Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lzcutter

Joel McCrea for Star of the Month

Joel McCrea would be an excellent choice for SOTM, but based on everything I have seen on these boards, and the fact that he is so underappreciated, I'd also like to cast a "write-in" vote for Warren William for SOTM.

>>I bet John Wayne was THE wealthiest. He owned an island off the coast of Central America. Plus all the real estate he owned in Orange County, around his home in Newport.

Around the time that THE ALAMO came out, John Wayne discovered that an unscrupulous business manager had been tapping his assets. the stories at the time were that he was practically broke. Of course by Hollywood standards that could mean down to his last million.

It used to be a running gag with interviewers asking both Hope and Crosby which one was richer.

He may not have had as prestigious a career as one-time co-stars Wayne or Randolph Scott, but Stuart Whitman amassed an enormous fortune. Wayne Rogers is not only extremely well-off, he was also the financial manager for numerous other celebrities.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Joel McCrea would be an excellent choice for SOTM, but based on everything I have seen on these boards, and the fact that he is so underappreciated, I'd also like to cast a "write-in" vote for Warren William for SOTM.

I'll second that. He'd be another great SOTM.

Wow, LZ!

I could go for Joel McCrea as SOTM. I'd like to see some of his earlier obscure films and include George Cukor's 1931 pre-code gem Girls About Town, with Kay Francis and Lilyan Tashman.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> He has been popular in the programming challenges so that should help as well. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

I was just thinking about that! Is that going to start up soon?

*"...he has two sons. Either one would likely be a good co-host with Robert O to introduce each evening of films."* - lzcutter

Let me guess. One (or both) are probably very handsome. There's usually a good-looking relative behind 'lzcutter's' requests.

Does Bill Wellman Jr. know you are "stepping out" on him?

Kyle ("Poor Mr. Cutter") In Hollywood

There is something *Pillow Talk* - esque about this scene.

4470890319_e8fb1e9829_o.jpg

and this is by popular request. Well, _one_ request.

4471669798_800e27a3ff.jpg

Because linking on images won't work in this Forum, to access larger versions, go here -

For Jack Favell

Kyle In Hollywood

>>I'd like to see some of his earlier obscure films and include George Cukor's 1931 pre-code gem Girls About Town, with Kay Francis and Lilyan Tashman.

I would sure like to see THE SILVER CORD again. I saw it once on AMC at least 20 years ago and regret not taping it at the time. Laura Hope Crews is the mother from hell in here, miles away from Aunt Pittypat.

clore,

I'd like to see The Silver Cord, as well. I remember the play from my drama classes of yore. I always found it amusing that JM made The Silver Horde and The Silver Cord. Maybe that's akin to Crawford making two films called Possessed. BTW-Isn't this when JM first met Frances Dee?

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> I'm all for it...especially those pre-codes with Constance Bennett. And it would be great if TCM could dig HALF A SINNER (1934) out of the Universal graveyard. It's a comedy and co-stars Sally Blane (Loretta Young's sister), Berton Churchill, Mickey Rooney and (in a bit) Walter Brennan.

Add me to the list - Joel McCrea, a native Californian - and those early movies, including *Bird of Paradise*, sound intriguing.

BIRD%20OF%20PARADISE%20Del%20Rio%20canoe

>>BTW-Isn't this when JM first met Frances Dee?

Yes, this is where they met. They were married for 57 years, in fact Joel died on their anniversary.

Oh my 57 years - Thats great ! As a life long bachelor girl I really admire their long time love affair. IMHO Freanis was a great beauty and a very underrated actress. Bless them both.

Thanks to all who are chiming in for Joel McCrea to be a Star of the Month. Hopefully, TCM will hear our voices!