Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

Oh my gosh! I have never heard of Medic! Can that Dennis Hopper spit or what.... I will have to sit down and watch the whole episode tonight.

I never liked any of the actual doctor shows on TV, although Ben Casey was cute. He had a sort of one note acting style. I hated Medical Center and thought Marcus Welby was stupid (I would probably like it better now). I did enjoy an occasional visit to St. Elsewhere for the cast, but I never watched it straight through, only occsionally. I got hooked on ER when I was pregnant. Weird, because almost every episode had a pregnant woman in distress. I enjoyed the first couple of years because of the ensemble acting and that cute Dr. Carter.

"Medic" is episodic and Boone doesn't appear in all of them, but does open and close

them with his super serious self. So young. I've seen about a dozen episodes and

they've all been very well written, researched and held my interest. I think you may like

the show. There seem to be several of them on YouTube, which is where I first discovered

it.

I think I didn't get into doctor shows after I found out real doctors are seldom

as charming or good looking as they are on TV (or in movies). I was so disappointed! :D

I've never really given them a chance, though, except for "Medic".

Medic looks like the best of the lot. I love episodic series like that, with a different short story every week. I am so loving Richard Boone. I need to go back and watch The Tall T again now that I know who he is.

BTW, Paladin is a great find - thanks so much. I am not sure if I thanked you.

There was a time in the early seventies I think, when you couldn't escape the doctors. They were on soaps during the day, and then every night. Yuck! And Chad Everett is my LEAST favorite doctor of all time. His sideburns irritate me.

Edited by: JackFavell on Jun 27, 2010 6:05 PM because Palladin is Paladin

I watched a few episodes of "Medic." The first thing you'll notice it is a pre-mustache Boone you will see. One thing that did strike me is that in one show they devote the whole episode to a heart operation. Now for 1954(?) this would seem to be a huge show. Very close shots of the surgery and detailed narration. I didn't go too far with them as as good as some of them were some weren't very good either.

I do! I though it went for two seasons. I know Larry Hagman joined the show when one of the older gentleman had to leave. MAD magazine did a hilarious spook of the show about the "dirty old men". They were a bit old to be charming young women but it was a Four Star program so you know it wasn't all bad. I think there was another actor named Robert Coote in the cast, can you believe that?

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Medic looks like the best of the lot. I love episodic series like that, with a different short story every week. I am so loving Richard Boone. I need to go back and watch The Tall T again now that I know who he is.

>

> BTW, Paladin is a great find - thanks so much. I am not sure if I thanked you.

>

You and me, both. I really first became interested in him, ironically, as a doctor

in the Eleanor Parker movie, Lizzie, which was similar in subject to

The Three Faces of Eve. I had only seen Boone as the villain until then,

and I found him quite captivating in a good guy role. Then I saw "Medic" on YouTube, then the

The Tall T, and now, finally, "Have Gun, Will Travel". I'm so interested in

the man behind the character of "Paladin" (I looked it up, it's a word that refers

to a knight or chivalrous hero) that I am considering getting the biography on him

I saw at Amazon.com. He was very involved in the creation and production of

HGWT, even directing some of the episodes himself. I think the show may

have been the best representation of his work, he doesn't seem to have gotten

nearly enough opportunities for his talents in feature films.

Wasn't it nice seeing him in The Shootist, in a brief a farewell appearance to the Duke?

> There was a time in the early seventies I think, when you couldn't escape the doctors. They were on soaps during the day, and then every night. Yuck! And Chad Everett is my LEAST favorite doctor of all time. His sideburns irritate me.

>

:D I've never seen his show, only his appearances on other shows or in movies.

Always though Boone had a cool sounding name on "Medic", Dr. Konrad Styner. Sounds like a Dr.'s name. Not like Ben Casey. I though people would be afraid of not paying their bill if your Dr. looked like Ben Casey, he looked like he would come around and beat it out of you. but I did like the show. I remember one episode of "Medic" that stayed with me. It was about a little girl that could not swallow her food. She could chew it, but then she had to spit it into a bag. That stayed with me for a long time. I'm pretty sure it was "Medic"

I'd be so curious about the biography! I hope you can get it. Let me know what you find out - he seems so private. You never hear stories about him or anything.

I have never seen or even heard of Lizzie - but it's Eleanor Parker's birthday today! She is so incredibly pretty - I am always stunned at her looks.

I was so happy the last time I watched the *Shootist*, because he wasn't the worst bad guy of the lot, he was more honorable than many of the townspeople and the final shooter. I felt like he and Wayne were an even match, and Boone was at least going to play it out the right way. That type of role suits him so. His bad guys are never all bad, and his good guys always seem to have a dark side.

> I'd be so curious about the biography! I hope you can get it. Let me know what you find out - he seems so private. You never hear stories about him or anything.

>

He seems to have been a little like Paladin, very worldly, intelligent.

Unfortunately, his biography seems to be embedded with emeralds

or maybe something else explains why it's so DANGED expensive!!!!

One place even wants $270 for it!!!!!!

He can remain a man of mystery at those prices.

> I have never seen or even heard of Lizzie - but it's Eleanor Parker's birthday today! She is so incredibly pretty - I am always stunned at her looks.

>

Oh yes, she was extremely lovely. Even in The Sound of Music, where I first saw her.

I wanted to grow up and be just like her, not Maria, ha. :D

> I was so happy the last time I watched the *Shootist*, because he wasn't the worst bad guy of the lot, he was more honorable than many of the townspeople and the final shooter. I felt like he and Wayne were an even match, and Boone was at least going to play it out the right way. That type of role suits him so. His bad guys are never all bad, and his good guys always seem to have a dark side.

Definitely...he had the same "code", just in a more left-handed way. He wasn't a

hypocrite. I don't think Boone ever even played a hypocrite.

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> Always though Boone had a cool sounding name on "Medic", Dr. Konrad Styner. Sounds like a Dr.'s name. Not like Ben Casey. I though people would be afraid of not paying their bill if your Dr. looked like Ben Casey, he looked like he would come around and beat it out of you. but I did like the show. I remember one episode of "Medic" that stayed with me. It was about a little girl that could not swallow her food. She could chew it, but then she had to spit it into a bag. That stayed with me for a long time. I'm pretty sure it was "Medic"

Oh, that sounds so sad...I really cry at the ones about children. I just watched

one called "My Brother Joe", about a little boy with a brain injury and rotten parents.

I like that the program goes into the patients' circumstances and psychological background,

so it's not just a show about diseases and accidents.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> I do! I though it went for two seasons. I know Larry Hagman joined the show when one of the older gentleman had to leave. MAD magazine did a hilarious spook of the show about the "dirty old men". They were a bit old to be charming young women but it was a Four Star program so you know it wasn't all bad. I think there was another actor named Robert Coote in the cast, can you believe that?

Yes, Robert Coote was in it - as in 'you old coot?' ;)

I still remember an ep where they had come up with a lost Shakespeare play. Gladys Cooper took the role of "Mad Meg," who supposedly had the manuscript they were using in the con. The series was very ahead of its time. I do vaguely recall the Mad satire of the show. I was an avid mad reader, for about ten years.

About *Have Gun, Will Travel*. It was a favorite of mine then, and I think it holds up well now. Richard Boone was great, it was well written, and well acted. I recall a joke about the show from back in its day -

*Q.* What is Paladin's first name?

*A.* Wire.

On his card, which was invariably in the intro, it said "Have gun, will travel. Wire Paladin, San Francisco." So, back then, any fan would get the joke.

Wire Paladin! Ha!

That show The Rogues sounds interesting, just for the cast.

MissG -

The only thing I found out about Boone (but I think it is telling) was that in WWII he served on three ships - one was bombed, another torpedoed, and the third was kamikaze'd. ON the GI Bill, he studied acting at the Actor's Studio, because he wanted a quieter way of life. He had been an oil field roustabout, whatever that is, before the war.

> Wire Paladin! Ha!

>

:D that's going to be my cry whenever Grimes' starts acting up!

> MissG -

>

> The only thing I found out about Boone (but I think it is telling) was that in WWII he served on three ships - one was bombed, another torpedoed, and the third was kamikaze'd. ON the GI Bill, he studied acting at the Actor's Studio, because he wanted a quieter way of life. He had been an oil field roustabout, whatever that is, before the war.

That's more than I knew! But I was sure that rugged look he has was no joke. He

earned that face.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}. He had been an oil field roustabout, whatever that is, before the war.

An oil field roustabout, also called a roughneck, is a very dangerous job. These guys are the workers on oil rigs that do all the heavy work. They are at the bottom of the pecking order. The next step up is called "tool pusher," assuming it hasn't changed since I was a kid living in the oil patch.

> No, not a Brolin fan. But Robert Young? He's so comforting....

>

> Here are my favorite TV doctors:

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqbvD-g5qN4

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> And also starring William Daniels as Dr. Mark Craig:

>

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T94BwO7EV0g&feature=fvw

>

>

Great list! My favorite is Dr. Hartley, as well as his patients, lol, Mr. Carlin, Mrs Bakerman, and Michelle Nardo.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EikhEXhbW90

>

> Ha, that Zsa Zsa. What, did she use Novocaine in her lipstick?

LOL Not just there.

I like that necklace. I wonder which lover/husband gave it. Probably not George.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Great list! My favorite is Dr. Hartley, as well as his patients, lol, Mr. Carlin, Mrs Bakerman, and Michelle Nardo.

Heaven help me if I ever had to go to any of the doctors I picked! I guess my criteria for a TV doctor is not the same as what I want in real life.

Mr. Carlin was wonderful. Was Mrs. Bakerman played by Florida Friebus? The knitting lady? I LOVE Florida Friebus. There is a whole discussion for this thread on her career alone.

Edited by: JackFavell on Jun 27, 2010 8:59 PM

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > Wire Paladin! Ha!

> >

>

> :D that's going to be my cry whenever Grimes' starts acting up!

Paladin will do more than stick him with a hat pin! He had his guns made special, you know.

> That's more than I knew! But I was sure that rugged look he has was no joke. He

> earned that face.

That's the truth! You can't hide that kind of rugged living. I find it attractive. Just like Ben's life showed up on his face, and made him all the more man, in my eyes.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}. He had been an oil field roustabout, whatever that is, before the war.

>

> An oil field roustabout, also called a roughneck, is a very dangerous job. These guys are the workers on oil rigs that do all the heavy work. They are at the bottom of the pecking order. The next step up is called "tool pusher," assuming it hasn't changed since I was a kid living in the oil patch.

Thanks. It sounded dangerous. :D

>

> That's the truth! You can't hide that kind of rugged living. I find it attractive. Just like Ben's life showed up on his face, and made him all the more man, in my eyes.

I totally agree.

I'll add my thanks for the definition of an oil field "roustabout", ValentineXavier. Sounds like what

Clark Gable also did for a while before he made it into acting full-time.

> Thanks. It sounded dangerous. :D

When I was about 11, and my dad was working on a rig, he had a fingertip crushed. My second best friend's dad had both of his legs crushed. My dad made it to be a VP by the time he died. He believed strongly in safety. I wonder what he would have made of the BP fiasco, where 11 guys died. I'm glad Richard Boone made it to films and TV...

Another one with a lived in face was David Janssen, known to many of us of a certain age as *The Fugitive*.

He had a pretty good film career as well.

> I think she probably gave him jewels. He doesn't strike me as the generous type.

Ha! I tend to agree with you.