Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

Hi Sweet T:

I got to watch The Monkees when they were on originally. Monday nights (I think) on NBC at 7:30.

I have several favorites. "Sweet Young Thing." "Pleasant Valley Sunday." "You May Just Be The One." "Sometime In The Morning." "I Won't Be The Same Without Her." (That one is from "Instant Replay.")

I tend to like the ones Nesmith sang.

I got to watch The Monkees when they were on originally.

Same here. I didn't know at the time they were a studio band nor that they were imitating the Beatles in Hard Days Night. I just enjoyed them.

My favorite song is Daydream Believer, written by John Stewart who died in 2008.

You all know, of course, that Micky Dolenz was in Circus Boy and that Mike Nesmith's mother invented a typewriter correction fluid in 1951.

Davy Jones had played in "Coronation Street" and on stage in "Oliver Twist" in England. I think Nesmith was one of the first to form a company to make music videos. I can't swear to it but I think he was an early producer and performer in them.

Of course, you can make the argument that the whole show was a music video (after The Beatles.)

fenneman.jpg

Groucho and his long suffering announcer, George Fenneman

0.jpg

(Okay, m-b. org, why don't you leave in a huff?)

Groucho and his long suffering announcer, George Fenneman, and shorter

suffering contestants.

Many years ago, reruns of Groucho's quiz program You Bet Your Life were

run on CBN, of all places, around 11 of so in the evening. They were still very

funny, with Groucho and his ever present cigar and eye rolls. Not all the ad libs

were true ad libs, but that doesn't make a lot of difference.

There was the spin-off of "Man from U.N.C.L.E." and she was Stefanie Powers as April Dancer in "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." with Noel Harrison { Rex Harrison"s son } as her side kick Mark Slate.The original pilot starred Mary Ann Mobley and as her side kick Norman Fell, NORMAN FELL, yes you heard right. The spin off didn't last long just about 28 shows .I was more interested in "The Avengers" with Emma Peel. Nobody looked better in leather then Mrs Peel, while kicking some serious bad guys around. The ultra cool John Steed was what every British secret agent should have looked like, but most of my attention { as was almost every red blooded boy back then } was on Mrs Peel. She had me at "Steed, We're needed" The big question was were they having an affair { I said they were. If it wasn't me then I'm OK with it being Steed}. Years later they asked both of them if Steed and Peel were having sex and she said 'Of course not" and he replied "Every single day".. I liked his answer better.....

fredb -

that was hysterical, how Patrick Macnee said yes, they did, and Diana Rigg said absolutely no! Oh my gosh, I almost fell off my chair reading that!

I absolutely LOVED the Avengers.... I wanted to be just like Emma Peel when I grew up. I've noticed that it is one of the shows that has been on virtually everyone's list, and rightly so.

The episode I remember best was called The Joker, and had Mrs. Peel trapped in an old manor house where things became remarkably dreamlike - giant playing cards showing up in hallways, eerie music, roomfuls of roses, etc. Emma was stalked by a crazy old nemesis who said he was already dead and wanted to kill her.

Besides being the vision of almost every boy , at least the ones I knew,. what set the show and her apart. was the fact that unlike all other shows with women characters, Emma Peel did not always rely on Steed or anyone else to get her out of trouble. She could serve up a can of whip a** and not rely on Steed all the time. Where as April Dancer always needed Mark to rescue her almost on every show Emma could handle her self with almost no trouble and look sexy while doing it....I remember the show you're talking about. There were so many great ones in that series. I saw some of the earlier ones with Honor Blackman {" Kitty" Galore} from "Goldfinger". They were ok , but no where near the later ones with Rigg and the ones after she left I was not crazy about.....

Yes, Diana Rigg was the best. The Avengers was one of the most popular shows, drawing a big crowd in the dorm TV room, in my freshman year of college. That and Star Trek and Mission Impossible.

Well, it's high time someone mentioned The Prisoner. Only 17 eps, but IMO, the best TV sci fi spy show ever made. McGoohan's earlier show, Danger Man, aka Secret Agent, was also quite good.

Sineaste, I was quite a Groucho fan, I watched them in the first run, and I saw some reruns, probably in the 90s. In one show, the answer to the big money question at the end was "Circe." The woman contestant was Greek, so of course she knew the answer. But, she gave a Greek pronunciation "Kir-a-key." Groucho said no, that was wrong! I do hope someone pointed out the error, so that the woman got the money!

Aaaaah...."THE AVENGERS."

My parents had company over one evening...their married couple friends Eddie and Gwen _______. They came over to play cards (bid whist) with my folks. I used to sit on the sidelines watching them play and argue. Whew, what battles they had. *("BOSTON!!!!!") When there was a break in the game the wife went to the ladies room and my mother was in the kitchen preparing some Vienna Sausages. (I hated those!) I remember my father's friend (the husband) talking to my father about "The Avengers." He was whispering low and close to my dad: "You don't watch 'The Avengers' man? Damn, that Mrs. Peel, man."

Yeah, I remember "The Joker" episode.

Aaaaaah..."The Avengers." I had a class in college during the time that Rigg's tv show ("Diana"??) came on. I almost failed the class b'cuz of absences.

Yeah, how much does a Grecian earn? I do hope she received her money.

Linda Thorson was more fuller figured than Ms. Rigg, but there wasn't the

same chemistry with Steed. And though she seemed to have a crush on him,

and Steed was still a good looking chap, well that would have been stretching

things a bit, even for TV.

The Prisoner was on TV a little while back, because whatever station it was

on was producing a new version. Maybe it was BBC America or A&E. The

original has held up pretty well, even though it's over forty years old.

Hi Sweet T:

Hey Chris!

I got to watch The Monkees when they were on originally. Monday nights (I think) on NBC at 7:30.

GASP! Really?! I'm soooo jealous! Heehee! I would loved to have seen them when they were originally on TV. I don't remember very many episodes, because I watched them when i was really really younger. I just remember some sketches and shots every now and then and I definitely remember the them song. :P

I have several favorites. "Sweet Young Thing." "Pleasant Valley Sunday." "You May Just Be The One." "Sometime In The Morning." "I Won't Be The Same Without Her." (That one is from "Instant Replay.")

I tend to like the ones Nesmith sang.

"Sweet Young Thing" was such a good one! I haven't heard it in a while. "Sometime in the morning" was a favorite of mine too a while ago. I still love to hear it every once in a while.

I think I'm in the mood to play one of my Monkees albums now....Heehee!

Hey Larry!

At one time there were nine of us! I have three surviving brothers and three sisters. I'm the youngest and my brother who has all the Monkees' shows is the next youngest. He's also a huge Beatles fan. Growing up, I rarely heard the four actual Beatles without him drowning them out! I remember hearing one of their songs on the radio at a friend's house and thinking how strange it sounded without him singing along!

You're the baby?! AWW!! That's too cute! Did you get picked on by the older siblings? Heehee! That's a funny story about your brother. He sounds like he really loved the Bestles. My momma said that her brother used to do that to Depeche Mode and Prince growing up. :P

He was also a huge Star Trek fan and got me into it.

You're a Trekie? How interesting!

Hi ya Miss T.,

*You're the baby?*

Yes! I'm also the good looking one! :)

*Did you get picked on by the older siblings?*

All the time. It was also hard to get a full plate at dinner!

*He sounds like he really loved the Beatles.*

Yes, he thought he was Lennon and McCartney rolled into one.

*My momma said that her brother used to do that to Depeche Mode and Prince growing up.*

Hey, I liked both of them of them as well.

*You're a Trekie? How interesting!*

Well I don't know if I would go that far but I do love most of the shows. I think some of the campier aspects of the original series went over my head as a kid. One of the things I liked about the show was the ship. I loved the Enterprise. We had a model when we were kids. I liked the episodes that were set on the ship. I liked the cool sound effects. The pulsing engine. I used to feel like I was out in space when I watched the show. One of my favorite episodes was "The Naked Time" when the whole crew got space crazy and had to battle to keep their wits. I liked the Next Generation too. I liked the concept of Voyager.

Another show that was big when we were kids was *Lost in Space*. Now even then, I got the campy feel of the show, but the first season, which was in black and white, was actually pretty straightforward. I also liked the robot. I thought it was so cool that the family got to live on a spaceship, even if they were lost.

I used to have this weird thing about wanting to live in space! :)

*Fred Gwynne, who played Herman Munster, played Officer Muldoon on Car 54, Where Are You, and I liked it, and him in it, a lot better than The Munsters.*

I have never ran across *Car 54, Where Are You?*, I do know of it. I will check it out sometime.

> {quote:title=sineaste wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah, how much does a Grecian earn? I do hope she received her money.

>

> Linda Thorson was more fuller figured than Ms. Rigg, but there wasn't the

> same chemistry with Steed. And though she seemed to have a crush on him,

> and Steed was still a good looking chap, well that would have been stretching

> things a bit, even for TV.

>

> The Prisoner was on TV a little while back, because whatever station it was

> on was producing a new version. Maybe it was BBC America or A&E. The

> original has held up pretty well, even though it's over forty years old.

I agree with you about Linda. The show went downhill plot wise then, too.

The new Prisoner miniseries was on AMC, IIRC. The original was also available on "On Demand," w/o interruptions. I think it holds up very well, but then I love surrealism, McGoohan, and Leo McKern, among the many other fine British actors that were in it.

fredb and CineMaven -

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> Besides being the vision of almost every boy , at least the ones I knew,. what set the show and her apart. was the fact that unlike all other shows with women characters, Emma Peel did not always rely on Steed or anyone else to get her out of trouble. She could serve up a can of whip a** and not rely on Steed all the time. Where as April Dancer always needed Mark to rescue her almost on every show Emma could handle her self with almost no trouble and look sexy while doing it....I remember the show you're talking about. There were so many great ones in that series. I saw some of the earlier ones with Honor Blackman {" Kitty" Galore} from "Goldfinger". They were ok , but no where near the later ones with Rigg and the ones after she left I was not crazy about.....

I completely agree, and would even go so far as to say that Mrs. Peel was ever so slightly better than Steed since she had her mind on the job just a tad more..... she was less prone to distraction. I always loved the episodes where she rescued Steed... you have no idea how empowering (gosh, I hate that word, I didn't know it even existed back then, but I felt it) it was for a little girl to see that smart, sexy, powerful, serious minded woman just doing her job. She was strong and brilliant enough to save the man, and I don't think we had ever seen that before. Perhaps we don't see enough of it now.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Steed. He was so wonderfully witty, dapper and suave.The best parts of the show were the beginning and the end, just to see where they were, and what they would be doing, something so cool, and a little mysterious as to whether they were having that fling or not. I will never forget the look on Steed's face in her last episode when she drove off with 'Mr. Peel', still humorous, but very, very wistful under the resilgned smile. A wonderful chapter of life closing.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> The new Prisoner miniseries was on AMC, IIRC. The original was also available on "On Demand," w/o interruptions. I think it holds up very well, but then I love surrealism, McGoohan, and Leo McKern, among the many other fine British actors that were in it.

The original Prisoner is also supposed to look really good on blu-ray, since it was shot on 35mm film originally.

Movieman, what a good boy you are...sharing with the rest of the class. Uhmmmm, so that's what my dad's friend was talking about....

Molo...see "Car 54, Where Are You?" on YouTube when you get a chance. The Boom Boom Boom episode is funny and the August 1 Occupancy episode is a scream!

372695376_625c835cf9_o.jpg

While I do prefer Mrs. Peel, Tara King was not exactly chopped liver, at least

appearance wise. That's Steed's apartment, wonder what she's doing there?

The Tara King episodes were not was good as the ones with Mrs. Peel, though

some were okay in their own right. I do wonder how many more English eccentrics

would have been used before things became too repetitive.

It very well could have been on AMC. One of the actors I remember from both

The Prisoner and The Avengers was a young blond man with glasses who

always played a smug bad guy. He appeared on a lot of British TV programs, but

I can't remember his name.

*THE AVENERS/NEW AVENGERS* is my favorite show ever. I have never considered them a different series. I love *Emma Peel* too, but as I have said before, some of the very best *AVENGERS* episodes do not have *Diana Rigg* in them at all. They have *Tara,* or *Gambit and Purdey.* If you have only seen the *Mrs. Peel* episodes you are missing out on most of *THE AVENGERS* story. You need to see the *Honor Blackman Cathy Gale Stuff,* and certainly *THE NEW AVENGERS* which in terms of production value is far superior to any of the incarnations of the original show.

I completely disagree that the *Tara King Episodes* are not as good as the *Emma Peel* ones. They are just different, and now you had the delightful *Mother (Patrick Newell)* who was supposed to have been Steed's boss all along. *Linda Thorson* was hampered by other factors besides the resentment of many fans that she could never feel Diana Riggs boots. One, she was straight out of drama school. Two, the producers never settled on an established look for her. Experimenting with all sorts of different Hairstyles, and colors. Her voice changed too. As Linda was a native Canadian and not British she had a Thicker accent in the earlier episodes. She was playing a character who was several years older than the actress herself. Linda was in her early 20's.

In the first episodes Steed addressed fer formally as *Miss King,* as He had always addressed Diana Rigg as Mrs Peel. He almost never called her Emma. Suddenly, Steed started called Miss King by her first Name Tara instead. I much prefer the Tara King look a of an episode such as *"MY WILDEST DREAM".* to something like *THE ROTTERS.* but both of those are among the very best AVENGERS episodes.

*THE NEW AVENGERS* was my introduction to *THE AVENGERS* in 1978, and I have always had a soft spot for it. To me *Joanna Lumley's, "Purdey",* is second only to Emma, and by a narrow margin among all the Avengers gals. *Gareth Hunt's, Mike Gambit* is such a great character. and together they and *Steed* made for a fantastic team. *Here are the opening and closing credits of the 1976 and 1977 seasons.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP6lIxDEKSc&feature=player_embedded

A couple great AVENGERS Fan videos. That's Steed and Mrs. Gale, Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman singing these two outrageous songs to terrific clips from throughout the series run.