Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

Carson was a treasure. He was one of the fastest minds on television. One of the my favorite memories of the Tonight Show was a Carnak bit that was funny by itself but it so tickled my brother that he couldn't stop laughing. Of course this made us laugh harder and soon we were just out of control.

Answer: SIs Boom Bah.

Question: Would sound does a sheep make when it explodes?

It just struck him the right way and he was done for the night.

HA!! I've had moments like that, Chris, that just get your funny bone and won't let go

till the tears are streaming you're laughing so hard. Johnny supplied us with a good

many of those.

You're right about his quickness, so many of his funniest moments were from his

reactions to the unexpected.

I watched "The Tonight Show" as a kid in high school (again, having to use surreptitious methods b'cuz my bedtime was 11:00pm). Back then on "talk" shows, people talked. They sat on Johnny's couch (book-ended by Johnny on one side and big ol' Ed MacMahon on the other). I particularly remember Broadway actress Phyllis Newman. Now, I don't know why Phyllis Newman sticks out in my head, but she does. "The Tonight Show" was filmed in New York where all the sophisticated people were. I always thought she was pretty (like Suzanne Pleshette) with dark beauty and a ri-bald sense of humor. She could really make Johnny laugh. (Ed laughed at everything so I could not quite judge by him). She had a sexy laugh herself.

Each guest wouldn't make their pitch and then scamper off into the wings of the night. And when one guest finished, the next guest was introduced and the next and they would all sit there and have a...c - o - n - v - e - r - s - a - t - i - o - n. (Remember those??) Sometimes as a kid, I didn't get the jokes, but I could hear my parents laughing out in the living room, because they had on Johnny out there on the "big tv."

...And when Johnny announced the show was going out to California...BOO!!!! :-( But then I realized even MORE movie stars could come on his show. YAY!!! :-)

Now, everyone and his MOTHER has a talk show. Ugh!! They should just call it "The Pitch Your Current Project Show." Or there's reality television. Remember what Robert O said about that at last year's Fan Guest Programmer event cocktail party.

Sigh! Television has not been the same since Johnny left. Conversation has not been the same either.

My favorite Tonight Show didn't have Johnny Carson hosting that night. It was when Don Rickles was guest hosting for Johnny. Out of nowhere Bob Hope comes out of the curtain and everyone starts to applause and I start smiling, then out comes Bing Crosby, the applause gets louder and I start laughing, and then... out comes John Wayne and I had tears dropping like the Niagara Falls. What a moment that was for me.

> {quote:title=stevec86 wrote:}{quote}

> My favorite Tonight Show didn't have Johnny Carson hosting that night. It was when Don Rickles was guest hosting for Johnny. Out of nowhere Bob Hope comes out of the curtain and everyone starts to applause and I start smiling, then out comes Bing Crosby, the applause gets louder and I start laughing, and then... out comes John Wayne and I had tears dropping like the Niagara Falls. What a moment that was for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgTtlLo6y7Y

Oh you two are killing me! I could cry seeing that clip...I never saw it before. I couldn't put the sound up but I watched it here at work. Bless those guys....I miss them. Wow, did Johnny know those three were going to show up in his absence? :D

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> >

> That's adorable, Jackie. I was never a fan of Red, but you make me want revisit his work. I always thought he was ENORMOUSLY talented and even felt he could have essayed a dramatic role really well...did he ever?

He was in a remake of The Champ called The Clown and Tim Considine played the Jackie Cooper role. While he played a comic entertainer, it's every bit as sad as The Champ. He also played in a film where he's married to Jean Hagen and they move to the suburbs. It's kind of serious comedy, where they are struggling to make ends meet and keeping up with the Joneses. I can't remember the name of it though.

ETA: It's called Half a Hero.

Edited by: helenbaby on Apr 9, 2010 2:04 PM

Hi helenbaby,

I've seen that suburbian comedy/drama with Jean...can't recall the name either. I remember something about the "community chest" in the plot and thinking how quaint that concept was. The Clown sounds interesting....I can picture Skelton in such a role.

Wasn't he brilliant, wouldbestar? I'm curious as to his timeslot, because I can still see most of the show in my head -- the Nairobi Trio (I can hear the music), Percy Dovetonsils, and the silent pieces where he drew a hook on a wall with a piece of chalk and hung up his coat.

He was ahead of his time, of course. He was clever, sarcastic, sardonic, and inventive. I too remember the news of his car crash and how it affected me.

As Cinemaven said, they do NOT make shows like that anymore. I doubt they ever will again.

A favorite Carson of mine was George Gobels sitting with Dean Martin and Bob Hope. This became a classic moment, and I can still remember how much I laughed when it first played:

http://www.iviewtube.com/videos/117415/george-gobel-dean-martin-bob-hope-(tonight-show-johnny-carson-1969-video)

>

> A favorite Carson of mine was George Gobels sitting with Dean Martin and Bob Hope. This became a classic moment, and I can still remember how much I laughed when it first played:

>

> http://www.iviewtube.com/videos/117415/george-gobel-dean-martin-bob-hope-(tonight-show-johnny-carson-1969-video)

Oh gosh that was HILARIOUS!! So that's where the line "Did you ever get the feeling

the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?" came from.

I was laughing so loud my neighbors must be sick. I haven't seen many early Carsons

like that....brilliant. I'm not familiar with George Gobels, either. He was funny! I love the

way they jump from subject to subject, from dogs to fighter pilots and I about busted

when he said he fought out the war in Oklahoma!

Dean was so naughty. Thanks much for that clip, it was brilliant.

My earliest TV memories are when I was around 5 years old, Jack Parr was still the Tonight Show host. My Dad was somewhat of an insomniac, he would watch Parr especially when Jack would show film of his trips aboard, like going on African safaris. I would wake up and sneak to the top of the stairs where I could look down at the TV in the living room. Sometimes Dad would scold me, send me back to bed, sometimes tell me to come down and I could watch with him. Then we would either fall asleep or Mom would wake up and come down stairs giving us both you know what. Later on I got to watch Johnny Carson, so I grew up with Carson from his earliest shows. Yes I still miss Johnny Carson, and still have a bad habit of staying up late, thanks a lot Johnny.

Edited by: mrroberts on Apr 9, 2010 7:10 PM

One time Carson had a kid on his show - maybe 10 years old or so. Carson asked him if he'd ever seen the show, and the kid said "well, sometimes if I was up late, like I was throwing up, stuff like that."

You're welcome, MissGoddess. It was long, but wasn't it a fun clip? Yes, I love when he said that and sometimes quote that line as I quote Ralph Kramden. Didn't you love the line about no Japanese bombers in Tulsa?

Yes, Gobels was very dry and very funny. The entertainers of old (it's amazing how many good ones there were) were very, very good, because they usually were very, very trained, polished, and learned at the school of hard knocks. They didn't get instant stardom and instant millions like many of the hacks of today. Today there is no vaudeville to beat the you-know-what out of a fledgling entertainer, ensure that the talent rises to the top, and that the talent-less (so rewarded today) are sent packing. There were clunkers, sure, but for the most part, early television, Ed Sullivan and Johnny had lots of talented folks to choose from.

scsu1975, I remember that as if it were yesterday. My mother and I used to watch the entire 90 minute (and later 60 minute) show together, and I still got up on time for school! Ah, youth. :)

The way those guys, like Benny and Carson and Burns, could just turn and LOOK at the audience and you'd be in hysterics for five minutes...... I miss them.

One of my earliest memories is of a skit Carol Burnett did on a special with Garry Moore. I don't really remember it well, but there was a baby carriage in it that Carol was taking care of. I recommend the Garry Moore show for some good entertainment.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Well, I took your prescription and I feel a whole lot better. (Bob & Bing's timing was impeccable, wasn't it?) Now, to make an appointment with Dr. Bronxie.

>

> Gee, I hope she's a whole lot gentler than Lillith in "Nightmare Alley." Ummmm, isn't she?

Pay no attention to that recording device as I delve deep into your psyche.

I hope this will be acceptable for the boards, but, this is my favorite Jimmy Stewart appearance on Johnny Carson. Just as soon as Jimmy says "glass", LOL, you know what's coming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSGHUZKf5YQ