Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lzcutter

Joel McCrea for Star of the Month

Just wanted to remind TCMProgrammr, now that he has had some time to catch his breath, we would really like to have Joel McCrea as a Star of the Month next winter!

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Just wanted to remind TCMProgrammr, now that he has had some time to catch his breath, we would really like to have Joel McCrea as a Star of the Month next winter!

That means including HALF A SINNER (Universal, 1934).

The powers that be at TCM must have got the message by now, but just in case:

JOEL McCREA FOR STAR OF THE MONTH !!

I'm just going to repeat what everyone else on this thread has already said, but I can't resist because I'm a huge fan. He's versatile, smart, funny, and great fun to watch, even in his serious films. ( And let's not forget, he's fabulous eye candy.)

From "Bird of Paradise" to "Ride the High Country", Joel McCrea does it with class.

Joel McCrea should definitely be a Star of the Month. He was good in just about every genre of films. I haven't seen many of his early thirties films and would like to see more of them. I think I like him best in Foreign Correspondent and The More the Merrier.

yes! i also would like this he has fantastic chemistry with ginger rogers. i just loved that line "thats the best chicken pie i ever had" in "chance at heaven". and "primrose path" was also a really good movie. i would like to see more movies that show him.

Has anyone mentioned "Sullivan's Travels"? A truly great film, and McCrea makes it even better. A rare example of comedy and drama in the same movie, and it works.

With all the talk about various actors and actresses who should be considered for *SOTM*, I thought it worth bringing this thread back around.

I've been advocating for a couple of years that Joel McCrea should be a *SOTM* and I think it would be great if that happened in 2011.

How about you?

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> With all the talk about various actors and actresses who should be considered for *SOTM*, I thought it worth bringing this thread back around.

>

> I've been advocating for a couple of years that Joel McCrea should be a *SOTM* and I think it would be great if that happened in 2011.

>

> How about you?

I agree. Seeing him most recently in THE GREAT MAN's LADY during Bob's picks for September and in THE PALM BEACH STORY yesterday for Claudette Colbert's bday tribute really make me want to see more of his films.

I'll add my name in support for Joel McCrea as SOTM. I've seen several of his films...PRIMROSE PATH, THE MORE THE MERRIER, FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT and have a couple more to see...THE PALM BEACH STORY and THE GREAT MAN'S LADY. But I'd love to see more from him.

Sarah

Edited by: sewannie on Sep 14, 2010 5:29 PM

American Heritage magazine named McCrea as the most underrated American film actor, and it's hard to disagree. I think it was Pauline Kael who said that he had a gift for holding his own onscreen while allowing his co-stars to shine at the same time. (Walter Brennan and Charles Coburn both won Oscars supporting him, while McCrea went winless.)

"Dear TCM, I would like to suggest that you seriously consider the wonderful actor, Joel McCrea, as a Star of the Month...Come on Joel McCrea fans, chime in! Let's convince TCM

that Joel McCrea deserves to be a Star of the Month!" - << (lzcutter - 3/28/2010 ) >>

Hey Madame Cutter...consider me chiming! I'm chiming!!! "The Great Man's Lady" was just on the other night and it reminded me of what an underrated actor he was. (Alright, it doesn't hurt that he's just a dream to look at as well). Okay TCM. The ball's in your court. Give the public what we want.

Please. ;-)

Add my name to the Joel McCrea SOTM bill. He could do it all and do it well. Comedy: "The Palm Beach Story", "Sullivans Travels", Thrillers: "Foreign Correspondent", Drama "The first "Dr Kildare", "These Three", Westerns, he was right up there with Randolph {Chorus Please } Scott. He was at home in the saddle and like Scott the image of the American cowboy. His list of films { too many to list here } are some of the best to come out of Hollywood and are truly impressive.

I don't buy the title of "Poor Man's Gary Cooper", maybe he did a few films Coop passed on, but he was nobody's "Poor Man" as an actor...

YES for SOTM.......

Edited by: fredbaetz on Sep 14, 2010 8:38 PM

I am again officially on this bandwagon!!! Let's pull 'er in the barn this year, cowpokes!

Tell the head wrangler we needs some compliance on this here group consincesus...Yawllll....

TCM programmers,

I'll add my vote for Joel McCrea as SOTM. I'd really like to see Cukor's Girls About Town (1931), with McCrea, Kay Francis, Eugene Pallette, Lillyan Tashman. I haven't seen it in a long time and never on TCM. I loved this film on the big screen. It would be a wonderful addition to a McCrea schedule.

I'm all for it! Love the dude!

I would love to see LOTS of his pre-code flix, natch! But also many of his later westerns are very cool! Agree with all supporters!!

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> Include his ultra-rare Universal, HALF A SINNER (1934).

>

I also wouldn't mind seeing Joel McCrea as Star of the Month but especially if we could get to see HALF A SINNER (1934).

I've always wanted to see that one. It's the rarest of the three film versions of the play "Alias the Deacon" and the only one in which the lead is played by the actor who starred in the 1925 Broadway play: Berton Churchill.

I've seen the 1927 version (very good!) and the 1940 version (pretty good). Now let's get this one on TCM when (not if) Joel gets his month!

Mickey Rooney is in it, so too bad TCM couldn't have acquired it for his month in December.

And the leading lady is Sally Blane...I never get tired of seeing her!