Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> I looove me some A-Team!!!! I love how vulnerable Mr. T was without anyone else but the team knowing about it. heehee!

>

Hmmm.....

> It's Betty White's first show in the 50s when she was in her 20s. she was way too pretty! It's a really cute and Del Moore plays her husband. they are newlyweds and each episodes has three individual "incidents" they go through as new spouses. She is kinda ditzy, but it's really hard for her husband "Alvin" to get mad at her, b/c she always asks for kisses and mushy stuff like that.The ending line to every episode is the narrator saying, "Elizabeth!....Aren't you ashamed?" And depending on what incidents they covered that episode, she either giggles while nodding or shakes her head with an innocent look.

>

Okay, that sounds more like it. I bet I would enjoy it. I had no idea Betty had a show of her

own that early on!

Although that tag line at the end sounds like

it's about FrankGrimes.

Okay, that sounds more like it. I bet I would enjoy it. I had no idea Betty had a show of her

own that early on!

yeah when i found some episodes of it, i was shocked and amazed! i had never sen her that young before and looooved it!

I also recall seeing Betty in many game shows in the 70s and early 80s right before The Golden Girls...wasn't she on Password, Hollywood Squares, and 25,000 Pyramid a lot? Her husband was the host of one of them. I forget which, but my momma loves to watch the old ones on the Game show network and I see her all the time on them! She always calls me out when Betty is on. Heehee!

Although that tag line at the end sounds like

it's about FrankGrimes.

I know! It should be called, Life with Frankenstein! Heehee! "Are you ashamed, Frankie?" :D

I remember briefly seeing this show with Betty on the same mysterious cable station that showed I Married Joan and Molly Goldberg in the early 1980s. I bet Ted descended on that station like Rodan on Japan.

Yup, Betty was married to Allen Ludden, who hosted Password. She used to proudly display her engagement ring, a lovely sapphire, if memory serves.

The funniest Password couple ever were Felix Unger and Oscar Madison. :)

IT'S FUDDY DUDDY TIME!!!

My golly Butterscotch...this is just from the top of your head??? WHEW!! These must be YouTube or DVD fare, b'cuz I was under the impression you were a young person, not an old fuddy duddy like me. I remember 31 out of your 33 favorite shows when they were actually on the air.

Great list kiddo.

> yeah when i found some episodes of it, i was shocked and amazed! i had never sen her that young before and looooved it!

>

I love screwballs, so I think I'd like it, too. Is it on YouTube?

> I also recall seeing Betty in many game shows in the 70s and early 80s right before The Golden Girls...wasn't she on Password, Hollywood Squares, and 25,000 Pyramid a lot? Her husband was the host of one of them. I forget which, but my momma loves to watch the old ones on the Game show network and I see her all the time on them! She always calls me out when Betty is on. Heehee!

>

Goodness, I think I remember that now, too. Password, wow, I hadn't thought of that one in a while. I ought to check out The Gameshow Network.

>

> I know! It should be called, Life with Frankenstein! Heehee! "Are you ashamed, Frankie?" :D

More like "death with Frankenstein" :D

IT'S FUDDY DUDDY TIME!!!

You're not a fuddy duddy, Cinie-t! You're sweet!

My golly Butterscotch...this is just from the top of your head??? WHEW!! These must be YouTube or DVD fare, b'cuz I was under the impression you were a young person, not an old fuddy duddy like me. I remember 31 out of your 33 favorite shows when they were actually on the air.

Yup! Grandmama brought me up with most of them and I remember some of them from on TV when I was little. I don't know how they are still in my head, but they are. What I miss the most are The Monkees and Matt Houston, because they wet off the air a long time ago, and they were some of my top favorites and I got really upset. I know The monkees are out on DVD, but the package is WAY too expensive for my college self. heehee!

That reminds me, I forgot to put Little House on the Prairie on it. Grew up with that one too..

As for youtube, I don't know if they are or not. Grandmama used to record everything on VHS! :D she has a huge library of old movies and a big section on her old TV shows.

Great list kiddo.

Thank you, Cinie-T

Oooh! Another one of my favorite when I was like 6 was Xena the Warrior Princess and I wanted to be a combination of her and princess belle from Beauty and the Beast. Heehee! What a combo, huh? :Dcombination of her and princess belle from Beauty and the Beast. Heehee! What a combo, huh? :D

i gotta go back and edit my list! Heehee!

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> >

> >

>

> Goodness, I think I remember that now, too. Password, wow, I hadn't thought of that one in a while. I ought to check out The Gameshow Network.

>

>

> >

Yay I love Betty White so much and I am really happy to see she is just as popular as ever. She is like an inspiration still working at 88 years old and not even thinking of calling it quits.

Betty White was also a semi-regular on Match Game and appeared quite often (Allen Ludden was on the panel a couple times too).

Anyways if you want to check out Betty on GSN tomorrow is the perfect time. She will be on GSN Live sometime between 3-6 pm est answering fan's questions in between the shows that are being aired. Unfortunately the game shows that they show from 3-6 are pretty much the boring new ones (the classics are only on from 9-1) but it will be great to see Betty. :)

Also Match Game (11:30 AM-12:30 PM EST) & Pyramid (10:30-11:30 AM EST) are still shown on GSN but sadly Password is not so if you want to see Betty in an old game show those are your best bets.

I love screwballs, so I think I'd like it, too. Is it on YouTube?

I don't know. I have them on DVD. I got them as a gift from a friend. You would like it, I know you would!

Goodness, I think I remember that now, too. Password, wow, I hadn't thought of that one in a while. I ought to check out The Gameshow Network.

Yeah we used too watch those all the time and momma said that grandma and papa would always watch them with her and my uncle when they were kids and they always talk about how many celebrities were on there and now I can see for myself. I love it when they picked on each other on Hollywood Squares When Betty and Richard Dawson were regulars.

The Gameshow network also plays the old "What's My Line" episodes often too.

More like "death with Frankenstein"

HEEHEE!!! That made me giggle lots! That would be a fun show to watch. I would relax a lot more around here. :P

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}

>

>

> Yeah we used too watch those all the time and momma said that grandma and papa would always watch them with her and my uncle when they were kids and they always talk about how many celebrities were on there and now I can see for myself. I love it when they picked on each other on Hollywood Squares When Betty and Richard Dawson were regulars.

>

> The Gameshow network also plays the old "What's My Line" episodes often too.

>

>

Match Game is the one with Richard and Betty (I am slightly obsessed lol) Actually here are two screencaps I recently took of them on the show (bad quality because it's from a youtube video)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/Kirarakim/richardandbetty2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/Kirarakim/richardandbetty1156.jpg

What's My Line is sadly no longer on GSN. In fact they no longer have any black & white classic game shows on. This is something fans of these shows are very upset about. :(

It goes to show that TCM really is a haven for classic fans.

edit: Just saw your correction between Match Game & Hollywood Squares so excuse my post. :)

Match Game is the one with Richard and Betty (I am slightly obsessed lol) Actually here are two screencaps I recently took of them on the show (bad quality because it's from a youtube video)

Those Screencaps are soooo cute!!! I was actually just trying to look for some cute ones, but couldn't find any. Thank you! I love watching Betty on those early game shows...do you like Family Feud? I like the ones with Richard Dawson more, b/c somehow he gets away with kissing every single woman on the show! Heehee! He's probably the only person who CAN get away with it. :D

What's My Line is sadly no longer on GSN. In fact they no longer have any black & white classic game shows on. This is something fans of these shows are very upset about.

What?! When did that happen? Well I haven't watched GSN in a while, maybe it happened while I was busy. That's just sad! I enjoyed watching the black and white game shows! I wonder why they decided to do that.

It goes to show that TCM really is a haven for classic fans.

:D

edit: Just saw your correction between Match Game & Hollywood Squares so excuse my post.

No worries! :)

Your Grandma is a treasure. You are very fortunate. I hope one day to see Betty's

show.

Kinokima---thank you for the info on those game shows. It sounds like TGN is

going the way of TVLand...what a disappointment that was!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

>

> Those Screencaps are soooo cute!!! I was actually just trying to look for some cute ones, but couldn't find any. Thank you! I love watching Betty on those early game shows...do you like Family Feud? I like the ones with Richard Dawson more, b/c somehow he gets away with kissing every single woman on the show! Heehee! He's probably the only person who CAN get away with it. :D

>

I am a fan of Richard and he is definitely my favorite of the many Family Feud Hosts as well. That being said I am sort of somewhat conflicted about Richard on Feud because I know that is the reason he left Match Game and I liked him even better on there. But C'est la vie.

As for the kissing I don't think he could even get away with that today. I see so many people misinterpret it and think he is some dirty old man (well maybe he was but he was certainly a charming dirty old man if that was the case). ;)

>

>

> What?! When did that happen? Well I haven't watched GSN in a while, maybe it happened while I was busy. That's just sad! I enjoyed watching the black and white game shows! I wonder why they decided to do that.

>

I am not sure of the exact date but I think sometime last year. :(

It's one of the best classic game shows too. Actually I was thinking the special guest portion (with all the great classic stars) might be a great fit for TCM. They could play them in-between the films. :)

*@ MissGoddess* Comparing GSN to TVLand is the perfect way to describe what is happening with the network. :(

My, what a list young one. I knew Grandmama had to be involved because you are too young for about 70% of those shows. Some I have only heard of.

From some old clips Betty White can sing too. "The Monkees" are pretty high up. Do you have any of their recordings? I have found it amazing that a band that was really hot for about two years is still so much a part of the culture 40 years later.

What is your favorite Monkees song?

I liked the Monkees, aka The Pre-fab Four. I think my favorite ep was when Tim Buckley sang Song of the Siren at the end. *Head* was a good film. It had Frank Zappa, and assorted other weirdos in it, directed by Bob Rafelson.

Hey Chris!!

My, what a list young one. I knew Grandmama had to be involved because you are too young for about 70% of those shows. Some I have only heard of.

Yup! Grandmama usually always has something to do with the stuff I watch.

From some old clips Betty White can sing too. "The Monkees" are pretty high up. Do you have any of their recordings? I have found it amazing that a band that was really hot for about two years is still so much a part of the culture 40 years later.

Oh yeah, I have heard Betty sing. She can do pretty well! I loooooove my Monkees! I grew up with them and not so much with the Beatles, even though I know and love a lot of their stuff too. I loved watching their show when I was really little. It used to make me laugh so hard until I basically started crying. Heehee!...but then again it's not hard to make me do that.

What is your favorite Monkees song?

I have many of their albums and love most of their songs lots. I think my top favorites of theirs would be:

"Pleasant Valley Sunday"

"I'm a Believer"

"Daydream Believer"

"Last Train to Clarksville"

"I'm not your steppin' stone"

"Pleasant Valley Sunday" is probably my favorite of theirs.

Do you have a favorite?

Hi T,

*Come play with us! I loooove that song! What others do you like?*

I like all the ones you listed, particularly The Last Train To Clarksville and Pleasant Valley Sunday.

It's hard to think back. I liked She and of course the series theme song.

*Did you ever watch their show?*

One of my older brothers really loved the show and I have early memories of watching it. I saw it mostly in reruns. That same brother has some of the dvds and I can borrow them whenever I want.

I like all the ones you listed, particularly The Last Train To Clarksville and Pleasant Valley Sunday.

It's hard to think back. I liked She and of course the series theme song.

I love the theme song!! Heehee! "Hey hey, we're the Monkees!"

One of my older brothers really loved the show and I have early memories of watching it. I saw it mostly in reruns. That same brother has some of the dvds and I can borrow them whenever I want.

How many siblings do you have? If you don't mind me asking, that is. You and Your brother are lucky duckies!

Hi,

*How many siblings do you have? If you don't mind me asking, that is. You and Your brother are lucky duckies!*

At one time there were nine of us! I have three surviving brothers and three sisters. I'm the youngest and my brother who has all the Monkees' shows is the next youngest. He's also a huge Beatles fan. Growing up, I rarely heard the four actual Beatles without him drowning them out! I remember hearing one of their songs on the radio at a friend's house and thinking how strange it sounded without him singing along! :)

He was also a huge Star Trek fan and got me into it.

Now, I've been looking at your list.

Of the shows you listed:

I don't think I've ever seen:

Life with Elizabeth

Matt Houston

I have seen single episodes or clips or small parts of:

The Loretta Young Show

The Judy Garland Show

Golden Girls

Smothers Brothers

Murder, She Wrote

Father Knows Best

I like:

That Girl!

The Monkees

I Love Lucy

Doris Day Show - (my mom used to sing Que Sera, Sera to us when we were little, but I didn't like that the show's format kept changing)

Mary Tyler Moore Show

Make Room for Daddy

The Avengers

Perry Mason

Brady Bunch

Addams Family - (I'll admit that I do like The Munster's better. I loved Herman)

I really really like:

Green Acres

Get smart

Bewitched

Dick Van Dyke Show

Burns and Allen

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Carol Burnett show

Mission Impossible

Rockford Files

I liked *The Addams Family* far better than *The Munsters*, but I was a teen when it was on TV, and it was the more adult oriented show. *The Munsters* was aimed more at kids. Plus, I had a posh on Carolyn Jones... John Astin was a favorite too.

Fred Gwynne, who played Herman Munster, played Officer Muldoon on *Car 54, Where Are You*, and I liked it, and him in it, a lot better than *The Munsters*.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned *The Man From U.N.C.L.E.* yet. It was a favorite of mine when I was a teen.

Ooooh, Ilya Kuryakin, another crush for teenage girls in the 1960s. Funny part is, David hasn't aged very much, as can be seen from NCIS, while the rest of us have! He and Patrick McGoohan were my favorites.

Wow, what lists, so many good shows. I'm sorry to say I never 'got' The Addams Family, and liked The Munsters. But I agree, I liked Gwynne so much more in Car 54, which was by far a more clever show.

The wave of shows was interesting in the 1960s and happened as fast as Henning (and other moguls) could get them on the air. From westerns to secret agent shows to country shows and so on, we just watched and watched.

How sad that the GSN has already gone the way of TNN -- aiming towards a different demographic. There really is no recourse for those who want to enjoy the very old shows other than DVDs.