke _here_...

I wonder what Think and Grin has this month??

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> Ted Cassidy in a pink angora sweater? I'll wiki Nat Busby. Working with you is a little like conversing with a blind date with a delightfully overactive imagination. Have I ever told you yet of my date with a guy with a 14" beard? Looked like ZZ Top. I tried to pretend it wasn't there. You think I'm making this up, don't you? Regrettably, no. Why did I bring this up? Oh yeah, he asked me what was the meaning of a bumper sticker saying, *Who is John Galt?* It will go down as a very strange evening, Ended early, blessedly.

Well, it wouldn't be necessary to go with an angora sweater, more the feel of that movie.

I believe you. One of those truth is...So girls aren't always crazy about a sharp-dressed

man? That's the first time I've ever connected ZZ Top with Ayndy Randy! They don't

deserve that, no way.

> The best movies do just that. That deep bass voice over the radio. Oh, rapture..

And just wait till he starts jamming on that harpsichord. Awesome.

I'm going to go watch the Big Ant movie. It's a neat little sci-fi film. Wow, look at

James Whitmore's uniform. Pretty darn fancy. See ya.

As St. Patrick's Day comes closer, another poem from Master Willie.

Who will go drive with Fergus now,

And pierce the deep wood's woven shade,

And dance upon the level shore?

Young man, life up your russet brow,

And life your tender eyelids, maid,

And brood on hopes and fear no more.

And no more turn aside and brood

Upon love's bitter mystery;

For Fergus rules the brazen cars,

And rules the shadows of the wood,

And the white breast of the dim sea

And all dishevelled wandering stars.

> I'm going to go watch the Big Ant movie. It's a neat little sci-fi film. Wow, look at

> James Whitmore's uniform. Pretty darn fancy. See ya.

Me, I'm holding out for Hail the Conquering Hero tomorrow.

Did you ever see Matinee ? It does a better job at those "Them" movies (there's was titled Mant! ) and it has sort of spoiled it for me, unless I can get a group together for live riffing..