• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> And Adele Mara:

>

> stpatsadelemara1-1.jpg

JackF - thanks for reminding me why I frequent this place. *Adele Mara* - how on earth did you find that photo? I think you have a future as a researcher. And, to tell the truth - I've never heard of her - may have seen her, but never heard her name. Thanks, cinemafan.

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> *...maybe ignatz mouse is nearby?* - JF

>

> Ha! Either that or the photo was taken in Belfast.

Hee hee! Oops. Should I laugh at that?

Barry Fitzgerald is the only actor to ever be nominated in both the best actor and best supporting actor category for the same role - as Father FitzGibbon in *Going My Way.* He won as best supporting actor.

I can't remember where I picked up that photo, CF. I got it last year sometime and saved it for use on St. Paddy's Day.

Adele Mara was actually Spanish American, and she worked in B pictures throughout the 40's and fifties. She was in *The Fighting Seabees* and she also appeared as Lita Acuna in *You Were Never Lovelier.*

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> It's popular at some of the pubs in Mpls/St Paul, where they serve Guinness and Harps. Most call it a black & tan. Still prefer my Bailey's and Kahlua..

mason-james.jpg

Johnny M. in better days, before his unfortunate night on the town.

Black and tan in a good sense. We ourselves.

black and tan? Don't know about that one. The Black and Tans were a paramilitary

force sent by the British to help put down the Irish nationalists in the early 1920s.

I suppose you can get away with it in the U.S.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> Come to think of it.. never mentioned in the Irish pubs, only the English ones... Thank you of saving me pretty face!

Oh I think we're far enough away in time and place that there shouldn't be too much to

worry about. Of course, after a couple of rounds, you never know...Buying a green and

orange reversible sweater might be a good idea.

I got a laugh from this bit of trivia: A couple of years ago Ben and Jerry's decided to come out

with a special flavor for St. Patrick's Day, and they decided to name it Black and Tan. Oops.

Not knowing a little history, they had to make an apology for the name. Naming a flavor after

a paramilitary unit with a very bad reputation didn't exactly jibe with their corporate culture,

to say the least.

Two masters of the fiddle - Stephane Grappelli and Frankie Gavin

Enjoy the *Kerry Dance* - an old Irish tune

WEB-IrishDance.jpg

*Children Dancing at the Crossroads*

by Trevor Fowler (19th Century)

from The National Gallery of Ireland in Dublin

Alright. I went into IE and I seem to be able to post now. Must be a Firefox problem here.

Anyway, yes Grapelli doesn't look as much like a turtle there.... I think you and I should get together for a Django jam session sometime if you love him as much as I do.... :):):) We always seem to be in synch music wise.

Those masterful images because complete

Grew in pure mind, but out of what began?

A mound of refuse or the sweepings of a street,

Old kettles, old bottles, and a broken can,

Old iron, old bones, old rags, that raving {...}

Who keeps the till. Now that my ladder's gone,

I must lie down where all the ladders start,

In the foul rag-and-bone shop of the heart.

W.B. Yeats

Edited by: TCMWebAdmin on Mar 16, 2010 8:07 AM