Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

Well let me see.

These are the kids type shows I remember watching.

I liked *Kukla, Fran and Ollie*, this was the later version, and mainly for the children's film festival that was part of their show. I think it also aired as the *CBS Children's Film Festival*, and it was all international short films dealing with children. Also every morning before school we had *Captain Kangaroo*. I also remember liking Bozo the Clown.

I remember watching *Zoom* out of Boston, on PBS. Thinking back that really was an encapsulation of the early 70's mindset. The kids would have these rap sessions and talk quite frankly about social issues.

I also liked *The New Adventures of Huck Finn*, which was a Hanna-Barbera production which put Tom, Huck and Becky as real kids in an animated world. Saturday mornings I watched Scooby Doo, *Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids* and Bullwinkle and Rocky. I also remember liking *Shazam!*

I was a big fan of *The Partridge Family* when it first came out. I still remember looking forward to the second season, when it finally aired, they had replaced the little dark haired kid with a blond kid. This really freaked me out for some reason, maybe because I was a little dark haired kid, any way I never watched the show after that! The bus was great!

Hey Frank,

*Uh-huh. I was big into General Hospital back in the mid-80s until the early-90s. I liked Frisco (Jack Wagner) and Felicia (Kristina Wagner). My mom used to watch it back the late-70s and early-80s when Rick Springfield (Dr. Noah Drake) and John Stamos (****) were on the show.*

*General Hospital* really broke through to the high school set during that whole Luke and Laura saga. They were huge for a while there. This came on right after you got out of school so it became popular. What I always found interesting is that people seem to forget how Luke and Laura actually came to be a couple. Laura was married to Scotty at the time and, well, lets just say it was an extremely ugly and very sordid beginning for L and L. It was all pushed under the rug and forgotten when they became popular. I remember Noah Drake and **** too. I had no idea that was Anna Lee at the time either. I didn't realize it until you mentioned it.

Hi wouldbestar,

>

> Robert Conrad was not in Medical Center, Chad Everett and Tyne Dalys father, James, were. I bring it up in case it is or comes out; this might help if you want to get it.

>

I've only seen *Chad Everett* in a B western and one horror anthology called *Journey to Midnight*, but I've never seen "Medical Center".

> I did not have TV in the early 70s; when I finally did the first show that came on was Owen Marshall. I stayed with it through all his revolving door assistants. Arthur Hill was magnificent.

>

> Black Saddle was another of the many good Westerns made by Dick Powell's Four Star Company along with Trackdown, Wanted: Dead or Alive, The Rrifleman, and The Big Valley. It ran for a year and a half in the early 1960's on NBC. It took place in the Dakotas. Russell Johnson was a Union soldier turned U.S. Marshall, Peter Breck was a Confederate who became a gunfighter then a lawyer, and Anna Lisa was a widow who ran the boarding house when she wasn't dealing with their amorous attentions. My mom loved the show because of her so-polite but snappy comebacks; I liked the characters. Breck's character was more interesting because of his shady past but Johnson's nice guy held his own. I thought we were the only ones who remembered the show.

>

Ah, so Peter Breck was a regular on "Black Saddle", too? I've been seeing him pop up in several TV westerns on Encore lately. Maybe one day Encore will dig up these more obscure western shows and broadcast them. I'm mighty curious.

>

> I wonder if Hitchcock is the reason I dont like lamb? And to think Newton Minnow called TV a vast wasteland. Obviously the shows mentioned and the ones that will be brought us a lot of entertainment and in the words of Fat Albert maybe we even learned something If not and our brains really are rotted can that be all bad?

It certainly is a wasteland now, but back then it seems there was more to choose from and some really first rate writing going on.

Hi, steve,

> {quote:title=stevec86 wrote:}{quote}

> I'm 41 and, by pure accident, started watching, *Have Gun - Will Travel*. Directtv is giving me the Western channel for free for a few months and it is on.

>

> It was never on tv when I grew up so I didn't know it existed. They certainly got a lot done in a 30 minute episode. After seeing several episodes, the only corny thing, other than an Asian's name being, "Hey Boy", was how easy it was to hit Paladin over the head from behind. I don't know how he manages to stay alive.

>

> When the end credits started, I heard the theme song and instantly remembered hearing it once before by a group of boys in the movie Stand By Me. I didn't know what it was at the time but recognized it right away.

>

> I only knew Richard Boone from some of the John Wayne movies: Alamo, Big Jake and The Shootist.

>

> I don't know what people (kids) thought of this show at the time it was on tv back then but I sure think it is a good show and it must be underrated because I never saw it growing up.

This show has gone up in my estimation more than any other since Encore started airing it and I've had a chance to see what a wide variety of stories they managed to incorporate into its half-hour program. I find there is less "compromise" with the stories, with their endings, than in some shows, and this gives the show a bitey thrust. Boone's Palladin is a mysterious figure. I am still not sure I've figured him out. He seems somewhat removed, emotionally, like a James Bondish figure, yet there will be a show that depicts him as really compromised by his own choice of "career" and personal ethics. Very satisfying and deeper than I expected.

While I still giggle every time he whips out that card form various parts of his wardrobe to the accompaniment of those four chords of music (Beethoven?), I think it's a thought provoking show and I look forward to each "new" episode.

I wonder when Boone pulls out his business card, usually from under his belt, how they managed to stay in there. The chords are not Beethoven. I think they are just a variation on the chords in the theme. Neither the end or the opening themes rank high on my list.

The DVDs have some interesting commentary on guest stars or writers of the show. Apparently Gene Roddenberry ("Star Trek") wrote several.

Hi, TVMave!

> * DESTRY

> I was crazy about John Gavin. I literally never missed an episode. One time I was on punishment for the whole summer. I could not go out and play for some infraction I commited. Well, it might not have been the whole summer; my memorys a little shaky. But when I was no longer grounded (it was a Friday) and I could go out and play, I chose not to, to stay in and watch Destry.

>

Gosh, another one I never saw or heard of. So he plays the "Tom Destry" character in a series? I bet my mother watched, she still thinks he was the handsomest man in movies.

> 2. IVE GOT A CRUSH ON YOU...SWEET PIE

>

> I loved these shows bcuz I had such a crush on the boys on those shows. They were cute and lived in wide open spaces and had adventures I wish I could have:

> * Lassie (Timmy - Jon Provost)

> * Fury (Joey - Bobby Diamond)

> * My Friend Flicka (Ken - Johnny Washburn)

> * The Rifleman (Mark - Johnnny Crawford)

Wow, I'm really surprised by your liking the western/adventure shows, I never would have suspected. And I'm really amazed more than ever by the variety of shows that used to air. There seemed to be so many more genres for different styles and age groups. As a kid, I loved any show about animals but I didn't see all those you listed, I got mostly PBS stuff, Disney or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, which I adored.

> 3. CRIME FIGHTING / SECRET AGENTS

>

> Blonde or brunette, they were beautiful, smart, strong, competent. They werent housewives. They did things. I wanted to be just like them...but maybe without the ocelot:

> * Honey West (Anne Francis)

> * The Avengers (Diana Rigg - I went to see her in the Broadway play Abelard & Heloise. To see her in a James Bond movie was fantastic. To see her making out with George Lazenby was horrifying. She should have been with Sean Connery. She got gypped. If I ever found that casting director, why I...)

I never saw these until they turned up on BBC America or DVD, but I remember my mother watched "Police Woman" with Angie Dickenson. I'd like to see that one on dvd, maybe get it for my mom.

> 5. SITUATION COMEDIES

>

> I had a great time as a kid. Toys, family trips in my Daddys Chevrolet, playing games in the living room. But when I got spanked, sometimes I wished I were in a different family. These would be them:

> * The Donna Reed Show

> * Father Knows Best

> * Leave It to Beaver

> * The Cosby Show (It totally reinvigorated the genre single-handedly and I loved Claire Huxtable)

Terrific. I love Bill Cosby, that man can really make me laugh HARD, and over stuff most families know and have experienced. Great. Just great. I want him back for another Guest Programmer stint.

> * BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

> Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman talked in hush tones, and her pain at loving this man/beast from under ground was palpable. He was a big hairy thing (with a cute nose) and he would protect her with his own life. Imagine, if you were ever in trouble, someone would be there...on the spot...to help you. He was so poetic. When Edward Albert appeared on the show and loved Hamilton, what a conflict. When Linda Hamiltons character died on the show, I felt it. I never missed an episode. No matter what, I was home at 8:00pm every Friday night. I know I know, youre saying: (Get a life!) Easy, e-z...one hour of my life does not a hermit crab make.

>

Ha! Now this is a show I definitely grew up with and all the girls in school were kookoo for. I wasn't that much into it, myself, but what a huge hit it was.

> * I LOVE LUCY.

> Its a little hard to watch Lucy now becuz it doesnt seem as funny to me as it did when I was a kid. But when I was a kid, a teen, a young adult...Lucille Ball could do no wrong.

>

> I loved when they went to Hollywood. Remember sitting in the restaurant and Eve Arden passes by? Remember when she met Bill Holden? She tried to eat the spaghetti when he turned the tables on her and stared her down. (How bout the cherry on top when Ethel took out her little scissors and CUT the spaghetti in Lucy's mouth). And when Lucys nose caught on fire when she tried to disguise herself from Holden recognizing her...My God.

>

Ha! Lucy is still the queen of tv. I love the Holden episode, it's one of the best.

> I think the funniest thing Ive EVER seen in my life is when Lucy tried to get Ricky to prove his love. Lucy's legs and arms were totally aced-bandaged. Ricky was pretending the house was on fire with a smoke machine and a bicycle bell. Lucy tried to get out of the bedroom. She threw her peroxide bottles out the window. Then, she tied a sheet to her waist to climb out the window.

> She forgot to tie the other end of the sheet onto something secure.

>

> To see her go out the window, and the camera pan to the untied other end of the sheet quickly being dragged across the floor was the funniest sight gag I have EVER seen.

>

That got one of the biggest laughs from me, too. It was such a "cartoon" moment and she made it happen. Wacky stuff. Lucy is very comforting, because I did grow up with her show and it seems like it has always been on, somewhere, sometime. Very reassuring.

Thanks for sharing your memories, I love reading everyone's responses even if I couldn't reply to them all.

Now to look for "Police Woman"....

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I wonder when Boone pulls out his business card, usually from under his belt, how they managed to stay in there. The chords are not Beethoven. I think they are just a variation on the chords in the theme. Neither the end or the opening themes rank high on my list.

>

But doesn't the first four chords of the theme sound and awful lot like Beethoven? I couldn't get it out of my head, lol.

He's pulled the card from his shirt, his jacket, his wallet, his belt, his pants pocket...I figure they were stashed away all through his wardrobe! :D

> The DVDs have some interesting commentary on guest stars or writers of the show. Apparently Gene Roddenberry ("Star Trek") wrote several.

I rented some of the dvds before but I failed to get to the commentaries. I want to. I've been very impressed with the writing and the emphasis the shows put on ethical situations. Just what is right and wrong is often called into question. Boone's acting makes it all very realistic, he's no one-note, cardboard hero, though half an hour doesn't give you much time for character development.

I look forward to seeing more of the seasons.

Commentaries was the wrong word to use in the DVD sense of things. They are more like short articles.(They were the "Wire Paladin" selection on the menu.) I am into the second season and I feel much the same way you do about the character. He is tough, smart, educated, both in books and tactics, and a gentleman in every sense of the word. Even when he is being disagreeable with someone it is founded in a principle and not just to show off.

He is incredibly fair minded. He is well versed in the law and knows where he fits in with it. He was the 19th Century "Equalizer." He commands a steep price but he is not above doing his work for free.

I will give you the fact the music does have an attention commanding motif when the card comes out. Much like the opening themes from Beethoven's 5th and Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphonies it does shout a "This is important. This is me" quality to it. A statement is being made.

Edited by: movieman1957 on Mar 30, 2010 12:14 PM

You described Palladin perfectly, Chris! Yes, he's so fair. I never saw "The Equalizer" but it does sound like they are similar. "A knight without armor in a savage land...."

I'm sorely tempted to get the show on DVD. I probably will one day.

i]Will+Travel.jpg

"Wow, I'm really surprised by your liking the western/adventure shows, I never would have suspected. And I'm really amazed more than ever by the variety of shows that used to air. There seemed to be so many more genres for different styles and age groups. As a kid, I loved any show about animals but I didn't see all those you listed, I got mostly PBS stuff, Disney or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, which I adored."

Yup, that was me. (Though it was Mark, Timmy, Ken &Joey that had my rapt attention back then. Darn it, why couldn't I have had a horse instead of the Schwinn bike I had)!! Oh well, I guess we all start out as something. I morphed into a denizen of the Noir and I love the dark. And if I have to tell the truth, I loved the white-haired old man with the graying mustache who hosted "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom." And his young handsome sidekick was no slouch either. (Was his name Jim???)

"Gosh, another one I never saw or heard of. So he plays the "Tom Destry" character in a series? I bet my mother watched, she still thinks he was the handsomest man in movies."

I never missed an episode of "Destry" and I loved John Gavin too. He was so.... Wait a second!!! OW!!!!! I felt that swift kick in the pants you just gave me. Am I old enough to be your Mom??? Say it ain't so, Miss G. Oh Lord, say it ain't so.

Could that be why I love the dark??? < Gulp! >

>

> Yup, that was me. (Though it was Mark, Timmy, Ken &Joey that had my rapt attention back then. Darn it, why couldn't I have had a horse instead of the Schwinn bike I had)!! Oh well, I guess we all start out as something. I morphed into a denizen of the Noir and I love the dark. And if I have to tell the truth, I loved the white-haired old man with the graying mustache who hosted "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom." And his young handsome sidekick was no slouch either. (Was his name Jim???)

>

Your memory is a heck of a lot better than mine...I didn't even remember there WAS a sidekick till now. That's how focused I was on the animals. :D

I just remembered another animal show I loved, "Daktari". Marshall Thompson, right?

> I never missed an episode of "Destry" and I loved John Gavin too. He was so.... Wait a second!!! OW!!!!! I felt that swift kick in the pants you just gave me. Am I old enough to be your Mom??? Say it ain't so, Miss G. Oh Lord, say it ain't so.

>

No no no no! I just mean if it had John Gavin in it, my Mom would have been watching. I only cared about lions and tigers and horses. Oh, and "The Six Million Dollar Man". :D

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

>And if I have to tell the truth, I loved the white-haired old man with the graying mustache who hosted "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom." And his young handsome sidekick was no slouch either. (Was his name Jim???)

Jim Fowler, who appeared quite often on the Tonight Show when Carson was hosting. I recall one time Fowler brought on some large African beetle that suddenly flew off a stick at Carson. "Why didn't you tell me he could do that?" asked Carson. "I didn't know he could do that," said Fowler. (Audience cracks up). Carson: "What the hell else don't you know?"

Oh gosh! All I remember was when they would show Clarence looking at something - and then the screen would split into two images! I haven't thought of the show for so long... the funny thing is I don't remember any of the people in it.... just Clarence and Judy. Shows you where my priorities were.....and still are. :)

Marlin Perkins hosted "Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom."

"While Jim is upstream looking for a deadly water moccasin this is a good time to remind you that the people at Mutual of Omaha can be there for you if you have an accident."

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I remember the animals mostly too! Seeing that intro just brought back memories. It was a fun show.

>

> Rich! Is this the one?

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56kwi25yIY

Yes! Thanks for finding it - I almost got the dialogue correct. Of course, my all-time favorite is when Carson had on Joan Embry from the San Diego Zoo, and a marmoset climbed onto his hair and relieved itself. I noticed that video at the same site.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> Well let me see.

>

> These are the kids type shows I remember watching.

>

> I liked *Kukla, Fran and Ollie*, this was the later version, and mainly for the children's film festival that was part of their show. I think it also aired as the *CBS Children's Film Festival*, and it was all international short films dealing with children.

I never got the chance to see Kukla Fran and Ollie but it reminds me of a hilarious Match Game moment (everything comes down to Match Game).

A contestant in the bonus round was giving the term Cuckoo ____________. All she had to do was give a word to fill in the blank and match the celebrity. What does she say? Just watch the clip to find out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1avf8jlAsU

So yeah thanks to Match Game I am now familiar with Kukla Fran and Ollie (even though the contestant was completely confused over the name). :)

Hola, Grahame's Guy -- General Hospital really broke through to the high school set during that whole Luke and Laura saga. They were huge for a while there. This came on right after you got out of school so it became popular.

I used to watch General Hospital after high school, too. We'd get out at 2:30 and I'd get home at about 3:00.

What I always found interesting is that people seem to forget how Luke and Laura actually came to be a couple. Laura was married to Scotty at the time and, well, lets just say it was an extremely ugly and very sordid beginning for L and L. It was all pushed under the rug and forgotten when they became popular.

I didn't know that! Luke and Laura were finished when I really started watching the show. Luke eventually reappeared and then Laura showed up a bit later. Scotty Baldwin was around when I really started watching. I always enjoyed him.

I remember Noah Drake and **** too.

:D

I had no idea that was Anna Lee at the time either. I didn't realize it until you mentioned it.

So I wasn't the only one! My brother and I used to get many laughs out of the show, mostly our own.

I also watched this when I got home from school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9rrUuHFtTU

I'm old enough to remember when Dr. Steve Hardy was the romantic lead on "General Hospital," and the soundtrack consisted of a Wurlitzer organ.

I'm old enough to remember when Dr. Steve Hardy was the romantic lead on "General Hospital," and the soundtrack consisted of a Wurlitzer organ.

The ol' ballplayer as the romantic lead, eh. Unreal.

A Wurlitzer organ... how apropos for a general hospital.

And what's with the guys liking General Hospital?

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> And what's with the guys liking General Hospital?

We looked at the nurses.