Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

Highway Patrol is one of my all time favorites, we talked about it sometime ago on another thread about Dragnet. I first saw it in the 60s as reruns. A few years ago bought a "bootleg" DVD set of the whole series, quality fair to good. I wish the shows were being broadcast today and a proper dvd set released, great show. 21-50 bye, 10-4.

Edited by: mrroberts on Apr 3, 2010 4:44 PM

"Racket Squad" was a series starring Reed Hadley as Capt. James Braddock. They investigated con and bunko artist. People who scammed the public.

The opening was a police dispatcher sitting at a police switch board answering "Rrrrrrracket Squad"

It aired from 1950 to 53.....

That's exactly it. Thank you, Fred.

Do you (or you Miss Goddess) remember Reed Hadley's brief appearance in "LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN"? He played the doctor that Gene Tierney went to when she tried to get him to agree

with her that her teenage brother-in-law NOT stay with her.

Hadley had a great radio announcer's voice and he was quite attractive too.

CeneMaven and fedbaetz: ?Remember folks: there are people who will slap you on the back with one hand and pick your pocket with the other. It could happen to you?. Reed Hadley/Capt. Braddock?s advice at the end of each Racket Squad episode. And I still remember the theme music at the end.

Scsu1975: what is hulu? Ten-four!

Reed Hadley has a really terrific bass voice. He did many V/O for films like "Call Northside 777", "Boomerang" among others and documentaries . He was the original "Red Ryder" on radio. Nany many fil credits, "I Shot Jesse James" 'Guadalcanal Diary" as Richard Tregaskis the reported who covered the assault and wrote the book, yes he was Dr. Mason in LHTH., 2 TV series "Racket Squad" and "Public Defender". Sadly he died of a heart attack at age 63.....

Talk to the Snail

Been there, done that, wrote a book about it, had it made into a sitcom, and Dick Van Dyke played me! :-)

(PS, cool thread, little lady. I see I have a lot of reading to do!) :-)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Talk to the Snail

>

> Been there, done that, wrote a book about it, had it made into a sitcom, and Dick Van Dyke played me! :-)

>

> (PS, cool thread, little lady. I see I have a lot of reading to do!) :-)

And Jellybean will be reading and following everything you write, too! Isn't

that a comfort? :D

Listen, I don't know about you...but I don't appreciate the snarkiness about JellyBean. I have now changed my opinion on him. He's really not so bad, he follows me religiously. It's a comfort to know he's always there. Actually, I...think...I...yup...I...love him!!!! It's a comfort to know that he knows everything I wr...

OMG!!!!!!!!! I'm suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. HELP!!!!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Listen, I don't know about you...but I don't appreciate the snarkiness about JellyBean. I have now changed my opinion on him. He's really not so bad, he follows me religiously.

I didn't know he was religious, too! What a paragon.

>

> OMG!!!!!!!!! I'm suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. HELP!!!!

* Make an appointment with Dr. Bronxie

* Look at these pictures: http://thedailykitten.com/kitten/737/

* Listen to Bob, Doris and Bing: http://www.radiolovers.com/shows/B/BobHopeShow/BobHopeShow500321WithBingCrosby.mp3

Well, I took your prescription and I feel a whole lot better. (Bob & Bing's timing was impeccable, wasn't it?) Now, to make an appointment with Dr. Bronxie.

Gee, I hope she's a whole lot gentler than Lillith in "Nightmare Alley." Ummmm, isn't she?

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Honey West is a show I wish some station would show. Now I believe I love the show but I hadn't see it for years and maybe I believe I love it only because of my teen crush for Anne Francis (that mole really got me!).

>

> But the show was only one for two seasons (or was it only one?), and thus it makes me wonder how good the show really was. The plot or acting wouldn't of matter to me back then!

I'm old enough to have seen Honey West when it was originally broadcast. As a teenage boy, it was a favorite of mine. So, I'm going to impose on folks, and tell a Honey West joke from the period...

Honey West walked into the room. She had two 45s pointing at me. Then she drew her gun... :)

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Well, I took your prescription and I feel a whole lot better. (Bob & Bing's timing was impeccable, wasn't it?) Now, to make an appointment with Dr. Bronxie.

>

> Gee, I hope she's a whole lot gentler than Lillith in "Nightmare Alley." Ummmm, isn't she?

She straightened me out! :D

(But FrankGrimes is still a work-in-progress).

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I think Bing singing *My Foolish Heart* lowers blood pressure. He's so relaxing. I am keeping this clip forever - it's good for what ails you.

Jackie/CineMaven---- those radio programs have single handedly turned me into a radio show

junkie. I now have to listen to them in the mornings...they get me laughing (a heretofore impossibility in the mornings for me!) and put me in a good mood, plus it's better than TV since I don't have to worry about having to see what's happening. I'm going to get a new mp3 player eventually that is big enough to load several shows on listen to when I go walking in the city.

Bob and Bing's silliness just cracks me up. The jokes about their age and how the Road movies will soon have to be all "downhill" are hilarious. It's also fun trying to figure out the topical references to current events back then.

Thank you SO much for the link to the radiolovers.

I am totally jumping on the bandwagon as far as radio shows are concerned - they are very good to listen to as you do other things and very calming compared to TV, especially if you have jittery nerves or problems with eyesight.

Did you know Mad Hat had his own ballroom back in the day? :)

http://www.radiolovers.com/shows/B/BennyGoodman/BennyGoodman37-11-04MadhattanRoom.mp3

"Laugh-In" was a favorite back in its original run. For its time it was edgy and new and downright silly which I thought was part of its appeal. it doesn't hold up as well because the humor was so topical but if you are old enough there might be some nostalgia in it for you.

They did have a gift for getting old movies stars on it. Greer Garson even showed up.