Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sept. Star of the Month: Myrna Loy!

I glad September is only a few days away because i can't wait to see Myrna Loy's movies all month! I have only seen a handful of her movies (Best Years of Our Lives, Libeled Lady, The Thin Man, The Bachelor and the Bobby-soxer) and have really enjoyed her in them. It will be nice to see Myrna in her "bad girl" roles for a change. All I've ever seen of her is the motherly or good wife roles. I'm going to need a lot of recording tapes for this month! I am especially excited to see a few of her earlier films such as Emma, Thirteen Women, The Mask of Fu Manchu, The Squall, The Naughty Flirt, and the Myrna Loy program, So Nice to Come Home. So, I was wondering, (yes i have a point to all this babbling!) What are you excited to see of Myrna's this coming month?

I love Myrna Loy's movies. She was so great in comedies and dramas alike. I have already seen The Animal Kingdom, but I am really really looking forward to seeing some of her other pre-codes, especially Thirteen Women with Irene Dunne! I love all her movies. She is just totally awesome!

Emma circa (1932) i've seen b4 N i quite Enjoyed it! :) N actually the REAL Reason i watched it waz cuz it's 1 of Mickey Rooney! he's got a cameo i think in it? but yea that's the ONLY reason i watched it N that waz b4 i discovered her though! :) N as 4 Fu Manchu that's i believe her Last Role as a Villian i believe? also the movie movie that i fell in luv width her waz "THE THIN MAN" circa (1934) it waz a few years ago when TCM had played ALL of the

"THIN MAN" Movies back 2 back! N the REAL reason i watched those waz 2 reasons 1 waz Curosity N the 2nd waz oN how "James Stewart" waz N the 2nd 1 i believe? 1 MORE thing has anyone heard of the site Silent Era: The Silent Film Website. i found that site actually quite by accident N it says that Myrna Loy has i think it's either 7 oR 8 movise that are considered "LOST" :( used 2 be i think 9 but they found 1 but i 4 get which 1? it waz 1 of her silents i believe? anywys i've ALSO rambled on 2 MUCH i'm sorry about THAT 2. :)

I'm so excited for Myrna Loy on tcm! I love her in all of her movies. She had a wonderful voice and delivered lines greatly. Her looks didn't hurt either. I love Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer. Shirley Temple (sorry to get off topic), Susan, is definately a teenager.. "Susan, you are his first student to ever define a triangle as two women in love with one man" Keith - You are on to something.

I figure I should share a quote with you, one of my favorites.

"I never met a man who didn't want to marry Myrna Loy." - Jimmy Stewart

I would say that when Rita Hayworth was a star she was admired all over the country including in the midwest, which I'm sure she appreciated.

However I don't believe she would appreciate the juvenile behavior of one of her so called fans on these boards.

Straighten up and fly right, and don't dare put the blame on Mame.

Mongo

I think she did definitely make a great impact on Hollywood. At one time, in the mid-1930's, she and Clark Gable were the queen and king of Hollywood! The Thin Man films were very popular, after all. Maybe historians don't rate her as being legendary, like Garbo or Dietrich, but she was quite a star at that time!

Myrna Loy was one of the greatest Hollywood stars of all time, debuting in 1924-1925...she made more than 100? films....amnong them, landmark stuff like "The Thin Man", "Libeled Lady", "The Best Years of Our Lives ", "From the Terrace", "When Ladies Meet", "The Animal Kingdom", "Cheaper By The Dozen", "Penthouse", "Mr. Blandings Build his Dreamhouse", "Arrowsmith", "Love Crazy", "Broadway Bill".....She's a myth!

Okay, Hayworth, I understand that Myrna Loy may not be your cup of tea. I like Rita Hayworth too. I think that Ms. Hayworth was a lovely woman and dancer who shone brightly in Gilda, Blood and Sand, Lady From Shanghai and some other enjoyable movies. Most of Ms. Hayworth's films were with Columbia Studios as well and TCM only has the rights to show a few of them. I believe that Ms. Hayworth was also the Star of the Month within the last year. In terms of her career, unfortunately, for alot of reasons--especially her struggle with undiagnosed Alzheimer's disease--Rita Hayworth was not able to have as long a career as might have been. Yet let's not allow that to cloud our appreciation of Myrna Loy. I'm going to assume that you're merely unaware of Loy's credentials. If you're interested in a few facts, please read on...

Miss Loy acted in movies from 1925 until shortly before her death in 1993. She played everything from the exotic Asian daughter of Fu Manchu to the sophisticated and chic Nora Charles to a rancher's wife to an alcoholic. Her range, intelligence, good humor and grace made her a box office champion. She was named Queen of Hollywood by filmgoers in 1936. She was in more legendary classic movies than almost any other actress: The Thin Man, Best Years of Our Lives, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, The Red Pony, among others!.

And don't get me started about her off screen work--the lady raised millions for the Red Cross, WWII war bonds, worked tirelessly against racial discrimination, assisted in Unicef worldwide, and she received a Kennedy Honor in 1988, (they don't give those out in a box of cracker jacks, ya know). She also wrote a candid yet discreet autobiography that I recommend to anyone who wants a clear-eyed view of what it was like to work in the dream factory called Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming.

Personally, I've always been attracted to her characterizations because she imbued them with the wit and intelligence of a warm assurance that she was an affectionate, equal partner with any man. While she wasn't perhaps conventionally beautiful, her lovely profile, (oh, that upturned nose), and the sense of style that she managed, whether wearing a gossamer cocktail dress designed by Irene or a cotton housedress from Sears, help to make her quite memorable, as well.

Believe me, she deserves to be a Star of the Month.

I'm damn excited about Loy having a month all to her own...there's oodles of pre-codes to choose from!

The one movie I would recommend watching is Penthouse with Warner Baxter, with a great supporting performance by Nat Pendleton.

Viva la Loy!

Thanks, Moira! I knew that someone here would come along with an intelligently written bio. for Myrna Loy, and even thought that it would be you, because you so frequently take the time to do this for us. We are very proud of Myrna Loy here in Montana, and Coop too, of course. Next month with TCM will be a grand month for me! :)ML

There could BE no other Nora Charles than Myrna Loy!

The way she held that martini glass (before they 'cleaned' up their act), the way she said 'Nicky', the way she wore her clothes...oh, those clothes...the way she played to Nick's co-horts........sigh, there will always be only one Nora Charles for me.

And only one Mrs. Blandings, for that matter.

She is an icon. She was talented, gorgeous, smart, and communicated strength, independence, and diversity without being sappy, vulnerable, or pompous.

I hold Myrna Loy in the same stead as Carole Lombard, Jean Arthur and Mary Astor. Versatile, intelligent actresses who were flexible and made me, the viewer, BELIEVE them in their part.

What more could one ask for?

• 1 month later...

I just read something about Myrna Loy not being worthy of a month devoted to her. She was one of the top stars. As fairiegoth524 mentioned, she was even QUEEN of Hollywood in 1938(not sure of year) with Clark Gable! Just being Queen to his King shows how legendary she is! She played in so many great movies (The Thin Man and The Best Years of Our Lives, and many more). She had a lengthy career and worked with so many great actors that I can't see how she can been seen as not influential. She was definetely a talented and MAJOR star.