Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Don't you just love it?

>

It's priceless. And for it to be Jimmy Stewart of all people makes it twice as funny.

> Jimmy did another one like that, about a certain "Hotel in Hunan" (China) but for the life of me I can't find it on YouTube.

I don't remember that one but I do remember his frequent poems and I remember him telling Johnny he liked to turn off his hearing aid at dull parties and just smile and nod a lot to the bores. I thought that was so amusing.

I remember Stewart reading his poems on the Tonight Show as well. I remember one about his dog Bo that was really sad. I bought this huge Carson set a while back and it has a lot of great clips, plus the full episode where Bob, Dean and George are on.

Talk shows have really gone down hill since Carson. I was too young for Paar but I have a few of his dvds and am struck by how much more intelligent the conversation was back then, and the guests were hilarious without going in the gutter. I've been watching some of those old Dean Martin Roasts on youtube and and I'm in a constant state of laughter. Everything has been dumbed down these days on television talk shows.

Another show I remember watching, (because I was an insomniac even as a kid) is the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder. Now Tom was often lampooned in his day, but looking back that show was really interesting. It came on at 1:00am. He had a whole hour to talk to a guest or group, so they could really get somewhat in depth with the subject. People would also let there guard down an speak more frankly then they would somewhere else.

He did controversial and serious stuff, but he also had lighter programs. I remember he reunited several of the cast members of the original Star Trek back in the days when many were hoping that show would be brought back. He also had the original cast of Saturday Night Live on, as well as a show with just Gilda. He also had Jack Kirby and Stan Lee on. I also remember a reunion of The Mickey Mouse Club. I was just a kid but I really enjoyed that show, particularly because it was on so late. :)

> {quote:title=sineaste wrote:}{quote}

> Ummm...the name is Gobel, Lonesome George Gobel. He never came close to getting

> a Ph.D in German Drama.

George Gobel had his own show, which was a favorite of mine when I was a little kid. I still remember a joke he told that I liked. George said that his dog would chase cars, and that when he caught one, he would dig a hole in the back yard and bury it. He said that the next time the dog caught a car, they were going to stop him before he threw the car in the hole, so they could build a swimming pool in it.

I was a TV kid, and got my own TV for Xmas when I was about 6. That was unusual back in the 50s. My favorite kids' shows were Rin Tin Tin and Winky Dink. I also liked adults' shows, like Highway Patrol, Groucho's You Bet Your Life, Our Miss Brooks, Waterfront with Preston Foster, Dragnet, Science Fiction Theater, and a few westerns, like The Cisco Kid, and The Lone Ranger.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Don't you just love it?

> >

>

> It's priceless. And for it to be Jimmy Stewart of all people makes it twice as funny.

Yeah. If someone like Harvey Keitel recited that, it would be very frightening.

>

>

> > Jimmy did another one like that, about a certain "Hotel in Hunan" (China) but for the life of me I can't find it on YouTube.

>

> I don't remember that one but I do remember his frequent poems and I remember him telling Johnny he liked to turn off his hearing aid at dull parties and just smile and nod a lot to the bores. I thought that was so amusing.

HAHA! That is funny.

Now I DO remember seeing the "Beau" poem recitation...whether it was "live" or in some retrospective clip I can't say. I always marvel to see stars of his magnitude in talk shows. I guess that goes to show how much I sort of put them "up there" (I shouldn't) that it's kind of a little awe inspiring to see them just sitting and shooting the breeze. I can't imagine Vivien Leigh on a talk show, or Greta Garbo. Or Clark Gable. Weird.

And I couldn't agree more about the content and sophistication of the discussions, compared to what passes for "talk" now. Blah! I'm amazed how articulate everyone was, no matter what their level of formal education. They spoke clearly and spoke their own minds more than now. It made for a great mix, variety. Real variety. Seeing John Wayne was going to be different from seeing Henry Fonda or Debbie Reynolds. Sigh.

Tom Snyder is yet another show I never heard of. I only heard of John Snyder. What a come down! :D

I did watch The Mickey Mouse Club on occasion. I still remember the song. :)

> Here's a sample of the best t.v. teacher ever: Miss Frances from Ding Dong School. I was just a tyke, but I do remember her

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxRuvS9_8qg

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arUL1QrIt94

>

That was so adorable. You know, had I watched that as a kid she would have had me when she wheeled in the crib with the dollies. I would have been hooked. What a sweet, soothing voice and manner. She does remind me of a couple of teachers I had in grade school that I adored. Some people just seem to be born teachers, and this woman has that quality.

> My favorite art teacher: Jon Gnagy! His beard made him look a bit like Satan, however.

>

>

I learned more watching that than when I watched a recent "learn to paint" show on PBS. The guy was so slow and boring and took an hour to paint a leaf. This Jon Gnagy moved quickly but was so clear to explain and demonstrate that I felt I could do it, too.

His beard made me think of Gilligan as a beatnik.

Science Fiction Theater: "Hello, I'm your host, Truman Bradley". There was one about a doctor who was trying to use the computer to analyze data so his wife and he could decide whether she should have potentially fatal heart surgery; without it she would die in a year. The thing took up an entire wall and this kind of analysis was still in the future in 1956. This is what the program did, take a kernel of truth and give a glimpse of what could evolve from it. I'd love to see some of them and find out how close to the mark they were. I'm sure the outer space stories have definitely been topped by reality but they'll show how much we've advanced in some 50 odd years.

Garry Moore was one of the most lovable men in TV history, along with sidekick and pitchman Durward Kirby. He was very laid-back and let the light shine on his panel or guests. He was the first host to wear Bermuda shorts with a shirt and tie and crew cut. Carol Burnett probably would have made it without his patronage but it sure did help. He ended his shows with "Be kind to each other and good-bye, out there!"

In addition to his morning show he hosted I've Got a Secret. On one episode, a Tennessee secretary's secret was that she worked for the Memphis Draft Board and processed Elvis' draft notice. Her accent was very strong and some of the panelists started giving her a hard time. Gallant Garry put a stop to it One year he was honored at the Emmy Awards Show and politely but firmly gave the industry hell for being cancel happy and not giving shows time to find an audience.

George Gobel resembled him in hair cut and the shorts suits, but his humor was more country influenced. He got into the sketches and banter more than Moore. Again it was all good clean fun. He tried acting on a Wagon Train episode; the melody from a song he did was used in Universal westerns saloon scenes for the next ten years.

Helenbaby: Red did a Playhouse 90 show with Shirley Jones where he played a silent comic with a sad life who gets led astray by a trampy Shirley. She has said that led to her Lulu Baines role in Elmer Gantry and her Oscar. It was a Red I?d never seen and I was impressed. Maybe somebody knows the show I?m talking about.

Wow! This has not been one of my better days. I watched Judgment at Nuremberg and was just checking the board before crashing. You?ve all opened the memory bank-and how-and I feel fine. Thanks a lot!

*Tom Snyder is yet another show I never heard of. I only heard of John Snyder. What a come down! :D*

John Snyder was on *The Dukes of Hazzard* right?

Tom Snyder's *Tomorrow* show used to follow Carson's *Tonight Show* back when that show ran until 1:00am. Snyder had a distinctive style and laugh and Dan Aykroyd used to do an impersonation of him on Saturday Night Live that was pretty funny. When the *Tonight Show* was shortened to an hour in 1980, Snyder continued to follow him but the show was revamped and Rona Barrett was brought in as a co-host. Tom hated all of this and the feud with Rona was a big story at the time. The show did not survive in that format for long and that's when David Letterman was brought in with his show to follow Carson.

Not that you asked! :D I just thought that was interesting.

I remember the *The Mickey Mouse Club* in reruns. We used to watch Spin and Marty and The Hardy Boys with Tim Considine (who was on both shows) and Tommy Kirk. I think there was another serial on that show that featured Annette, but I can't remember it.

Edited by: molo14 on Apr 11, 2010 1:17 AM

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> Okay it's the middle of the night and now you got me searching youtube for more clips of Miss Frances and the Ding Dong School!

I can't think of anything more comforting in the middle of the night than watching Miss Frances! As Miss Goddess astutely notes, she was indeed a born teacher. You'll sleep like a baby when you do hit the hay.

Ha -- that Kiddie A Go-Go clip was so cute, lol! I don't know the year it was on but I think I can safely say I was already quite long in the tooth.

> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_z6i7cQS0

>

> "Show him a witch's LUV! Get what you PAID for!"

>

> Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!

I didn't like the jolt of that other eppy, the one with puny Howard Morris and the fast-talking cigar-chomping genie. I don't think I've ever seen it, though.

> Remember Spin and Marty on Walt Disney? I always loved the Triple R song. Here it is: (unfortunately you have to endure the voice of the schlubby owner, who sounds majorly depressed, as if he hasn't had a date in 15 years)

>

> EVERYBODY GATHER ROUND THE FIRE AND SING!

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3rx1fSyhE

Yes I mentioned them earlier. That's such a catchy song. I like the wind down at the end. A two parter too. You get your money's worth with that 45.

> > My favorite art teacher: Jon Gnagy! His beard made him look a bit like Satan, however.

> >

> >

>

> I learned more watching that than when I watched a recent "learn to paint" show on PBS. The guy was so slow and boring and took an hour to paint a leaf. This Jon Gnagy moved quickly but was so clear to explain and demonstrate that I felt I could do it, too.

Is that PBS show "The Joy of Painting", with Bob Ross? The guy who doesn't talk, but whispers? I always turn him on Saturday afternoons when I want to take a little nap. As soon as he opens his pie hole, I'm in dreamland.

Jon Gnagy always wore that plaid shirt.

I had a bit of a crush on him, because he looked like Bela Lugosi with the goatee in THE INVISIBLE RAY:

4328119644_0ac75c92ed.jpg

>

> His beard made me think of Gilligan as a beatnik.

Ha! Maynard G. Krebbs -- scarier than the Devil.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Apr 11, 2010 3:24 AM

Oops, I didn't realize you mentioned Spin and Marty previously.

To this day, I long to be a young pre-teen BOY living on a ranch like that full-time, and having a British butler and Chinese cook tend to me.

I think the doctor needs a doctor....

> > Here's a sample of the best t.v. teacher ever: Miss Frances from Ding Dong School. I was just a tyke, but I do remember her

> >

> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxRuvS9_8qg

> >

> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arUL1QrIt94

> >

>

> That was so adorable. You know, had I watched that as a kid she would have had me when she wheeled in the crib with the dollies. I would have been hooked. What a sweet, soothing voice and manner. She does remind me of a couple of teachers I had in grade school that I adored. Some people just seem to be born teachers, and this woman has that quality.

I would SO love to have had Miss Frances during my formative years.

The grade-school teachers I had all looked like Walter Connelly in drag and had the dispositions of Donald Duck.