Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Great list! My favorite is Dr. Hartley, as well as his patients, lol, Mr. Carlin, Mrs Bakerman, and Michelle Nardo.

>

> Heaven help me if I ever had to go to any of the doctors I picked! I guess my criteria for a TV doctor is not the same as what I want in real life.

Hahahaha! The only screen doctor I'd feel comfortable with is the original movie Kildare, Lew Ayres. He would go to the ends of the earth for his patients! He seemed more competent than Richard Chamberlain.

>

> Mr. Carlin was wonderful. Was Mrs. Bakerman played by Florida Friebus? The knitting lady? I LOVE Florida Friebus. There is a whole discussion for this thread on her career alone.

I loved Jack Riley as Carlin. Under "Neurosis" in the dictioinary I'm sure his photo was there. Yep, that was Florida! I believe she was Dobie Gillis's mother, or am I thinking of someone else?

>

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jun 28, 2010 12:48 AM

In the early 70's he lived here in Florida near St. Augustine. His last wife was from there and he taught drama at Flagler College. He also did a promo for our state pageant play Cross and Sword which was running in honor of our quadracentennial. My cat was so captivated by his voice she world turn to the TV and just stare when it ran. I understood completely.

Izcutter: How certain an age are we talking about? Seriously, David Janssen had a great voice to go with that face. You could tell who it was before you saw him on screen. It could be tough, charming, or anything else the role called for but you knew it was him. He went way too soon.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Jun 28, 2010 11:33 AM

I want Lew Ayres too! Swoon!

Florida was Mrs. Gillis and she got in her share of great lines, unlike most TV moms. I adore her. Was Michelle Nardo, Julie Kavner, or is it my imagination?

David Janssen had a sexy wince. He always looked like he was about to be hit hard.....

My favorite of the TV doctors I listed was Peter Davison as Tristan Farnon in All Creatures Great and Small. A foolish, chain smoking, lazy, prank-playing womanizer, who was always getting in trouble with his big brother Siegfried. Somehow you liked him anyway. And gorgeous. I forgot gorgeous.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I want Lew Ayres too! Swoon!

He was so adorable.

>

> Florida was Mrs. Gillis and she got in her share of great lines, unlike most TV moms. I adore her. Was Michelle Nardo, Julie Kavner, or is it my imagination?

No, not Julie, but Renee Lippin. Good call, because they both specialized in urban schlubbies.

> David Janssen had a sexy wince. He always looked like he was about to be hit hard.....

"Sexy wince" -- great description. Remember the rumor that he was really the son of Clark Gable, lol?

> My favorite of the TV doctors I listed was Peter Davison as Tristan Farnon in All Creatures Great and Small. A foolish, chain smoking, lazy, prank-playing womanizer, who was always getting in trouble with his big brother Siegfried. Somehow you liked him anyway. And gorgeous. I forgot gorgeous.

I enjoyed that show, and was quite fond of Peter.

My favorite of the TV doctors I listed was Peter Davison as Tristan Farnon in All Creatures Great and Small. A foolish, chain smoking, lazy, prank-playing womanizer, who was always getting in trouble with his big brother Siegfried. Somehow you liked him anyway. And gorgeous. I forgot gorgeous.

Check out his other Brit shows.

He is a wonderful actor. Simply wonderful.

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> Lew Ayres was even adorable on that episode of Mary Tyler Moore. Loved him!

>

> lewayres-l.jpg

I remember! He was so sexy as Mary's father! Or, wait a minute, was he someone else's dad and Mary was dating him? If so, Lew at that age was still better-looking than any of the guys she was involved with.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jun 29, 2010 10:51 PM

Re: Opie's Shirt

During the last few seasons of The Andy Griffith Show, when it was in color,

poor old Op got stuck wearing the same shirt in at least half the episodes. It

had a pattern of big green, orange, and yellow squares that blended into one

another. He wore the heck out of that thing. Yeah, I know Andy didn't bring home

a lot of money, but c'mon, he surely could have afforded a few cheapo new shirts

for his son, who was such a fine lad.

And what about Aunt Bea's dress? She always seemed to wear the same one, except for when it was supposed to be Sunday. And her apron never changed, though I remember my widowed aunt had one apron. I read later that she lived out her days in North Carolina and drove the same Studebaker for years..

Including the toupees. I'm hoping against hope that Little Joe's hair was all natural.

What a bummer if it wasn't. Ben did get his money's worth out of that leather vest,

but in general, it wasn't as obvious as in Opie's case. I watch a later episode at random,

and damn, there's that shirt again.

Aunt Bee wore an apron so often, you didn't notice her dresses that much. Maybe Andy

was a cheap stake or he was so used to wearing his uniform most of the day, he didn't

consider that other folks didn't have one.

Betty Lynn, aka Thelma Lou, moved to Mt. Airy, NC. to get away from the crime of the

big city. I think she's been robbed twice. Oops.

Well fred, I've seen the first two and all I can say is it's still one good show. Our station did not carry it the first season so this is like brand new to me. I like how they are starting at square one and letting Dan come into a new place, deal with political redtape, and forge a relationship with Johnny. it gives everything a real feel.

Folks, this is almost unbelievable to imagine today but back in the 50's network affiliates used to share programing. In many places there was only one station available; in Florida they were almost always CBS. According to an A&E Bio William Paley, its head, was the only one who saw potential in an mostly rural area with only 3 million people and insisted on stations here. Of course NBC had Milton Berle-Mr. Television-and people wanted to see him so he showed up on that one station. Later ABC programs got into the mix. When we finally got an NBC station both took in ABC programs until we got one of them. Most times, if was later in the season after they had proved to be bona fide hits. I've noticed when I started watching Cheyenne and Maverickthat I had two and one season's worth of episodes that were new. I think the business is too cutthroat today for anything like this to happen but then with so many channels that is probably moot. It's amazing what seeing an old show makes you remember./

Speaking of Andy, why did they sell off their theme song to be used by some horrid current commercial that has NO relation to anything even remotely nice? Thankfully, I can't remember the commercial.

I would think Griffith has the rights, has he become that mercenary?

I'm not sure who has the rights to the theme song. The way things work, it might

have changed hands a number of times and it's out of his control. I've heard it

used for a few different companies, one an ice cream company, and the other a

grocery chain, and there are likely others.

My birds can sing the song since I taught it to them and when this commerical goes on they go nuts.

TV Land has re-runs of the AG show and I often switch stations to TV Land just so the birds can hear the credits. When I whistle the song the birds don't get as crazy as they do when they her it from the TV. I play the tune on guitar also and that will some times drive them to whistle along.

The birds do the song well enough that when I had some repairman over they started signing it (all on their own), and he said 'hey,, isn't that the song from the AG show'.

How cute, JJG! My friend has a bird and all he can say is "Whaaaaaat?"

I once bought a DVD with the "Loaded Goat" episode on it, and it didn't even have the original theme song. Just some horrible mock tune that made my son and I scream in horror..

>Speaking of Andy, why did they sell off their theme song to be used by some horrid current commercial that has NO relation to anything even remotely nice? Thankfully, I can't remember the commercial.

>I would think Griffith has the rights, has he become that mercenary?

Nope. Andy didn't write it. Or whistle it. Earle Hagen did. He maintained rights to the song under the corporate name of Larrabee Music. He died in May 2008.

Some episodes of TAGS are now in public domain, but the theme music is not. That's how come you might come across a discount DVD of TAGS with completely different music.

Okay, you guys. I've been watching Peter Gunn on my local RTN network and I am getting such a kick out of Craig Stevens and Herschel Bernardi and their tongue in cheek performances. When I was a kid growing up in East Tennessee we didn't get ABC because it was on a UHF station and our old RCA only went up to channel 13. By the time we were able to watch ABC, it was already off the air.

Gunn had a great jazzy theme song written & performed by the great Henry Mancini and was produced by Blake Edwards. What a fun show.