Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
romanholiday25

All Time Favorite Film?

Part of the reason I haven't watched it is because while reading up on Ingrid Bergman, I learned that she despised it. She was very upset that the film received so much attention over her other efforts in the cinema. She felt she had done much better work and wanted to be remembered for other films, not CASABLANCA. So partly out of respect to her, I don't watch it. I don't want to get caught up in the tide of people who think it's so great that it undermines the other accomplishments of its cast and crew.

That's another reason I don't watch too many of Billy Wilder's films. I feel like there's all this hype that surrounds them and it comes at the expense of lesser known, but infinitely greater works.

I am sure CASABLANCA is highly entertaining and I wouldn't regret the time spent watching it...but I really have to push myself to see STROMBOLI and AUTUMN SONATA first.

In all honesty, stars are never the best judges of their own work. I don't think she hated the film, she just didn't want to *only* be remembered for it.

Also, I've seen tons of Ingrid movies, so Casablanca is not the only thing I'm going to remember her for, but to me it is the role of hers I'll remember the most. It's just natural and I don't think that it gives me less appreciation for her work as a whole. She has lots of performances and films that I like.

Any other kind of thinking only applies to people who don't watch classic films in general, and will only know Bogie and Bergman for Casablanca, and Gable for Gone with the Wind, and Brando for the Godfather.

This should not be the reason to hold you back from watching Casablanca. If you watch lots of classic films, than there's nothing to worry about in that regard.

> {quote:title=JefCostello wrote:}{quote}

> In all honesty, stars are never the best judges of their own work. I don't think she hated the film, she just didn't want to *only* be remembered for it.

>

I think that does make sense, she probably wanted some acknowledgment for all of her work, not just for the 1 or 2 movies that became the most popular.

Personally I really do think she made her very best work with Hitchcock and in Casablanca, but that does not mean I won't try and watch as many of her other films as I can.

ITA on working with Hitchcock and this movie. Even though her character is usually the same, she comes across as a different type of person because of the way she acted. If you look at her performance in Notorious, she's not as desperate as in Casablanca, but essentially her character is kinda similar.

I think there's a bias in favor of Ingrid's Hollywood efforts, and she was really an international film star in the true sense of the word, since she had made films in several countries and languages.

It is definitely ignorant of Americans to say CASABLANCA or SPELLBOUND is her best when they have not seen STROMBOLI or the slew of films she made with Rossellini. Just as it is ignorant for Italians who have only seen those films to say STROMBOLI is her best without having seen CASABLANCA and comparing it or examining her technique in each one. (We also need to look at her films from the 30s in Sweden.)

I really have a feeling I will never watch CASABLANCA. I can keep finding other films to fill that 102 minutes of my life.

Favorite film indicates a personal, emotional, sentimental attachment.

Best film may not be a sentimental favorite. It could just be a technically good film that even people who dislike it have to concede is an effective piece of cinema.

2001 is definitely not one of my favorite films. But for the era in which it was made, it was probably the best film made that year and for quite a few years afterward. It took cinema in bold new directions.

Ingrid's E X A C T quote about CASABLANCA:

*"I made so many films which were more important, but the only one people ever want to talk about is that one."*

Of course, there will be 'spin' and re-interpretation of it, but Ingrid and I both know what she meant... :)

> {quote:title=Sprocket_Man wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > Well, favorite film is an easier question to answer than best film, but I can't narrow it past three...

>

> Exactly, because they're not remotely the same thing.

I thought my statement made it obvious I knew that...

> {quote:title=JarrodMcDonald wrote:}{quote}

> I think there's a bias in favor of Ingrid's Hollywood efforts, and she was really an international film star in the true sense of the word, since she had made films in several countries and languages.

>

> It is definitely ignorant of Americans to say CASABLANCA or SPELLBOUND is her best when they have not seen STROMBOLI or the slew of films she made with Rossellini. Just as it is ignorant for Italians who have only seen those films to say STROMBOLI is her best without having seen CASABLANCA and comparing it or examining her technique in each one. (We also need to look at her films from the 30s in Sweden.)

>

> I really have a feeling I will never watch CASABLANCA. I can keep finding other films to fill that 102 minutes of my life.

While I quite agree that to properly evaluate her work, one must have seen much of it, I HAVE seen *Stromboli*, and found it exceedingly dull. Of what I have seen of her work, I would say my favorite performance of hers was in *Spellbound*. But, it is also necessary to see *Casablanca* to properly evaluate her work...

I have become so turned off to CASABLANCA in this thread that I think I will either a) burn my copy of it without watching it; B) donate it to the Salvation Army; or c) accidentally on purpose drop it in a pot of scalding water.

I am going to go with Ingrid's assessment that she made more important films, and I will make sure I find and watch those. CASABLANCA is now out for me. LOL

Really? I thought Stromboli was a gorgeous film.

She was good in it, but I admittedly spent most of the movie ogling over Rossellini's photography and location shooting.

She was good in Europa '51 as well.

Yeah, I realize that *Stromboli* is well-thought of, but I found it plodding. I did like *Europa 51* better. As far as Rossellini's work goes, I don't think either of these films are even in the same ball park with *Open City*, and *Paisan*.

> {quote:title=JarrodMcDonald wrote:}{quote}

> I have become so turned off to CASABLANCA in this thread that I think I will either a) burn my copy of it without watching it; B) donate it to the Salvation Army; or c) accidentally on purpose drop it in a pot of scalding water.

>

> I am going to go with Ingrid's assessment that she made more important films, and I will make sure I find and watch those. CASABLANCA is now out for me. LOL

Ha Ha send it to me I love the film (but sadly don't have my own copy). That being said if you ever do watch it I would try not to get your expectations too high. Whenever someone acts like something is the best thing ever you are bound to be disappointed. I love the film because I feel it's just a mixture of the right ingredients but it's not my favorite Bogart or Bergman film (it might be my favorite Curtiz film though).

As for Bergman's best Hollywood film for me it is *Notorious*. And I would love to see all the films she did with Rossellini but no one has seen fit to release them here (although I am hoping that will change now that Criterion has released Rossellini's war trilogy)

ValentineXavier,

I think you may be 'faking us out.' I sincerely disbelieve that you have seen any of Ingrid's Italian films lately. It is too easy, way too-too easy to just mention the ones Rossellini is more commonly known for, without going into specifics about STROMBOLI and EUROPA 51. You need to cite specific examples as to what you found 'plodding' about them, or else one may logically assume you have not seen these films recently or else not entirely.

Edited by: JarrodMcDonald on Mar 21, 2010 9:12 PM

Kinokima,

I think I bought it at Target for about $15. They had LIFEBOAT for $10 on the day I bought CASABLANCA, and I wish to Hades I had bought LIFEBOAT instead. One of my former professors does the audio commentary on LIFEBOAT. So that was a mistake...especially, since I love Tallu.

It is true I have seen *Paisan* and *Open City* more recently, and more often, than *Stromboli* and *Europa 51*. I think I have only seen the latter two once, within the last 5-10 years. What I found so plodding about Stromboli was Ingrid's angst, indecision, and the crawling (or so it seemed to me) across the volcano. I found it dull, and contrived.

I was predisposed to like *Stromboli*, because I had heard it was good. I might watch it again some day, given the chance. I don't remember *Europa 51* very well, but vaguely remember liking it, and it being almost a thriller, with a social conscience. I'd like to see it again.

In addition to STROMBOLI and EUROPA 51, she also made these with Rossellini:

SIAMO DONNE (Italian dialogue)

GIOVANNA D'ARCO AL ROGO (Italian dialogue)

VIAGGIO IN ITALIA (English dialogue)

LA PAURA (German and Italian versions)

I don't believe I've seen any of those, but *La Paura* sounds particularly interesting to me.

Looking at the IMDb, I believe I have seen 14 or 15 of Ingrid's films. I didn't claim to be an expert on her...

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Mar 22, 2010 1:13 AM

LA PAURA does look interesting...very Hitchcockian. Supposedly, Isabella Rossellini is trying to acquire the rights to it in order to restore it and re-release it. (Perhaps she has some 'lost footage' of her father's to add to it.)

I also like the idea of SIAMO DONNE...how they followed several well-known actresses and documented an episode of what was going on in their lives...seems like an early cinema verite...like what today we would see on a reality TV show. I'd love to view a copy of it.