Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Girl of the Golden West" (1938) w/MacDonald & Eddy

I thought I was more or less familiar with all of the movies with Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy, but this one on the TCM schedule for Sunday totally didn't ring a bell - I can't remember TCM having shown it since I have been watching it regularly:

*The Girl Of The Golden West* (1938)

A frontierswoman shelters a notorious outlaw.

Cast: Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, Walter Pidgeon, Leo Carrillo Dir: Robert Z. Leonard BW-121 mins, TV-G

Is anybody else familiar with it? Is it also operetta style like the other MacDonald & Eddy films?

It's not bad but it's not the best one. I have all these in my collection (I might be missing one) and rather recall this one was kinda disappointing. Just me ... In fact, maybe it was a bad day, but I remember starting to watch it once, and just couldn't finish it. I came back later and watched the rest. Of course the singing is good. My favorite of the bunch will always be "Rosemarie" ...

The best I've seen Nelson Eddy was actually in "The Chocolate Soldier" ...

Edited by: precoder on Mar 20, 2010 9:34 PM

This was not a filmed version of the Puccini opera, It began as a play in 1905 by Belasco and later filmed twice in 1915 and 1923 as silents. An early talkie was done in 1930 without music. You can see for yourself that this wasn't the best of the lot McDonald and Eddy done but fans will never the less find something to like between the nodding out and waking up again to Jeanette's clarion voice.