Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lzcutter

Joel McCrea for Star of the Month

Hear, hear! I dropped his name into a general discussion of SOTM worthies back in April & didn't get any traction there & then. But this organized campaign is a great idea - glad I found it.

I say if TCM doesn't announce a month for him by festival time next April, those of us in attendance (and I so so SO hope that'll include me this time) should make & wear little campaign buttons, I-Like-Ike style:

McCREA for SOTM

There are better slogans out there, but better sloganeers will have to step up & create them, as the previous poster did. The floor is yours . . .

I see that *Come and Get It* is airing at 9:30 a.m. this Friday (Oct. 8th). A good Joel McCrea vehicle.

JOEL McCREA ! JOEL McCREA !

Star for a month -not just a day !

(hey, I realize these jingles stink...I'm just having some fun with being silly.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 4, 2010 10:09 AM

I just watched BUFFALO BILL, having rented it from Netflix. It features Joel McCrea and has Maureen O'Hara, Linda Darnell and Thomas Mitchell as costars. I didn't know what to expect from it. It has a lot of heart. The battle scenes were staged with massive amounts of extras and horses. Definitely had all the big Fox studio production values.

Joel was perfectly cast. I wonder how well this picture did at the box office in 1944. I have a feeling it was a strong moneymaker. It should be better remembered today.

buffalobill.jpg

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > Include his ultra-rare Universal, HALF A SINNER (1934).

> Free 1930s Universals from the vaults!

It makes me sick to my stomach when I browse IMDB by studio and see the ridiculously long vaulted Paramount titles!!!

I didn't know Joel McCrea was "fan-magazine" worthy as early as 1931!

5068003594_c21de9d8e3_z.jpg

New Movie Magazine 1931

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Oct 10, 2010 7:29 AM

JOEL McCREA ! JOEL McCREA !

Never in a film by

Nicholas Ray ! (sorry, was uninspired this morning.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 10, 2010 12:08 PM

He should be SOTM. Imagine this prime time lineup (in any order):

Foreign Correspondent

The More the Merrier

Palm Beach Story

Sullivan's Travels

GAAAA!

While I agree with McCrea as SOTM the good thing is the 4 movies you list have been shown on TCM in recent months and they are shown fairly often (if my memory is on track).

One reason is that other than his later westerns McCrea wasn't THE star of these movies. By 'THE' I mean that the movies didn't revolve mainly or solely around him as an actor.

Foreign Correspondent - a Hitchcock movie

The More the Merrier - Jean Authur was the star since she was at her peak

Palm Beach Story - Preston Sturges movie

Sullivan's Travels - Sturges movie

Of course all great directors did movies with major stars but the Hitchcock Grant movies are well known because of both of them, while many othe Hitchcock movies are known mostly as Hitchcock movies even when they stared major actors like Fonda.

So since McCrea was very busy and stared in a lot of high quality movies the good news is we get to see him fairly often regardless.

Encore Westerns is showing what they say is a little seen film of his from 1954, Black Horse Canyon, tomorrow night at 8:00 EST. Along for the ride are Mari Blanchard and Race Gentry(heard of him but never seen him in action). It's in color. I will definately be done with my packing. Great send off! Thought you'd all want to know as I'm not familiar with it either.

Back in Sept 2006 during the 3rd Programming Challenge I had McCrea as SOTM. "Filmlover" made covers for a simulated "Now Playing" guide for all the participants. He did one for McCrea. Alas, after much searching to even find it I discovered that the picture is gone. Darn.

*Alas, after much searching to even find it I discovered that the picture is gone. Darn.*

Chris,

It's probably because the imaging code for this forum changed since those halcyon days of TCM City.

It happened during one of those notorious upgrades about two years ago. That change in code rendered Mongo's very popular thread *Candid* unviewable and he started *Candids 2* down in the Filmmakers forum where he posts wonderful photos.

Apparently it is JOEL McCREA'S birthday this Friday -November 5th (also Guy Fawkes day: "please to remember the 5th of November". But I digress.)

Anyway, to honour this auspicious occasion, TCM is showing some Joel McCrea films on Friday - can't recall the exact times, but they include *The Most Dangerous Game,* *Foreign Correspondent*, and *The Palm Beach Story* .

JOEL McCREA !

JOEL McCREA !

An old-fashoned hero

Who often goes "Say..."

Do I detect a slight obsession with Joel McCrea? Foreign Correspondent is one of my favorite Hitch movies, its a shame they didn't get together for a few more. He would have been a great choice for a number of Hitchcock films.

Saay - don't you know, you can't think too highly of Joel McCrea. Plus, his name rhymes so easily.

JOEL McCREA !

JOEL McCREA !

From Frances Dee

He never did stray. (well, maybe he did, but not that I've ever heard of.)

I do agree that he would have been great in more Hitchcock movies .

If you, or someone you love, suffers from a Joel addiction, HELP IS AVAILABLE! The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Well it wasn't all a bed of roses for them. In 1935 they seperated, but got back together. I remember reading that in 1966 he filed for divorce citing cruelty, but with their vast holdings ,they were two of the richest people in Hollywood, that it was decided it would be better if they remained married. He died on their 57th anniversary. A wonderful film they did together and is very rarely shown is "Four Faces West" in 1948 co starring Charles Bickford as Sheriff Pat Garrett on the trail of bank robber McCrea who meets Dee and falls for her while trying to not get caught by Garrett. A fine little western with a nice twist....

JOEL McCREA !

JOEL McCREA !

His birthday's the same

As Guy Fawkes Day !

Truth be told, I am a big Joel McCrea fan, but the incessant doggerel with his name that I keep posting is more an addiction to fooling around with creating "poems" (undeserving of the word, I know) with his name than it is to a worship of him or his films. There's something about that name that works so well with a goofy jingle. "McCrea" rhymes with so many words.

Another name like that is "Ida Lupino". Hmm...

Edited by: misswonderly on Nov 2, 2010 4:31 PM