Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > His beard made me think of Gilligan as a beatnik.

>

>

>

>

> Ha! Maynard G. Krebbs -- scarier than the Devil.

>

Maynard wasn't the least bit scary. He was meek, and scared of most everything himself, especially WORK! Remember his petrified frog? His huge ball of string?

Oh boy I totally remember Tom Snyder with tthat big guffaw, mutton chops and smoking cigarettes.

"Spin and Marty." I loved them. If they would have let me, I would have loved to have been at that ranch.

"Doesn't this just want to make you put on your p.j.'s, stuff yourself with cookies and milk, shut the bedroom door and let the rest of your adult life fall by the wayside?"

Actually, I am doing that right now...except with Bacardi & coke. ...And Oreos.

Yum!

I was a Tom Snyder fan. I didn't always agree with him, but I admired his style. He was very straight forward, plain spoken, guileless. IOW, he always said exactly what he thought. One of his more memorable bits was when Meatloaf was a guest, and Tom called him "Mr. Loaf."

Back in those days, even Geraldo Rivera had a good show that was to be taken seriously... (don't laugh!) It was called Goodnight America, and was very socially conscious. One of my favorite things was when Geraldo would track down slum lords in their posh digs, shove a camera in their face, and demand answers as to why their slum apartments were in such disrepair, making life disgusting for the tenants.

>Is that PBS show "The Joy of Painting", with Bob Ross? The guy who doesn't talk, but whispers?

No mistakes just happy accidents. The thing I thought interesting is that he could make something without ever drawing anything. It was all in the brush strokes.

Such a lot of memories about when television was actually good!

I was plopped in front of Miss Frances on our b/w 13 inch and didn't budge until the show was over.

Jon Gnagy, another name I haven't heard in a long time. I also remember a children's show host who would make a requested drawing from five lines sent in by the kids in the audience.

Talk shows have really gone down hill since Carson... Everything has been dumbed down these days on television talk shows.

Haven't they though? Hasn't it though? Tom Snyder, I remember him. Wasn't John Lennon on Tom Snyder?

Too bad the cable channels don't show more old television. Every time the segment sending up This Is Your Life comes on the Sid Caesar retrospective on a pay channel, it cracks me up, without fail:

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=798&format=tv367g12&theme=guide

We've forgotten Danny Kaye!

Watching him in Hans Christian Andersen this morning brought back memories of his dancing across the stage in tights to that bouncy theme, with and without his little partner, Victoria Myrick. The show was always had his sense of fun and warmth. Its being on Wednesday nights helped get the slide downwards to the week-end off to the right start.

I remember Lonesome George a bit from The Tonight Show and later Hollywood Squares.

He was funny and kept the buzzcut alive in the intervening years before it came back again.

I always got a kick out of the late 1960's version of Dragnet. Oh brother, what a show.

As soon as somebody took their first hit on a joint, you knew there were only two ways

they were going to end up-dead or in jail. That's the city, baby.

How about Sky King on Saturday mornings? Especially his cute little niece, Penny.

She was sweet.

Valentine: Are you my pesky little brother in disguise or the fly on the living room wall when the TV was on? I'm amazed at how much vintage programing you bring up that we watched.

I remember when Geraldo exposed a facility where mentally challenged people were being housed in deplorable conditions. He became my instant hero. A friend and I decided that not finding the Capone vault didn't matter; we learned so much about and saw so many pictures of the real mob back then that that was the real treasure. It's a shame he sold out.

> {quote:title=sineaste wrote:}{quote}

> How about Sky King on Saturday mornings? Especially his cute little niece, Penny.

> She was sweet.

Oh, yes... Sky King, and his twin prop plane, the Songbird. Penny had her own plane too, as did her boy friend, but they were single engine Piper Cubs, IIRC. I can't recall their names.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> Valentine: Are you my pesky little brother in disguise or the fly on the living room wall when the TV was on? I'm amazed at how much vintage programing you bring up that we watched.

>

> I remember when Geraldo exposed a facility where mentally challenged people were being housed in deplorable conditions. He became my instant hero. A friend and I decided that not finding the Capone vault didn't matter; we learned so much about and saw so many pictures of the real mob back then that that was the real treasure. It's a shame he sold out.

Well, my sisters are all younger than I, so I guess I'm not your pesky little brother...

I played outside a lot, but also watched a lot of TV, growing up in the 50s, JHS and HS in the 60s. I liked Jack Parr, and Steve Allen. I liked Johnny Carson too, until he had Rachael Carson on, after her book Silent Spring came out. Johnny spent the whole time ridiculing her, and her environmentalism. I never watched him again. Anyone remember the George C. Scott drama, East Side, West Side, where he played a social worker? It was sort of The Naked City, but the lead didn't carry a gun.

Yeah, imagine taking Geraldo seriously... seems hard to believe now. I think he sold out long before "Al Capone's Vault."

ACK!!! Why've you featured that frightening puppet again?! Ooof! the photograph on the wall of Jellybean is really kind of scary looking Miss G. The teeth, that hair sticking up. And in motion... Ack!!

I thought puppets were supposed to be nice and sweet things like my lambykins, Lambchops. Jellybean is certainly not a nice and sweet thing. And he hits Rob too. Boo!!! BOO TO JELLY

BEAN!!! And all scary puppets. It's enuf to give kids nightmares. ...And grown-ups too.

Did I say: "ACK!!" ?

I just returned in Mr. Peabody's WABAC { pronounced way back } machine having enjoyed meeting some old friends. If you were sick there was always "Dr. Kildare" , "Ben Casey" or Dr. Conrad Steiner {Richard Boone} on "Medic". If you needed a family who understood you there was always "Father Knows Best" or "Ozzie and Harriet Nelson" and their son David and Rickey. You felt safe with Sgt. Joe Friday on "Dragnet" looking for "Just the facts Ma'am"r Capt Dan Mathews { Broderick Crawford} out on "Highway Patrol" 10-4.. Of course there were the real shows "Crusader Rabbit" with Rags the Tiger or "Rin Tin Tin" or "Fury" or "Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle". Or maybe the best of the kid shows no one remembers Paul Tripp "Mr. I. Magination". If you wanted a real western hero there was always Hoppy, Gene or Roy. also "Sgt Preston of the Yukon" along with his faithful dog King., "Tales of the Texas Rangers", "Colt .45" with Wade Preston or "The Restless Gun" with John Payne or the town to tough to die "Tombstone Territory" and father and son in "Wichita Town" Joel McCrea and son Jody { sadly it wasn't on long.. If you needed a laugh there was "Topper", "Our Miss Brooks", "December Bride" or "Meet Mr McNutley" with Ray Milland. AH the good ol' days, well more or less......

WHEW!!! Awwwwwwwwwwwww :D:D Now you see...there's a puppet I can get behind and support. All puppets need not be bad. Who can resist Buffalo Bob. Errr, I mean, Howdy Doody

...with his freckled face, red hair and gapped teeth.

Always sooooo impeccably dressed too. Is it Howdy Doody time yet?

Is it Howdy Doody time yet?

It's Howdy Doody time already?! And here I thought it was still Yooky Dooky time! Heehee!

Here are my favorites!

1) The Loretta Young Show

2) That Girl!

3) The Judy Garland Show

4) The Monkees

5) Hart to Hart

6) Golden Girls

7) I Love Lucy

8) Smothers Brothers

9) Green Acres

10) Murder, She Wrote

11) Doris Day Show

12) Mary Tyler Moore Show

13) Get smart

14) Bewitched

15) Dick Van Dyke Show

16) Father Knows Best

17) Make Room for Daddy

18) The Avengers

19) Burns and Allen

20) Big Valley

21) Alfred Hitchcock Presents

22) Carol Burnett show

23) The Lucy Show

24) Gidget

25) Perry Mason

26) Mission Impossible

27) Mork and Mindy

28) A-Team

29) Brady Bunch

30) Matt Houston

31) Addams Family

32) Rockford Files

33) Life with Elizabeth

34) Little House on the Prairie

35) Growing Pains

36) Diff'rent Strokes

37) The Cosby Show

Prime Suspect isn't really a show, but a mini-series.

i probably forgot a whole bunch of them, but these were right off the top of my head. :D

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on Apr 12, 2010 9:28 PM just adding more that I forgot. Silly me.

I looove me some A-Team!!!! I love how vulnerable Mr. T was without anyone else but the team knowing about it. heehee!

It's Betty White's first show in the 50s when she was in her 20s. she was way too pretty! It's a really cute and Del Moore plays her husband. they are newlyweds and each episodes has three individual "incidents" they go through as new spouses. She is kinda ditzy, but it's really hard for her husband "Alvin" to get mad at her, b/c she always asks for kisses and mushy stuff like that.The ending line to every episode is the narrator saying, "Elizabeth!....Aren't you ashamed?" And depending on what incidents they covered that episode, she either giggles while nodding or shakes her head with an innocent look.

I think you would really like it, April!

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on Apr 12, 2010 7:00 PM