Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

Maryville, Tennessee in the foothills of the Smokies. A great little town. Moved to Chattanooga in 1966. Now live in North Alabama.

When I vacationed there in the late 60's Maryville, Tennessee was about 15 miles east of Knoxville and next door to Alcoa, home of the company that made aluminum products and sponsored a great anthology show back in the late 50's to early 60's. The best water you will ever taste was there right out of your tap. Had a nice college and everybody was friendly.

Peter Gunn was an NBC show on Monday nights for two years. I think it was 1958-1960. Hope Emerson was "Mother" the first year. The Stevens-Bernardi banter was good. Bernardi went on to be Charlie the Tuna until he died.

The theme has been used in a lot of TV shows like Wiseguy and of course The Blues Brothers. I think it's what first Henry Mancini known to us fans. If the show did nothing else it gets propers for that.

Glad to know it's still nice up there. I'm a Florida woman who's a misplaced mountain goat instead of a beach bunny. Please keep it that way.

For some reason, I thought Peter Gunn was on ABC because my only memory of it as a kid was that my aunt & uncle, who lived in Chattanooga, watched it and it was on ABC (the last season I guess.) We watched CBS a lot in those days, from what I remember. I was only 5 when the show started and my TV watching began & ended with cartoons & Captain Kangaroo.

You mentioned Alcoa, Tennessee. I'll have to say they had the best public pool. I spent a lot of summers swimming there.

Hey, Helenbaby!

I saw a few reruns of Peter Gunn when I used to stay up late in college. I really liked the show - and the music was wonderful. I checked and Netflix has it available for instant watching on the computer. I know what I am doing for the next few days! Thanks for mentioning it.

Thanks, Lucky Dan, C Bogle and jamesjazzguitar.

So it is all about the money, in the end. The odd thing about the commercial is that, as I said, I can't remember it and the music has nothing to do with the product.

jamesjazzguitar, I like the picture of your birds reacting when it comes on!

>So it is all about the money, in the end.

More like not wanting to pay any money in the end, but yeah.

>The odd thing about the commercial is that, as I said, I can't remember it and the music has nothing to do with the product.

You've got me curious now. I can't recall hearing it in an ad. I'll see if I can't search it out somehow.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Stars JackFavell would date?

Yes, let's have your list.

You won't believe this, but I'm suddenly smitten with Edward Everett Horton.

I've been on a Miriam Hopkins jag and remembered her in that Outer Limits episode called "Don't Open Till Doomsday", as a sort of Robert Aldrich/Miss Havisham grotesque. I caught it again (after many years) on YouTube last night.

I've come to the conclusion that Nellie Burt (the little lady in the wheelchair) is almost as weird-looking as the creature, LOL

Enjoy, everyone! (it starts after the commercial)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8PEZpeMHuc

Yes, and other variations on the lame 'punch dub' (never knew it had a name).

A car commercial with the Andy Griffith theme. Makes no sense to me and I dislike it.

The only reason I can see for them playing the AG song in a car commercial is to give the commercial that small town, good old days feel and maybe would equate that to quality and value.

Many, many American car companies do that type of stunt using country music, the flag and other type of symbols. It all says 'buy American,,, get back home!'. I assume market research says that some people fall for that type of ploy.

I listen to a retro Public radio show and they play Lola Albright's records. She was Pete's girlfriend, Edie, who sang at Mothers. She was pretty good.

Mosey over to the Westerns forum and click the Western Rambles thread. We started talking about Richard Boone and of course Have Gun, Will Travel came up as well as Steve McQueen and Wanted Dead or Alive. In the First Rate Second Bananas thread they have some great pics and words about Ray Teal of Bonanza. For an "off" topic, we are fast turning into tribbles getting into everything. Amen!

I enjoy vintage television every bit as much as I enjoy classic movies, and I suspect this is true for a lot of people on this forum, this discussion is not quite off topic!

My all time top favorite television series is the 1965-68 series I Spy, with Robert Culp and Bill Cosby as under cover agents travelling the world and waging the Cold War against Russian and Chinese agents.

A handful of other favorites are

The Dick Van Dyke Show

The Rockford Files (I consider the 1970's to be inlcuded in classic tv)

MASH

Father Knows Best

The Jack Benny Program

The original verison of Star Trek

And I can't help it, I still get a kick out of occasionally watching Gilligan's Island and Hogan's Heroes

Good News, Bad News

Saw on the net a few days ago that Butch Patrick aka Eddie "Widow's Peak" Munster

is getting married to a woman who used to write him fan letters when she was a kid and

he was on The Munsters. She is also a former NFL cheerleader. That's good news

for Eddie, but it's got to be bad news for another kiddie star. Master Kenneth Weatherwax

can't be too thrilled at the idea. How ookie.

weatherwax.jpg

=325>

Always a "bridesmaid"...

OH my goodness, Johnny was a good sport! I love that show, thanks Bronxie.

The scariest by far was the "emu"...I mean its owner.

> {quote:title=prc1966 wrote:}{quote}

>

> And I can't help it, I still get a kick out of occasionally watching Gilligan's Island and Hogan's Heroes

I know the original comment is a bit old but there is nothing wrong with enjoying Hogan's Heroes. I love the series and no I don't consider it a guilty pleasure. :)

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I can't laugh anymore while Bob Crane is on-screen.

Bob Crane isn't the only actor in the series. I feel sorry for what happened to him and yes his true life was disturbing but I guess I can separate reality from fiction. Besides Hogan was actually my least favorite character in the show.

Fi--Bob Crane was always a jerk--I still enjoy the show, particularly Le Beau. Found out years later that virtually Robert Clary's entire family was murdered in Nazi Concentration Camps during World War II. If Clary could perform comedy and laughs in his own situation, you should buck up. Dickie Dawson was always my favorite anyway.

FYI--In France, the French call "Hogan's Heroes" "Sgt Schultz"--different perspective entirely.

Edited by: cujas on Aug 9, 2010 4:27 PM

Very true about Clary. He was in the camps himself but survived. I read his autobiography and it is very remarkable.

All the German characters were also played by Jews who escaped Nazi Germany (Well Hochstetter was an American Jew but the rest like Klink, Schultz, and Burkhalter were European Jews). John Banner and Leon Askin's parents were also killed in the camps and Leon Askin at one time was interrogated by the Gestapo. Many remarkable stories in the Hogan's Heroes cast.

And also the show with some rewrites was also a big hit in Germany.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> OH my goodness, Johnny was a good sport! I love that show, thanks Bronxie.

>

> The scariest by far was the "emu"...I mean its owner.

Yes. I think I was more creeped out by that guy than the giant beetle.